Page 1575 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 ... LastLast
Results 39,351 to 39,375 of 46279
    I haven't seen that Paulster. I prefer Canada and Yurp when they come to the table with the credit card thing, put in the tip, scan the card and bam done.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I met some work friends for a beer and food a while back. Service was normal, read a menu, ask for shit, they bring it, blah blah blah. But when it came time to pay, whooo boy - AMAZING.

You'd just scan a QR code on the table and all the shit that the table ordered would come up. You just check off what you want to pay for, how much you want to tip, and badaboom it charges your card and subracts it all from the total. It was the best - makes it easy on the staff to just make one big tab for the table, and makes it easy on everyone else. If you want to pay for just you, fine. Pay for everyone, fine. Pay for you and another person, all good. I loved it.
    That's fine if you have a payment app or cc info on your phone. To this old fart having a gateway to my finances on my phone seems risky. For me to pay by QR I had to thumb in name, zip, cc number, exp date, cvv

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I haven't seen that Paulster. I prefer Canada and Yurp when they come to the table with the credit card thing, put in the tip, scan the card and bam done.
    Places in the U.S. are slowly come around to this, at least. I can't believe it's taken so long. Seems like it's been this way in Canada for a decade at least.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I met some work friends for a beer and food a while back. Service was normal, read a menu, ask for shit, they bring it, blah blah blah. But when it came time to pay, whooo boy - AMAZING.

You'd just scan a QR code on the table and all the shit that the table ordered would come up. You just check off what you want to pay for, how much you want to tip, and badaboom it charges your card and subracts it all from the total. It was the best - makes it easy on the staff to just make one big tab for the table, and makes it easy on everyone else. If you want to pay for just you, fine. Pay for everyone, fine. Pay for you and another person, all good. I loved it.
    A restaurant here (Crosscut Pizza in Ned for anyone in these parts) has hand-held devices the servers carry to input your order. And when it comes time to pay, it's easy peasy to each pay your own shit, they just tag what you ordered and you give them your card and boom! Slightly different than what you describe, more Old Goat friendly since no QR or phone app/input required. Just an old fashioned credit card.

I wish more places would invest in that type of point of sale system.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Shit that annoys you

I’ve been so broke for so long (plus, Covid) I can’t hardly remember eating at a restaurant other than one where if you’re ordering while seated, you’re in your car.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Places in the U.S. are slowly come around to this, at least. I can't believe it's taken so long. Seems like it's been this way in Canada for a decade at least.
    Yeah, was in Vegas 5 years ago and at that time I was surprised I still had to use a physical card.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Yeah, was in Vegas 5 years ago and at that time I was surprised I still had to use a physical card.
    CC for hookers n blow?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's fine if you have a payment app or cc info on your phone. To this old fart having a gateway to my finances on my phone seems risky. For me to pay by QR I had to thumb in name, zip, cc number, exp date, cvv
    OG, I will say that I would trust Apple with my CC info more than almost any website I'd be shopping on. Also, any CC transactions that aren't authorized are required to be refunded by law. So zero risk to you for storing your CC on your phone (other than the hassle of replacement cards) and Apple Pay is very convenient for lots of things. Made it all the way to checkout at the store the other day (I walked up like half a mile to get there, too), and had forgot my wallet. Luckily they take Apple Pay so I didn' t have to waste a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Restaurant websites are some of the worst websites around next to car dealership sites, and restaurant owners are just famously dumb around tech/customer service, etc. every owner I’ve ever met talks about food costs, labor, and margins 10x what they talk about what experience they are giving their customers.
    experience seems like something customers talk about but generally aren’t willing to pay for

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    A restaurant here (Crosscut Pizza in Ned for anyone in these parts) has hand-held devices the servers carry to input your order. And when it comes time to pay, it's easy peasy to each pay your own shit, they just tag what you ordered and you give them your card and boom! Slightly different than what you describe, more Old Goat friendly since no QR or phone app/input required. Just an old fashioned credit card.

