Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do not sacrifice your friends during a bear attack

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

That’s funny. So that’s the advice from the actual National Park Service? Or the Onion?

And here I thought I only had to run faster than you, not the bear. Who knew?

No friends on a bear attack day.

on the way back from camp this spring I clocked a griz at 30mph which looked pretty cool, i once clocked a black at 40mph uphill
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You bring a radar gun on your camping trips?

Roads are also the easiest way for a bar to get around, the griz was running down the road in front of the delivery van so speed match/ check the speedo and its doing 30mph, the black was running up a road out of a river valley steep with cliffs on either side of the road, I speed matched it at 40mph before it dove off the down side of the road

A griz at 30mph looks cool with all that fur shaking around, I seen 10 of them that day, had to walk a km in Bar country when the truck broke down

That’s great. Reminds me of when I use to take people on horseback rides just outside Denali. At least one guest would always ask if the horses could outrun a bear. I would answer either “ mine can” or “ I don’t know but mine can outrun yours”.

we were out doing research way the fuck out there so we were camped when a scary large Griz comes up the road at us so the 3 of us yell at it

bear hangs a 90 degree , goes down thru a valley hangs another 90, runs up a ridge paralell to the road we are on to avoid us

we assume it hangs another 90 to come back up on to the same road and continues on its way

but having to go over there to count trees on difficult terrain considering how fast the bar went trhu it was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    we were out doing research way the fuck out there so we were camped when a scary large Griz comes up the road at us so the 3 of us yell at it

bear hangs a 90 degree , goes down thru a valley hangs another 90, runs up a ridge paralell to the road we are on to avoid us

we assume it hangs another 90 to come back up on to the same road and continues on its way

but having to go over there to count trees on difficult terrain considering how fast the bar went trhu it was amazing
    They're purpose built for it. We aren't.

on the way back from camp this spring I clocked a griz at 30mph which looked pretty cool, i once clocked a black at 40mph uphill
    We clocked a brownie in SE AK on a gravel road at somewhere between 45-50mph per the pickup’s speedometer. It then left the road and ran down a hill full of deadfall and devils club.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    That’s funny. So that’s the advice from the actual National Park Service? Or the Onion?
    I didn't Snope it, but the original article I got it from was in the Guardian, so I feel it is somewhat legit...

Here is the news article which linked to the FB page I posted originally:

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...ficing-friends
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

That post does not surprise me. I followed NPS on Instagram for awhile and whoever writes their posts is really flippant--especially for officialdom. Occasionally funny, but I got annoyed with it after awhile and unfollowed.

I thought it was great.

Be snarky. Go viral. Reach more people.

If half the readers remember that running is the worst thing to do, then mission accomplished
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I didn't Snope it, but the original article I got it from was in the Guardian, so I feel it is somewhat legit...

Here is the news article which linked to the FB page I posted originally:

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...ficing-friends
    I figured y'all were referencing the CNN article. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/be...rnd/index.html

Everyone knows you pull down your faster friends, not push down the slower ones.

the land speed and the climbing speed of an angry bear is hard to comprehend - but you get an idea about how fucked you would be if that thing decided you were a threat to its cub. Probably best to just turn and face the sun and say goodbye.

the speed they travel down the hill and up the tree is amazing !!

the speed they travel down the hill and up the tree is amazing !!
    How easy would it be to find yourself walking through the bush like that black bear - you probably wouldn't even notice the momma upslope until you heard a rustling in the bushes and then the freight train coming downhill would slam into you.

I yell out for bears every 10 steps or so when traveling through bear country. Saw momma grizzlies with cubs 3 times in the last month - each time they were running away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    How easy would it be to find yourself walking through the bush like that black bear - you probably wouldn't even notice the momma upslope until you heard a rustling in the bushes and then the freight train coming downhill would slam into you.

I yell out for bears every 10 steps or so when traveling through bear country. Saw momma grizzlies with cubs 3 times in the last month - each time they were running away from me.

You can't hear a bear coming. They don't make noise like a deer or a dog. They're only going to rustle when they're running and dgaf.
    Bears "part the brush" like nothing else. In some country, parting brush is the only evidence you'll have that a bear is moving.
    Bear bells are worthwhile. Clacking aluminum trekking poles together makes a mechanical sound, sliding them together sounds like lapping a knife blade.

Back in May, I had 2 incidents of bears close to me in the same week. Both big bears, 6 footers still in winter coat.
    The first likely came down a steep wooded hill, but he cut the Carter Lake trail about 50 feet in front of me, like he intended to go the same direction. He didn't know I was there, and took off downhill when I barked at him and waved my polls. I took it as coincidence and kept on hiking.
    Two days later, I was going up a steep noisy creekbed on a windy afternoon, and a big ol blackie came around a rock ledge about 30 feet from me, totally unaware. I yelled and startled him, which put the odds in my favor, since he had the higher ground. Also waved both hands and polls, which made me look bigger. He spun and split, like a good bear.
    I had bear spray and a whistle, but he had the drop on me and could have been on me in one hop. He was 400lbs...
    Come to find out he was headed to a bear hunter's bait station, which I discovered about a minute later. Nice.

Sooo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200701_175758.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	336818  

Baiting bears with junk food is Fucking lame
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”