Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What skis to get for Japan?

So I've been skiing on Volkl Bridges for the mean time, and they're fine but they're beat up to shit and I'd rather get a powder-specific ski.

Height: 180cm (5"11)
    Weight: 75kg (165lbs)

Ideally I want something that is suited for the trees and Japanese pow. From the research I've done it seems most people say the JJ's or HellBents. I've only skied a few pow skis, didn't like the Coomback too much but loved this ski that Fischer released 100 of in conjunction with a movie they released but that was 191cm and way too big..

So I guess.. what ski? I imagine the 189 HellBent are probably too big? And this might be idiotic but I'm tempted to put some touring bindings on the skis so I can use them as a touring set up (I know.. there's the weight issue but I've toured with heavy set ups before and it's been alright)

Read the reviews at blistergearreview.com. They reviewed a number of pow sticks in Japan, and really liked the Squad 7 and 188 Protest.

As someone who is your size, but has never skied Japan, I would personally be looking at the DPS 192 Lotus 138 or the 188 Praxis Protest. Also consider the 191 ON3P Caylor or 186 Renegade (which I own and love it).

If you insist on the heavy, soft ski that is the Hellbent, you best go 189.

PS: If you want to tour, consider the SollyFit or DynaLook plate from bindingfreedom.com.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If you have some $$$ to spend check out the Squad 7's. I imagine they would be perfect for Japan

You're going to Hokkaido, right?

My season pass is at Zao, which is a forest with tighter trees than Hokkaido resorts. I'm looking at the Renegade to replace my first gen Maven, which is practically perfect for deep snow forest turns, but too soft outside the forest. The newer, stiffer Maven is a cheaper option for you and likely loves forests.

You can't really go too big as long as it's rockered with a slarvy tail. You likely don't want a charger, especially in January, before the forest is super filled in and completely open. I've had buddies visit and exhaust themselves on their big mountain skis. Just say No to flat tails.

Also, structure your bases and keep them fast. Deep, blower snow with lots of static is torture on fat skis with slow bases. Like walk-on-your-skis-down-the-hill, why-don't-these-skis-slide torture. I mix dominator zoom/graphite with Holmenkol yellow alpha on a daily basis. (And I'd love to hear what other people use for deep, dry, staticky snow.) It is by far the hardest snow to wax for.

Ya, Hokkaido. Thanks for the input so far guys, unfortunately getting Protest's doesn't seem to be an option as I can't find anywhere in Europe that sells them.

The Squad 7 look good but holy shit they're expensive. Will have a closer look at the maven, renegade and DPS later today.

You could've got the Countdown 1 or 5 and supported a maggot company. You still could, but the presale price was particularly compelling.

http://www.downskis.com/ski-specifications/countdown-1
    http://www.downskis.com/ski-specifications/countdown-5

If you're in EU, look into the Faction Royale.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I can find the Royale 11/12 for quite cheap.. but I don't really know much about the technicalities of skis. They seem more aimed at steep, fast powder? Will they be responsive, float enough for Japan?

Sorry if some of these questions sound like some dipshit jong...

I haven't skied Japan.

I haven't skied the Royales, but at 125 mm underfoot, I would think that float shouldn't be an issue. Tip and tail rocker should allow for them to be loose for trees.

Praxis will ship to Europe.

I am one of the few that like the Rossi S7, and that's in a 188 (didn't like the super 7, and I haven't tried the squad 7). But at 115 or 117 for the S7, whatever the waist is, they may not be fat enough for you.

I bought of pair of whitedot redeemers, which I haven't skied yet. 180 and 190 lengths available. Pretty heavy ski (10.5 lbs for the 180 cm with 128 mm underfoot). Tip and tail rocker with zero camber underfoot would be nice and maneuverable, but 190 is supposed to be a charger ski.

