Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2014 Praxis Skis + review / mounting resource guide

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 04-24-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 04-16-2014 at 05:27 AM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 06-07-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

However much I would like the GPO, Protests, Wootests, etc, I donīt see a "need" for any of them. The Backcountry, on the other hand, looks killer. How is it in a stiff flex, anyone?

nice thread Vt, thanks for pulling all this stuff together.

The 9D8 has EC written all over it for an everyday driver.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    The 9D8 has EC written all over it for an everyday driver.
    I'm certainly eying it as my EC daily driver replacement. I was thinking of going on the bottom half of 88-98mm group of skis, but the 9D8 looks pretty great. I'll be eager to see what people say once they've skied it.

I would have loved to see a longer version (190) Piste Jib instead of the 9D8 (as a replacement for Rossi S3s)

What to do with this 20% off code....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    ^^^^^ Nice problem isn't it?

Those 187 Protests with the GPO top sheet are still calling my name.....

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    However much I would like the GPO, Protests, Wootests, etc, I donīt see a "need" for any of them. The Backcountry, on the other hand, looks killer. How is it in a stiff flex, anyone?
    It's more of a medium or medium/stiff kind of ski. I had the original, pre-carbon version. The beauty of that ski was it's versatility. It floats in pow, handles shitty snow (schmoo, crusts) very, very well, and is stable going fast, but remains very, very easy to ski at slow speeds. I sold mine only because they were a bit of a tweener ski for me at 180. Shorter than ideal for powder, and wider than ideal for spring touring. In a stiff layup, you would lose that ease of use when billy goating or making survival turns.

If you want more of a charger, maybe look at the Freeride (I've never actually skied it). If you want a looser, surfier charger, look at the MVP. I have 187's in a medium-stiff, fiberglass layup. Great all around ski that is happier tracking straight than the BC's, AND more slarvy, but requires more input and more angulation to carve, and has a bit less pop in the tail at low speeds. That said, I wouldn't want either in a stiff flex. The MVP's hand flex a bit stiffer than my 185 Cochises at the tips and tail and a bit softer underfoot. Better in powder than Cochises, not as damp.

BC 131-106-121
    MVP 133-110-126 with longer tail rocker and more splay.

Thanks, excellent writeup!

norsk

ISBD just fucked me up more than I already was

I really need three new pair. My wife thinks I need zero new pair, since I have shelf full in the basement. She doesn't understand that skis go bad kind of like perishable foods.

Has anyone skied the same model in both the carbon and all-glass versions?

Arild - Think about the GPO a little more and you could start to see a "need" for it.

Selle - +1 for 190 piste jibs. That would be SWEET. That said, I doubt the 184 would disappoint. Spring bumps and park...Actually for that purpose, I doubt the 193 MVP would disappoint.

Shit, what am I gonna do with my 20% code...?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Yeti-woo-9d8-gpo-protest would be a hard quiver to beat....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

anyone have comparison between the bc and yeti? thinking about a dedicated touring ski for nz conditions. i like the comments about the bc being good in variable conditions as we have a lot of that in the nz backcountry, am basically looking for a quiver of one touring ski and for a bit of ski mountaineering as well.
    like the look of the bc but think it might be a bit on the wider side for ski mountaineering, any thoughts? how do the yeits go in the powder? do they still get a bit of float going with the rocker? keeping in mind that powder in nz is usually fairly heavy and not overly deep in general.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_mikey View Post
    anyone have comparison between the bc and yeti? thinking about a dedicated touring ski for nz conditions. i like the comments about the bc being good in variable conditions as we have a lot of that in the nz backcountry, am basically looking for a quiver of one touring ski and for a bit of ski mountaineering as well.
    like the look of the bc but think it might be a bit on the wider side for ski mountaineering, any thoughts? how do the yeits go in the powder? do they still get a bit of float going with the rocker? keeping in mind that powder in nz is usually fairly heavy and not overly deep in general.
    See this thread for more info: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s....php?p=3948494
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

How does one get a discount code? Thinking about some Wootests...

I've got the BC it is an awesome ski, but I'm looking for something smaller for ski mountaineering. I'm on 180 BC's and weight 72kg and imo it is best in soft snow conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't been on the Yeti, and have been wondering if it is too wide for spring mountaineering.

Quote Originally Posted by yukoncornelius View Post
    I've got the BC it is an awesome ski, but I'm looking for something smaller for ski mountaineering. I'm on 180 BC's and weight 72kg and imo it is best in soft snow conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't been on the Yeti, and have been wondering if it is too wide for spring mountaineering.
    yea, think I'm leaning towards the yeti, I feel like its a good hard snow ski that would still be quite fun in the soft stuff as well rather than the bc which I think would be a good soft snow ski that would do ok on hard snow, if that makes sense. It's been a while since I've been on a ski less than 100mm under foot!

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    The Backcountry, on the other hand, looks killer. How is it in a stiff flex, anyone?
    Don't know, but the med/stiff is pretty much the same as my old Armada Ants before they got soft. The tip is more of a medium though. I'd say it's a 5 on Marshal's old scale. Underfoot 6 or 7? It's pretty playful in the trees and handled the thick wind- and suncrust on Nordvestlandet well. The tips are unsinkable, but get a bit catchy if you turn too much. Which I tend to do in those conditions.

yea, think I'm leaning towards the yeti, I feel like its a good hard snow ski that would still be quite fun in the soft stuff as well rather than the bc which I think would be a good soft snow ski that would do ok on hard snow, if that makes sense. It's been a while since I've been on a ski less than 100mm under foot!
    There's obviously a difference but the BC holds a edge like no other ~105mm ski I've skied. Better than both the old ANTs, cochises, and black crows navis. Of course it depends on how steep and how hard, but skiing 40-45` chalk was a lot of fun earlier this week.

I got a code for buying a pair of closeout Concepts. Anyone need it?

If someone has a 20% code please PM me... I am ordering 193 MVPs in the next week... I have been converted and am really digging center mounted skis...

Code taken.