I wish more places would invest in that type of point of sale system.
    The cost of the devices isn't trivial, especially if you're trying to put one in each server's hand, plus it requires a reliable network to run on. It's not rocket surgery but it can be tough to get all the details right in a smaller town where your usual IT consultant is the assistant manager's boyfriend's uncle who writes websites and installs routers on the side.

I'm a computer nerd, and while I love restaurants that have their menu online with seamless takeout ordering, if I'm sitting down, I want to look at a piece of paper and ask a human if things are gluten free or not (and judge how much I trust the answer based on delivery).

I'll still tip 20% on takeout, though, because a lot of times that ends up going to someone who gets to spend their shift working a counter, answering the phone, seating people, etc, and not getting anywhere near the level of tips the servers are. That person will appreciate an extra $5 or $10 more than most.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    The cost of the devices isn't trivial, especially if you're trying to put one in each server's hand, plus it requires a reliable network to run on. It's not rocket surgery but it can be tough to get all the details right in a smaller town where your usual IT consultant is the assistant manager's boyfriend's uncle who writes websites and installs routers on the side.

I'm a computer nerd, and while I love restaurants that have their menu online with seamless takeout ordering, if I'm sitting down, I want to look at a piece of paper and ask a human if things are gluten free or not (and judge how much I trust the answer based on delivery).
    I am sure they're not cheap. And I agree, I want a paper menu and want to talk to a human, I'm the one that started the rant. But the handheld devices to take orders and handle paying are smooth AF. I am sure it isn't cheap to put one in each server's hands, and I am sure IT support is not insignificant. And of course quality of food and ambiance and beers on tap or whatever trumps smooth ordering/paying. But the fact that I actually appreciate the experience enough to even mention it here means it makes money for them. And it surely reduces server/kitchen fuckups because they enter it in front of you and repeat your order to you, and that's what gets sent to the kitchen. I have no doubt that it saves/makes them money in ways that are hard to quantify.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    If we are moving to a model where I don’t get a menu, don’t get to ask questions and have to input my own order and CC info at the end that’s totally fine, but I think that needs to be the end of tipping for restaurants that move to that model. Just pay a wage and let’s be done with it.
    Mr. Pink agrees……

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    In New Zealand one went up to the front to settle the bill on the way out, even in fancy places. But they don’t (usually) tip there.

TWIS (the woman I’m seeing) always, always has to ask about the ingredients and makes substitutions for her order. That a) wouldn’t work in the order by scanning, and b) is kind of annoying, probably more so for the server.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

I'll still tip 20% on takeout, though, because a lot of times that ends up going to someone who gets to spend their shift working a counter, answering the phone, seating people, etc, and not getting anywhere near the level of tips the servers are. That person will appreciate an extra $5 or $10 more than most.

If you're tipping electronically you have no way of knowing if the servers or staff are getting any of it. It's not exactly uncommon for owners or management to pocket it.

The one place that I have experience with this also taxed the tips.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    If you're tipping electronically you have no way of knowing if the servers or staff are getting any of it. It's not exactly uncommon for owners or management to pocket it.
    Perhaps not uncommon, but in many (most?) states, very definitely not legal. In some--such as Montana--even the normal practice of servers tipping out other staff (bartenders who mix their drinks, kitchen staff, etc) a small percentage of their own tips cannot be mandatory, as by law the tips belong to the server.

The place I worked adjusted their policy to deal with the legal issue to be "we acknowledge that participating in a tip-sharing program is voluntary; you may out if you so choose, and we will post the names of those who do in the kitchen." If you want to be an ass about it, you may, but we'll let the kitchen crew know.

The fake politesse of trash companies like Amazon. Fuckers, you knew it wouldn’t arrive, you don’t give a fuck, and you don’t want to say that. Eat shit fuckers

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    experience seems like something customers talk about but generally aren’t willing to pay for
    Yeah, in a way, but it doesn’t have to be fancy. It can just be good service, decent food and a fun vibe.

