Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Another near miss in the roundabouts of Bend yesterday. Boomer as per usual never looked, until he nearly took me out with his right front bumper. At least his reflexes were not too bad for an old guy, and his brakes worked. I've taken to riding in the center of the lane in the roundabouts. Too far left and they definitely never see you. Too far right and you have less margin for error. Had I been to the far right in the lane, I would be in the hospital right now with a bunch of broken bones.

I've actually started going on to the sidewalks and going through the crosswalks these days. Still not a sure thing you won't get hit. But I have seen two fender benders where a driver has hit the brakes last second to avoid hitting someone in the crosswalks next to the roundabouts, and the car following too close has rear ended the person stopping short because, well because no one pays attention while driving.

I have actually reduced the amount of time riding around town because of the traffic and stupidity of drivers here in Bend. Might just switch to the mtn bike and get off the road. It's patently obvious that motorists at least around here suck at driving. I have noticed that the few TX plates I see are the absolute worst drivers I have ever encountered. They apparently must not have to take a drivers test down there to get a license. Maybe they just hand out DL's when they are at the gun store.
    I appreciate many leave their lives to chance riding in traffic or with it around them. Me, no fuckin way am I riding with cars around. Ya, I don't really ride the bike much anymore. Bitching about cars is like bitching there are Grizzly's out there. Both are bigger than you, so use caution around them or don't go. Hell, even using caution, they can still fuck you up, so keep your eyes and ears on a swivel.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I appreciate many leave their lives to chance riding in traffic or with it around them. Me, no fuckin way am I riding with cars around. Ya, I don't really ride the bike much anymore. Bitching about cars is like bitching there are Grizzly's out there. Both are bigger than you, so use caution around them or don't go. Hell, even using caution, they can still fuck you up, so keep your eyes and ears on a swivel.
    Yeah, after about 100k bike commuter miles these past 22 years, I am getting to the point where my luck is running out. But, I'm still going to bitch.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Another near miss in the roundabouts of Bend yesterday. Boomer as per usual never looked, until he nearly took me out with his right front bumper. At least his reflexes were not too bad for an old guy, and his brakes worked. I've taken to riding in the center of the lane in the roundabouts. Too far left and they definitely never see you. Too far right and you have less margin for error. Had I been to the far right in the lane, I would be in the hospital right now with a bunch of broken bones.

I've actually started going on to the sidewalks and going through the crosswalks these days. Still not a sure thing you won't get hit. But I have seen two fender benders where a driver has hit the brakes last second to avoid hitting someone in the crosswalks next to the roundabouts, and the car following too close has rear ended the person stopping short because, well because no one pays attention while driving.

I have actually reduced the amount of time riding around town because of the traffic and stupidity of drivers here in Bend. Might just switch to the mtn bike and get off the road. It's patently obvious that motorists at least around here suck at driving. I have noticed that the few TX plates I see are the absolute worst drivers I have ever encountered. They apparently must not have to take a drivers test down there to get a license. Maybe they just hand out DL's when they are at the gun store.
    As the local sidewalk nazi, even I would not blame any cyclist for SWalking it around a turning circle. I have panic attacks in my care when dealing some of the car Morans .

Former Senator from Wyoming dies in bike accident near his home. RIP.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Former Senator from Wyoming dies in bike accident near his home. RIP.
    was it an accident, or did he get hit by a car. I couldnt find that.

he was old so may have just hit something.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    was it an accident, or did he get hit by a car. I couldnt find that.

he was old so may have just hit something.
    Latest I heard was that they think it was a solo accident and when they found him he was alone and no evidence of another vehicle being involved, but I don't know if that's official.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

That is what I read also. Two of my older/retired neighbors fell off/crashed solo on their bikes and fucked themselves up. At 62, that is when I said fuck it, water and snow don't hurt like asphalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post

I'm also kind of impressed by the guy apparently able to ride 200 miles (including Turnagain Pass I assume) with a kid in a trailer. Though riding Seward Highway during summer tourist season seems terrifying to me, with or without a kid.
    Good on them for thinking to bring Pedialyte too. And for having the selflessness of spirit to share it with the kid.
    They're so awesome.

Had to step back as I went out the door onto the sidewalk last night to avoid delivery guy flying past (battery assist for him I'm pretty sure to achieve max sidewalk speed), of course the usual number of cyclists blowing through lights (at least one doing so while riding uptown on a downtown avenue), and while I was driving the rare running of a red light from the sidewalk (coming down on the wheelchair accessible curb part) forcing me and another car to slow down (I was in the curbside lane and kind of knew the guy was going to do it so no real danger, but it was just the same disregard they always show for cars counting on drivers to give way--if I'd been some cabby playing with his phone the guy coulda had problems). Not to mention the pack of City Bikers I saw while walking home all going south on northbound 3rd Ave. Just funny to think of the people who somehow don't believe any of this happens around here. Usually all this kind of shit is just background noise for me, but since this thread I've been noticing.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Just funny to think of the people who somehow don't believe any of this happens around here.
    I 100% believe all that and more happens in NYC, and probably to a lesser degree in downtown SF, Portland and a few other cities. It's just not the norm in the vast, vast majority of cities and towns in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I 100% believe all that and more happens in NYC, and probably to a lesser degree in downtown SF, Portland and a few other cities. It's just not the norm in the vast, vast majority of cities and towns in America.
    Well, there were a few people posting here who didn't seem to get that and wanted to 'prove' it wasn't the case. And I am aware most places aren't like NYC in any number of ways, but I don't understand the people in this thread who were intent on telling me that I'm delusional about what everyone knows is the case here. (I mean, when I'm in some other cities I find it hard to believe when I see cyclists, and even pedestrians, waiting for the light to change, even when there isn't a vehicle in sight.)

