Storm over Canmore

While on a biking roadtrip to the Bragg Creek and Canmore area of the Canadian rockies last week a summer thundershower brings startlingly oversaturated colours and a double rainbow

Incoming

Clearing

Departing

Bring on the lightshow

It builds

Voila

Riverside campground

We did manage to get in some riding too over the week

Beautiful. I wish that we had more brief thunderstorms in the summer along the coast. It's refreshing on a hot day as long as you don't get zapped....

hope you got in a jewel/prairie view/razors edge

Sure did/ Perfect pine needled conditions. Highline too

niice. over there this weekend for those 2 fri sat. sunday golden

Lee since you're never short of an opinion... What's your take on the trails?
    I've ridden most of them so I don't care for a tourist blurb, more a quick comparison to your home turf.

Ive been back 4x in the last 12 years riding the Eastcott trails and lesser known off the map stuff. There's more people on the popular trails, just as few on the deathmarch hike a bike stuff. Overall the trails are a bit more worn but access is so much'easier to alpine than the Coast. Classic trails are still classic

Love moose mtn. So nice to have such good stuff in a concentrated area. Sad to see Banff NP is still so antibike despite all the platitudes

Dbl post

cool. I only ever rode Moose a couple times, had to drive past too many other trails to get there (& I hate doing that).

let me know when you are in BNF next, can show you around to some "other" options

I'm leaving this Friday for a 2 week road trip to hike, bike and camp in the Rockies. Tentative plans are to hit Golden, Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Mt Robson, Blue River, and back to Vancouver.

I'd totally be interested in riding with you Mtnlion and skibee, if you guys are around, or anyone else in these spots. I am hoping to meet-up with some friends but plans don't seem to be aligning just right.

Here on the Shore, I'm a strong intermediate rider.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I expect I was driving between Canmore and Banff through that very storm. It was classic, sheets of rain started coming down and I had to reach for my sunglasses at the same time. Then of course was the 'rainbow jam' trying to get across the tracks into Banff. All for some sushi with Mtnlion.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    let me know when you are in BNF next, can show you around to some "other" options
    Doing 10 days next year in Revy. Canmore, Bragg crk area but ride odd hours and have very little internet or phone

spark: PM me when you are in town, and if I can ride, I'll let you know. Either way I"ll give you local beta.
    http://www.bikepirate.com/ can help a lot too, guide books, canmore map, and online info all avail.

in lake louise park at the chateau lake louise and ride ross lake as an out and back, then ride moraine lake as an out and back (from paradise creek)
    banff: upper and lower stoney, and some of the tunnel mountain loops
    canmore: nordica center to go do some laps
    Exshaw go ride prospector
    K country: prairie view

why blue river? just bugs, logging, and some Euro trash

Quirk Creek/Wild Horse. This hardly ever has anyone on it because you have to wade the river. Long slog on a fireroad to start, but the downhill is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Quirk Creek/Wild Horse. This hardly ever has anyone on it because you have to wade the river. Long slog on a fireroad to start, but the downhill is awesome.
    Done and done!

Love storms like that, wish we got them more often
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    why blue river? just bugs, logging, and some Euro trash
    I'm just passing through there on my way to Vancouver - not planning on riding there. I'll PM when I get into town. Thanks!

Jasper is only 2 hours more from BR, and has some nicer accom options, food options and after drive rides too?

PM jetski for beta, he owns a shop in jasper

Sweet pics, but this thread is missing picture of your gnarled toe