Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Season Projects - Tinkering & Overhauling

Whatcha got brewing?

Currently building up a new wheelset. DH fork might need more love than I can give it. Just spent $200 bones replacing suspension linkage bearings on a 4 year old bike. Finally cut the black sleeve off our CCDBCoil shocks and they're FINALLY quiet!!! After they refused to acknowledge it's an issue and insisted the shocks will self destruct without the protective sleeve. Mrs Jm2e's trail bike needs a new drivetrain and not in love with Eagle enough to make the decision easy.
    It's definitely feeling like an expensive, labor intensive sport. Worth every penny though.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Taking the GX eagle stuff off of the new Yeti, putting what fits onto the fat bike.
    Replacing the GX on the Yeti with xo1, then selling off the new 10 speed stuff off of the fat bike.
    And building up some light bicycle rims with DT 240's, and replacing the 120 Fox 34 air shaft with a 130.
    Should keep me busy for a bit.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Trying to decide if I take a replacement frame or go Chinese-carbon Trying to decide if I go 26 and roll with what I had, or go 29 and start from scratch.

I've got a dozen bikes and no projects. Life is good. Stock bikes from Spot are so good that I rarely need to upgrade anything. Got some parts lately but will use as spares for racing enduro. Just finished a vintage mountain bike restoration that was pretty easy. Considering finding another but prices are too high now and no market for flipping unless super rare.

It would be fun to build a paint booth and spray a few of the steel bikes I have.

Dropping Vorsprung Luftkappe air pistons into my Yari fork....

https://vorsprungsuspension.com/prod...hox-pike-lyrik
    sproing!

Strip down, clean, rebuild my trail bike - really going to try and squeeze a fourth (and final) season out of it without dumping more $ into it. (Anyone want a beat but functional large Hightower frame next year?)

New 35 mm bar/stem combo for my hardtail and fix sagging KS dropper.

Attempt to drop weight off my heavy ass fat bike by attempting to make it tubeless using non-tubeless wheels and non-tubeless tires. Maybe add a dropper post to it.

Clear coat my DIY painted gravel bike, replace the tires.

Trying to decide how to breathe new life into an OG 2013 Bronson. Maybe a new fork. Maybe a 1deg headset. Maybe a new shock, thinking CC IL Coil.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Dropping Vorsprung Luftkappe air pistons into my Yari fork....

https://vorsprungsuspension.com/prod...hox-pike-lyrik
    I'm tempted to put one of those in the wife's Pike RC along with a full V-Spec tune, but she probably wouldn't even notice.

Let's say you're still rolling on a 2011 Reign, which has had the frame, fork, shock and wheels all replaced in the last year and is generally still kicking ass. New bike is 2-3 years off. What would you do to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Let's say you're still rolling on a 2011 Reign, which has had the frame, fork, shock and wheels all replaced in the last year and is generally still kicking ass. New bike is 2-3 years off. What would you do to it?
    If you haven't converted it to 1X yet, that's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Whatcha got brewing?
    Setting up the jig for a new lugged road frame. It'll be frame #4 this year

Breakdown/clean/regrease of my '17 Troy to hopefully get rid of a few minor creaks that are starting to develop.

Got a new chain as well for next season to install when it's back together.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you haven't converted it to 1X yet, that's what I'd do.
    Oops, yeah, forgot to mention that. Haven't run a FD for years. Got a AB oval NW, MX3 11-42, and RAD cage last year. Drivetrain is pretty set.

Oops, yeah, forgot to mention that. Haven't run a FD for years. Got a AB oval NW, MX3 11-42, and RAD cage last year. Drivetrain is pretty set.
    Then get new tires and grips then leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Same design? Gonna go thicker wall than .035 for the new ST? Or sleeve it?

New design.

That poor frame got fucked on it's first ride. I had tacked my rocker mount to the seat tube and never dropped proper welds on it. First ride I blew them off and the seatstay cross brace put a good sized dent in the seat tube. Hindsight I should have put a gusset in after I damaged the seat tube, but I didn't. I went back and brazed it on proper. The ST was a 0.035 straight gauge that had a special bend in it. It was plenty strong, but not once dented.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BljbePtB...ken-by=earle.b

This frame is a new design. The suspension rocker is a pull link, kinda like the old GT RTS back in the day. Some more complexity in the front triangle of this one.

Ha ha. You aren't the first guy to test ride a frame with a tack braze on a critical joint. Doh!

No doubt.

I think I was struggling with heat control on the thick to thin joint and decided to just tack and move on to come back and do it later out of the jig. Just never went back. I was working in this frame early mornings, getting up 4:30am and building till the family got up at 7am. Likely a couple coffee deprived moments in working on it. I had actually designed it's replacement before it broke. Something about the aesthetic bikes with the shock stuff down in on top of the bb I've always liked.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Then get new tires and grips then leave it alone.
    No geo tweaks via angleset/offset shock hardware/etc.? Custom suspension tuning?

You'll never notice the geo changes. It is all in your head. Are you really heavy or really tiny? Extremely fast and loose? If no to all leave your suspension alone.

New bearings in my linkages and maybe rebuilding my pike or more realistically
    shipping it off.

No such thing as offseason in NorCal. That being said, I'd love for it to rain one of these weekends so I have an excuse to bleed my brakes. And then I can go do some trail work. No point in digging if the corners you dig just blow away as dust. One of my buddies and I have a laundry list that's probably a good few months worth of digging, and that's just fixing existing trails that were either ruined by the parks service or neglect.

No geo tweaks via angleset/offset shock hardware/etc.? Custom suspension tuning?
    If you're keeping it for 2-3 years and think you would appreciate a slacker headangle + ever so slightly steeper seat tube angle, then yes.. get a Works angleset for it. 1 degree is going to be a somewhat subtle change.. 1.5 or 2 degrees you will notice.

Custom suspension tuning would not be a terrible idea when the time comes for a service.. what do you have on there for fork and shock?

Having owned and just replaced the same bike as you I wouldn't bother with any of this stuff. New tires, new grips, maybe replace all the linkage bearings if you haven't done that recently.