I actually never really care about any of this (otherwise I'd spend all day raging out) and think a lot of it (breaking traffic laws) is acceptable/understandable (riding the wrong way down an empty street late at night, for example--why should anyone be bothered by that?). But some cyclists take it too far and just don't care about how they impact others or aren't aware, just as too many drivers are clueless and worse, which sometimes endangers cyclists.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    During Peak Fixie out here, I saw a hipster on a fixie get pulled over by a cop for skitching on a car. That was the only time I've ever seen a cyclist skitch a car, and one of the few times I've seen police write tickets for cyclists (or really, any road user). So that was pretty much like seeing Bigfoot riding a unicorn. In general, the delivery bike shenanigans that I understand are a thing in Manhattan don't happen here, I think that's kind of unique.

I'm telling you, the very routine delivery guy maneuver here where they blow through a side street red light and merge into heavy avenue traffic is really something to watch. Complete lack of self-regard. It's an advanced move you fairly rarely see with non-delivery guy cyclists. They often don't even turn their head to see where the oncoming traffic is. I think it's considered a bit like using a turn signal is sometimes--just go and provide less opportunity for your move to be challenged.

Every now and then there used to police bike blitzes where they'd spend a few days ticketing at certain intersections, but I think DeBlasio took too much heat from the anti-car/bike lobby and dropped that. (I do think enforcement could help with some of this--during the pandemic cops stopped issuing traffic tickets and there was a noticeable effect in how many people would be going 30+ over the speed limit--but it's not going to happen.)
    [quote][//quote]

Stay tuned for next week when Dexter almost gets hit by a shirtless Mexican with a wet towel over his head, riding a Walmart bmx bike down the sidewalk.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Stay tuned for next week when Dexter almost gets hit by a shirtless Mexican with a wet towel over his head, riding a Walmart bmx bike down the sidewalk.
    Will that happen in upstate?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

In my experience it's more a NYC thing.

In my experience it's more a NYC thing.
    I thought it happens everywhere in the US. Especially montana?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i had a good one the other morn going to work
    3 identically team kitted rolling douchenozzles
    pull off wasatch at the light by the gravel pit
    and ride 3 abreast down the new i215 entrance lane
    im in no hurry to work so i give em space but the dude behind me is honking so one of them flips us off
    they blow by the sign clearly telling them the bike lane moves to the left still in the peleton formation
    the smartest figures it out and pulls off right at the golf course
    the second rides it out and stops to the left before blocking the other i215 entrance ramp
    last defiant douche continues on and makes a big u turn almost gittin whacked by the 3rd turn lane traffic and has now blocked traffic on all 3 enterance ramps to a interstate hes not even fuckin allowed on and is defiantly cursing and flippin people off
    but hey he never had to unclip his pedals or own his sad fuckin fail
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^We're gonna need you to sketch this on some poster board using a few colored markers to figure this out.

Bunch of fucking babies over a few seconds.

Spending more time here demonizing douchebags in Lycra than those douchebags cost you IRL.

Good work Morans!

Yes, entitled road Freds are irritating / comical, but don't represent all cyclists anymore than the worst driver represents all drivers.

Speaking of worst driver, this happened pretty close to my house a few days ago - that compost bin never stood a chance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forrester.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	380701

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^We're gonna need you to sketch this on some poster board using a few colored markers to figure this out.
    oh they painted the road to say i125 entrance lane in several spots
    maybe the were busy looking to see if any strava followers or fans chalked well wishes of inspiration instead
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Looks like Enzi's accident was just that, sorry for jumping the gun.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yes, entitled road Freds are irritating / comical, but don't represent all cyclists anymore than the worst driver represents all drivers.

Speaking of worst driver, this happened pretty close to my house a few days ago - that compost bin never stood a chance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forrester.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	380701
    Is that Belmont St?
    I’m guessing alcohol was a contributing factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Had to step back as I went out the door onto the sidewalk last night to avoid delivery guy flying past (battery assist for him I'm pretty sure to achieve max sidewalk speed), of course the usual number of cyclists blowing through lights (at least one doing so while riding uptown on a downtown avenue), and while I was driving the rare running of a red light from the sidewalk (coming down on the wheelchair accessible curb part) forcing me and another car to slow down (I was in the curbside lane and kind of knew the guy was going to do it so no real danger, but it was just the same disregard they always show for cars counting on drivers to give way--if I'd been some cabby playing with his phone the guy coulda had problems). Not to mention the pack of City Bikers I saw while walking home all going south on northbound 3rd Ave. Just funny to think of the people who somehow don't believe any of this happens around here. Usually all this kind of shit is just background noise for me, but since this thread I've been noticing.
    You think that's bad. Just wait until all those Boomers with hip and knee replacements are bombing about on their battery powered mobility carts/scooters.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch