Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TR: Stranded in the Wilderness at Kicking Horse (not me)

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Sad. Seems like its happening less at kicking horse and rmr these days. Hopefully the word is out and it was just a few years of expansion growing pains

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Reaffirms my always having a working lighter on me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’d tweak out. Glad he lived to tell.

Glad he lived and glad he's not suing the rescue services for his own poor decisions like that guy from 2009 did.

Where is the stream bed that he ended up in? Superbowl sidecountry side or Feuzbowl? It's not really clear to me the way how it is shown in the video. Amazing story and glad he lived.

The stream bed he ends up in is called Canyon Creek. It runs along the entire backside of Kicking Horse and can be seen on Google Maps. I've never skied at Kicking Horse but it appears you could end up in Canyon Creek from any of the bowls by going directly off the back of the mountain and dropping down.

Waaay down

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

TR: Stranded in the Wilderness at Kicking Horse (not me)

Damn, brings back chilling memories for me. It happened to me at revelstoke and I spent the night down by the river. I learned the hard way and have really changed my planning and rules for BC. Glad he made it and I’m forever grateful to BC SAR

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Sketchy. Skis vs. snowboard would have helped a lot in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Damn, brings back chilling memories for me. It happened to me at revelstoke and I spent the night down by the river. I learned the hard way and have really changed my planning and rules for BC. Glad he made it and I’m forever grateful to BC SAR

Dam. How’d you stay warm?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Dam. How’d you stay warm?

I put hands in trail mix bag to create vapor barrier. Put arms inside jacket under arm pits and also kept blood flowing in my legs with movement. Was really sore. Main challenge was staying awake but knew I couldn’t sleep or I would not wake up. Played mind games and blew my safety whistle a lot. It was a long night and still get cold was sometimes.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Glad you survived the night ^^.

That dudes story was frightening, would hate to see how he was acting after several nights out. Losing a foot is a high price to pay fro a mistake following tracks.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Man. I began a panic attack just watching the video. Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I skied off the top of the resort down into the BC after a 2-foot dump. The wind had erased my tracks and the evergreens were so weighed down with ice and snow I could not find the trail back to the resort after skinning back up. I kept running into tight dead ends and having to skin backwards in deep snow. Fortunately, I found my way out of the maze before it got dark.

Doesn't it bother you that people who get themselves in trouble are so often people who are from somewhere else? They put our local SAR people at risk due to their own poor judgment. Is ignorance an excuse? Should Darwin prevail?

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Doesn't it bother you that people who get themselves in trouble are so often people who are from somewhere else? They put our local SAR people at risk due to their own poor judgment. Is ignorance an excuse? Should Darwin prevail?
    What's wrong with being from somewhere else? Xenophobic much?

Quote Originally Posted by mtflyer View Post
    What's wrong with being from somewhere else? Xenophobic much?
    To be more specific, by 'somewhere else' I mean somewhere without mountains and therefore they are also without the knowledge and skills to know what they are doing in them and the consequences for failure. Just ask Whistler or the North Shore SAR how many tourists they have saved from their own stupidity.
    Last edited by apex dave; 11-27-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    It was a long night and still get cold was sometimes. Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not ski related but I got stuck in the bush and spent an unplanned night totally unprepared in freezing temps a coupa years ago. Got wet and cold. Was a shivering mess till dawn when i walked out 18kms to civilization. Couldn't really handle the cold for a full year; was pretty traumatized and the body just couldn't take it. Started Wim Hof breathing and cold water immersion to begin resetting the mind and body this summer. Seems to be working...sure as hell wasn't easy but confronted the deep fear and changed the physiology. Kinda love the cold now. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

SAR is there to help people. Number one goal on a SAR operation should always be rescuer safety. I understand what you are trying to say, but you're coming across as a total prick. Ignorance is not an excuse, but no one is perfect.

What we can do is educate, mentor, and help people we run into in the mountains that look like they could use it. People who go into the mountains unprepared sometimes die, but to say they deserve it is awfully shallow.

To be more specific, by 'somewhere else' I mean somewhere without mountains and therefore the also without the knowledge and skills to know what they are doing in them and the consequences for failure. Just ask Whistler or the North Shore SAR how many tourists they have saved from their own stupidity.
    we have mountains in the east. that guy from ontario that got lost at whiteface wasn’t found for like three months!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    we have mountains in the east. that guy from ontario that got lost at whiteface wasn’t found for like three months!
    At the San Francisco airport!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    SAR is there to help people.
    This. People sometimes act like it's cool or something to feel bad for SAR when they get called out. Sure, maybe if it's a false call out like a SPOT misuse or something then that sucks for everyone involved. But if someone's legit lost? That's 100% what SAR is there for and why those men and women signed up to be on SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This. People sometimes act like it's cool or something to feel bad for SAR when they get called out. Sure, maybe if it's a false call out like a SPOT misuse or something then that sucks for everyone involved. But if someone's legit lost? That's 100% what SAR is there for and why those men and women signed up to be on SAR.
    The only part I feel bad about is that SAR is nearly 100% volunteer. Many of those people are missing work to be out there unpaid.

Also, I didn't mention this in my last post but shaming people about calling SAR can also create another issue- putting off calling until it is too late or almost too late. This issue can directly affect rescuer safety. Anyone in the field will tell you they would rather be called too early or put on standby vs. waiting too long.

Stop making stupid people famous:
    Idiot. Plain and simple. Every single year there's at least one death from yahoos coming to the Rockies from Quebec (and sometimes Ontario) to get rad and the die because they can't or won't follow simple directions or signage.
    "heh, heh i move to the montagnes to get the sponcership and film ze movies''
    As mentioned in the article it's a great way to get rid of your wife if that's your thing.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Stop making stupid people famous:
    Idiot. Plain and simple. Every single year there's at least one death from yahoos coming to the Rockies from Quebec (and sometimes Ontario) to get rad and the die because they can't or won't follow simple directions or signage.
    "heh, heh i move to the montagnes to get the sponcership and film ze movies''
    As mentioned in the article it's a great way to get rid of your wife if that's your thing.
    Honestly man, it's the same conversation everywhere there are mountains (despite my joke ^^^) but do you want people just dying in your backyard?

49 people rescued in one season at one of the 50 ski areas in tiny Vermont... by February?:
    https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...rails/5536191/

Article complaining about the cost of rescue from 1982 on Mount Washington:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/02/u...s/default.aspx

The mountains take even our most badass climbers, this guy was more accomplished at 26 than I ever hope to be:
    https://www.outsideonline.com/230677...-andre-leclerc

Meanwhile you look at these places, how many people would be able to live and work in revy without tourism, 1/15th?