Leaky alkaline batteries. Seriously. WTF is going on with battery manufacturers these days?! I've had SO many Kirkland Sig (rebranded Duracells), actual Duracells, Energizers, and AMZ Basics (I think rebranded Fujitsu) ones leak. All of which used to be pretty good. Reason I'm particularly ticked right now is they blew up in my multimeter I've had for ages and really liked, and now the units completely fried. I even took it apart to clean it all up, and yup. It's shot. Thanks, Costco. Ironically, the only ones I HAVEN'T ever had leak are those cheap Rayovacs (but those don't seem to last long), and Sony batteries which aren't the cheapest but haven't blown up on me either. I think I'm gonna buy Sonys from here on out.

You guys been having battery drama too lately?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Leaky alkaline batteries. Seriously. WTF is going on with battery manufacturers these days?! I've had SO many Kirkland Sig (rebranded Duracells), actual Duracells, Energizers, and AMZ Basics (I think rebranded Fujitsu) ones leak. All of which used to be pretty good. Reason I'm particularly ticked right now is they blew up in my multimeter I've had for ages and really liked, and now the units completely fried. I even took it apart to clean it all up, and yup. It's shot. Thanks, Costco. Ironically, the only ones I HAVEN'T ever had leak are those cheap Rayovacs (but those don't seem to last long), and Sony batteries which aren't the cheapest but haven't blown up on me either. I think I'm gonna buy Sonys from here on out.

You guys been having battery drama too lately?
    Not sure about lately but definitely over the years. I should probably go check some of my less frequently used electronics. Unfortunately some things should have the batteries removed when not in use which is a pita, considering my multimeter has a screw securing the battery door. I had a pair of Smith Turbo Fan goggles get ruined this way. And I made it worse trying to clean the battery compartment so I didn't try to get them warrantied. I used them without the fan as they were still nice goggles. Then I left my helmet and goggles in the Jay Peak cafeteria and somebody scored the whole package out of lost and found. Which was annoying. We also lost a DVD remote in the last year to this issue. It seems to happen on our less frequently used items.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Not sure about lately but definitely over the years. I should probably go check some of my less frequently used electronics. Unfortunately some things should have the batteries removed when not in use which is a pita, considering my multimeter has a screw securing the battery door.
    EXACTLY. Really annoying for stuff with a stupid screw for the battery compartments. Maybe I need to pony up for some high quality lithiums for my next multimeter. Still annoyed I even HAVE to buy another, because it perfectly fine until this happened. They don't make my model any longer. Any suggestions? Lol.

Don't pee on the batteries; duh.

This has been mentioned before. Some people just seem to cause batteries to leak. I'm not one of them, can count the number of leaking batteries on one hand that has leprosy. Not even batteries left in beacons for 2+ years. Stupid lucky, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I have almost exclusively switched to eneloop rechargeables and don’t seem to have this problem.
    Enerloops are good for sure. I've never had any of them leak either. HOWEVER, the downside to them is every time I've used them in low-use devices, they're dead when I need them. So have to pop them on the charger for hours. That's the whole reason behind good old fashioned alkalines. They tend to do the best with long term storage I think. Except when they blow up in your stuff. I'd say its due to high temps, high humidity, and being stored in the device, but I've had them leak in the packaging too so that's no guarantee either. I think manufacturing's gone downhill is all.

I've posted about leaking batteries in this thread a few times. Kirkland ones have been the worst. Never buying those again. A few issues with Energizer but not as frequent.

Ironically the only batteries I've never had an issue with are the cheapies that come with remote controls and other devices.

Lithium batteries might be the way to go for devices that only see sporadic use. They last a long time and don't fade, and shouldn't leak. More expensive, but you aren't saving $$$ by spending less on batteries that end up ruining the device they are in.

Are you talking about lithium rechargeable or lithium single use? Is the latter a thing?