Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jong Rooftop Box Question

I've always had regular ski racks. I'm thinking of upgrading to a rooftop box with the idea that I could put skins on my skis at home, then drive to the trailhead and start skinning.

Is this a reasonable idea or will the rooftop box be so full of snow and ice from regular use that it'll never really dry out, leading me to never put skins in it because of the likelihood of skins getting wet?

I also like the idea of being able to use the box for summer camping and road tripping, etc but I may hold off if my winter skins in rooftop box dreams aren't realistic.

I left the box up there for 10 yrs,

I put skis, paddle gear, camping gear, computer parts in it

you can put the skins on at home if you want
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Rooftop coffin is great for smelly wet stuff during the summer too
    or just extra storage that doesn’t fit in the vehicle
    your skin idea is not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've always had regular ski racks. I'm thinking of upgrading to a rooftop box with the idea that I could put skins on my skis at home, then drive to the trailhead and start skinning.

Is this a reasonable idea or will the rooftop box be so full of snow and ice from regular use that it'll never really dry out, leading me to never put skins in it because of the likelihood of skins getting wet?

I also like the idea of being able to use the box for summer camping and road tripping, etc but I may hold off if my winter skins in rooftop box dreams aren't realistic.
    I've never had a problem with a box staying wet, but leaving skins on skis like that increases your chances of getting glue residue on your bases. Wouldn't be a problem on a short drive. Buy I wouldnt do it for a couple hours on a sunny day when the box might get hot on the inside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Putting on my skins takes less time than putting on my boots, and you need a damn good walk mode to drive a manual transmission more than a few miles. If that's your only reason, save yourself a few mpg and stick with the rack. Or get a wagon and put your skis inside. A good reason to get a box is you have too much shit to fit in the car, or like to fill your car up with people when you drive to the mountains.

PS Skins get wet every time you use them. They are treated with DWR at the factory to limit water absorption, and if you are smart you will wax them periodically. I'd worry more about the skins getting heated up in the spring and summer (if you ski then).

Lol, I'm just close enough to skiing (4.5 miles and minutes with no stop lights) to consider driving in ski boots.

The idea I have in my head is that I could put on skins and ski boots in the warmth of my garage and then drive to skiing, hop out and get going.

Good to hear that the roof box won't stay wet inside.

Rooftop boxes are great, they keep your skis dry and free of road grime, I never want to go back to ski racks. But I never put my skins on before putting the skis in there. That's a 60 second trailhead activity.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

At that distance you might even be fine with the rack since it's so quick.

Box is still nice for wet / stink though like mentioned above

Just make sure that your skins and skis are the same temperature when you put them on. Always acclimate the skin. Kinda like fore play. You don’t always have to but usually makes it smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I like to leave my skins on and keep the skis in the roof box until the next time I go out.

Saves times on both ends.
    How do your skins dry in the roof box?

It never occurred to me to do this. Putting skins on and having a safety talk at the trailhead is such an ingrained part of the ritual for me. Like a beacon check. Gives you a few minutes to process the endeavor with a semi clear mind.

Inevitably, the inside of the roof box gets dirty. If you're going to pre-apply your skins, it's probably a good idea to wash (or at least shop-vac) your box at the start of the ski season to get rid of the dirt from summer camping adventures.

Roof box really handy. I find that the hit to fuel economy is about the same as my regular ski rack - about 10% reduction in MPGs.

REALLY the drying bit is about drying the glue so it doesnt fuck up and migrate to your bases

So I had pontoons in ski rack. Got to the hill and one ski had more rocker than before. Also road grime and crap made me get a box. I love it and they last about 5-7 years on the locks mainly. It’s worth it to me and I can put other wet crap up there’s if I need to. Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have dealt with the little box puddles by drilling tiny drain holes in the spots where water sits. Small enough that standing water drip-drains out but salty road spray doesn’t get in.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    whatever you do, upon return, don't get distracted by a family emergency and leave your wet skis in the box for a couple days. talk about the perfect environment to accelerate edge rust.

Do it. I wish I could. I have a Thule box, but it doesn't fit on my car in the garage and would be a PITA to take on/off everytime I went out.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    they get wet again once I start skinning, so it doesn't really matter. Its about efficiency and comfort.

I put skins on at home sometimes that have been brought in to dry but i wouldn't store them wet

"To hydrolyze a bond is to break it apart with water. From the Greek words hydro and lysis, or “water break”, hydrolyze is literally just that. Water (or H2O) breaks into two parts: a positive hydrogen, H+, and a negative hydroxide, (OH)–. "

why ^^ glue wants to be dryed after use, having said that a lot of glue jobs have been overheated above the wood stove in BC huts

I keep a packing moving blanket in the bottom of my box. Help keep skis nice and not moving around. When I get home I dry skis and lay out moving blanket to dry. Then put moving blanket back and skis in. Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I Can't speak to road salt using a roof top rack but carrying skis in the thule or in the back of a covered PU as long as I stand the skis up on the tails in-doors at home with the metal edges NOT touching they have never rusted IME

+1 on the blanket in the box + a couple strategically-placed holes.

Blanket keeps skis & crap from shifting around, then flings out 90% of the snow. We just use a fleece one, but need to remember to take stuff when temps hover around freezing -> PITA to rip frozen blanket off edges / similar to separating fat skins.

Wow rocketbox management is serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I left the box up there for 10 yrs,
    Holy shit, did you just have to take an electric hacksaw to everything to take it off? I left mine on for three, and that was a mess. The bolts and wing nuts whatever really should be loosened and greased once a year.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 10-16-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Remember to install your box backwards in order to reduce aerodynamic drag!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy shit, did you just have to take an electric hacksaw to everything to take it off? I left mine on for three, and that was a mess. The bolts and wing nuts whatever really should be loosened and greased once a year.
    It's the wind chill effect. Affect. Aeffect?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.