I'm 5'8" 165 lbs
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by miketheskier View Post
    Ya, Hokkaido. Thanks for the input so far guys, unfortunately getting Protest's doesn't seem to be an option as I can't find anywhere in Europe that sells them.
    You get Protests from www.praxisskis.com They indeed ship to Europe - and seem to be a decent number of folks (by small indy standards) in Europe with Praxis skis. Code TGR should get you 20% off website list until end of month. That makes for a pretty amazing deal. I am pretty sure both Protests and Powder Boards are in stock & ship out within a day or so. Why do I mention Powder Boards? While I have not yet skied Japan, I spend a decent amount of time in deep maritime snow. If I were packing for a Japan trip right now, I'd be tearing my hair out about whether to take Protests (for a bit more snow condition range) or Powder Boards (for going all in on pure powder performance). And yes - I have dozens of days on each, so my ski bias is experience based...

Another suggestion would be the Bentchetler. It has a really short turning radius (19m if I remember correctly) making it fantastic for tree skiing. It was the only pair of skis I brought to Hokkaido.

Line Opus is another option to consider. The top sheets will fit in nicely with the Japan vibe too (not that top sheets matter at all).

i don't know how wide you intend to go, but i've yet to find a tight deep pow ski, fall and your buried in a tree well ski then the 185 kuro, its like being on snowlerblades, pivoty pivoty pivoty, floaty, floaty, floaty
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I can give you some quick info on the Faction Royale since I use them as my daily driver at Kirkwood, They are unreal, I have owned hellbents, ep pro's, nightrains, bibby's, bacon's and the Royale's are far the best ski I have ever been on, Medium stiff, rockerd tip and tail, but not as extreme as the hellbent's, 122 underfoot, super quick edge to edge, float unreal, stiff enough to blast the crud and chopped up powder yet still super playful and light, one of the most underated and versatle ski's out there, if you can get a pair for a good price, go for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    Another suggestion would be the Bentchetler. It has a really short turning radius (19m if I remember correctly) making it fantastic for tree skiing. It was the only pair of skis I brought to Hokkaido.
    This was my choice. Perfect for trees, deep pow, jibbing, not bad for touring, and holds it's own on groomers.

Aaah decisions! I can get the Royale's for just under 500 bucks, which seems good to me... Think I might go for them.

As for bindings.. any ideas on what beast to put on a set of Royale's? I don't really need a high DIN, I have it about 8-10 these days. Or should I just use the Dynastar PX-12 I got from my other set of skis and stop spending all my money on skiing.

Thanks again for all the help.

edit: So should go I for 190cm height over 183cm? I know it's rockered it just still seems a bit long :/

I'd go for Barons or Tour 12's (both Marker).
    Maybe Baron for more durability...

Both give you the ability to skin, and the clean-ness of release from a step-in binding

If you don't care about being able to skin, save the dough and use your px-12's

consider pm'ing skiwithcharlie

seems as if he's skied both lengths

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...21#post3781621

The 183 Royale and 190 are 2 different ski's, the 190 is stiffer and more directional with less tail rocker, the 183 ( measures at 180cm) has equel rocker tip and tail 15/300 and is a little softer and is more of a backcountry freestyle ski, better for Japan. I have px 14 on mine and there fine. There is 2 mounting points on the 183 -2 from center for freestyle and -6 for more freeride, I went -3 and have no complaints.

If you have to ask this question, then you do not deserve to go ski DEEP POW in Japan.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Just get 115mm or so skis that turn easy in trees and, depending on tastes, can also bomb around easy on groomers.

Actually, why don't you rent them there? Your question makes it sound like it is a first time trip into snow and terrain like this, so I wouldn't rush into buying.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    PM Gear Llasa Pow
    Attachment 123503
    Dude, you have entirely too much money. Fack!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    If you have to ask this question, then you do not deserve to go ski DEEP POW in Japan.
    My thoughts exactly...!

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I bought of pair of whitedot redeemers, which I haven't skied yet. 180 and 190 lengths available. Pretty heavy ski (10.5 lbs for the 180 cm with 128 mm underfoot). Tip and tail rocker with zero camber underfoot would be nice and maneuverable, but 190 is supposed to be a charger ski.

I'm 5'8" 165 lbs
    They also come in carbon now...