Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Just that alone. Out doing stuff, not paying close attention to your phone's charge... oops, no car either.
    I was waiting to get picked up at the SJC airport the year that Tesla started producing their own cars, not the Lotus knockoffs (like 6-7 years ago). I see a late 20s tech-bro stop, get out and greet his boomer parents who had just arrived from who knows where. He starts loading their baggage into the trunk and his mom gets in and shuts the door. He and his dad finish loading the car and shut the trunk... but their is a problem... the Tesla locked itself and the only way to unlock it is from the Tech-bro's phone... which is in the car... with his boomer mom. So, hilarity ensued for the next 5-10 minutes while tech-bro tried to walk his boomer mom through the process of unlocking his phone, navigating to the Tesla app, and unlocking the car, all while becoming more and more animated and frustrated at her technological ineptitude. It was pretty good entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Fucking Bluetooth.
    Bad Bluetooth usage follows me from phone to phone, it’s a feature of my data backup or something like that.

Fucking Bluetooth

Picking up a phone call in the office as my headphones try to synch with multiple desktops before locking on to my phone

I finally went and made the other devices “forget” my headphones, but it still takes 3x longer than necessary to be able to be hands free at my own desk.

Yeah, the whole "plug and play" revolution is great until it doesn't work. Remember the good old days when you had to make sure you had the right COM port selected, etc.? Okay, it wasn't so great, but at least there was some troubleshooting you could do when something didn't work.

I had a wired USB headset I had been using at home last year that was working great until one day all of a sudden it didn't show up as an audio selection in Webex anymore. Nothing I tried would make them show up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    I think its great for people who need it, but not everyone does.

I dont really want to pay for a breathalyzer in my vehicle or have to pay to repair it if it breaks or be stranded somewhere when it malfunctions.

I hardly ever drink and i have never had a dui. I would lose my job if I got one, so I never drink and drive.

Why should I have to have a breathalyzer in my car?
    Like Ron White states, " I can drive drunk, I just can't get pulled over".
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    If it were free and built in as standard equipment.. why not? Could save a lot of lives, not to mention saving families from breaking up due to arrests, jail time, etc. 0
    The difficulty is the devices are notoriously shitty in the reliability sphere.

I have a family member who had a court mandated one. The device was awful. He had to have it "serviced" almost every month, which basically involved the install provider just throwing another shitty (& never new) device in the vehicle and rolling their eyes at the explanation of how it failed. [I got to watch it fail so I know it wasn't just an unrepentant alcoholic fucking with the system.]

I've also seen reporting about how reliant the court system is on these devices despite the known failures and inconsistencies. And the poor assholes who get saddled with them have to fight with them, the installers & the court system, but it's still better than being without a car.

So, uh, no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    The difficulty is the devices are notoriously shitty in the reliability sphere.

I have a family member who had a court mandated one. The device was awful. He had to have it "serviced" almost every month, which basically involved the install provider just throwing another shitty (& never new) device in the vehicle and rolling their eyes at the explanation of how it failed. [I got to watch it fail so I know it wasn't just an unrepentant alcoholic fucking with the system.]

I've also seen reporting about how reliant the court system is on these devices despite the known failures and inconsistencies. And the poor assholes who get saddled with them have to fight with them, the installers & the court system, but it's still better than being without a car.

So, uh, no thanks!
    i think that’s more related to the court system not particularly giving a fuck about quality, than anything inherent to the device - the drunkometer came about in 1938, this is not cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    Would suck if someone spills alcohol on the designated driver.
    I'd expect it to be more savvy than that. The version I was familiar with required a steady stream of strong air that was then tested for BAC. Can be set to shut down at .01% or something higher. I'd imagine something that works like a biometric key.. i.e. your finger unlocking your phone. Ankle monitors can detect alcohol content in your sweat and alert your PO. Something like a palm print to start your car assuming no alcohol is detected in your pores might be how they'd do that.. similar to the ankle monitor technology. I'd think setting it so only sloppy drunk and not borderline drunk shuts it down seems reasonable. Maybe make it like passenger air bats, that can be disabled temporality. I know it defeats the purpose but overcomes the "but what about xyz objections". DWI with it disabled should be a felony though..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It would be no different than the nag screen that beeps when your seat belt isn't buckled.. They're also working on ones that set your alarm off if you leave your kid locked in your car.. Hell, it might even use the GPS and wifi to call the cops on you too. That way if you're stranded, help is on the way LOL!

FWIW, I found a way around it about 25 years ago. Only did it once though, not drunk, morning after breath device set at .02 IIRC.. . A bicycle pump and a rubber glove fooled it.. Nice steady and strong blow with fresh clean non alcohol air. Don't try this at home kids..
    If you can figure out to make that work you're probably safe to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you can figure out to make that work you're probably safe to drive.
    Oh it absolutely worked. Does require some skill and dexterity to produce the proper flow of air to the mouth piece though..

Knew a guy who was a valet at a club. One time he was on a rant about all the idiots who just used the valet so their car would be started for them..

Not sure if posted already but stupid fucking iPhone facial recognition to unlock.

Bring back the home button with finger print !!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Works fine for me, but ........MASKS!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Just set your face setting with a mask on. Works on my S10+. I have the fingerprint too, but an unfortunately placed micro crack on the screen that effects nothing else has made my fingerprinting unusable.

Think I may have posted about that in the Shit that Annoys you thread..

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Yea, that was kinda what I meant but forgot to add.

Mostly annoying when shopping and trying to access my list.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yea, that was kinda what I meant but forgot to add.

Mostly annoying when shopping and trying to access my list.

I thought they set it up so you could add a version with mask on??

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I thought they set it up so you could add a version with mask on??
    Mine doesn’t have it. Just tried.

It told me I have a face obstruction.

Mine doesn’t have it. Just tried.

It told me I have a face obstruction.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/31/iphon...-id-with-mask/

Ah. I see it’s a bit of a hack to do.

Why they hell can’t they just allow a mask photo as your secondary photo?

You’d think the eyes and brow should be enough.

Colored contacts?

Yeah, then all the bank robbers can access your phone and pretend they're you on FB.

What's the title of this thread again?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8910AD4B-5422-49E7-8E90-F4949CCBAB35.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	520.0 KB 
ID:	388415

I have a hard time figuring out how this is convenient for anyone. My three year old is the only one short enough to hit the buttons correctly. Fucking touch screens.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    If it were free and built in as standard equipment.. why not? Could save a lot of lives, not to mention saving families from breaking up due to arrests, jail time, etc. 0
    Fun story, we were camping on the Colorado at the end of Indian Creek in high school, just killing thirty racks for a few days. Time to drive home, only one of us is sober enough to start my buddies' interlock on his jeep. So we go trucking out, and an hour later it beeps for him to blow again. By this time, no one is sober enough to blow, so the jeep shuts down and the alarm starts going off. Just blaring the horn endlessly in the middle of fucking nowhere. We just said fuck it and stayed another night.

So after a couple of years of no travel, fly to a ski vacation & get a rental car. One of those civilized countries where rental cars have snow tires in winter (except that one time Hertz screwed up on a trip to CH). Below freezing temps and fog / humidity with some black ice noticed earlier while walking.

Get on the hiway, getting used to the car quickly, but notice a weird twitch from the front wheels occasionally. Similar to that very brief loss of steering traction on patchy black ice. Slow down a bit more but it still happens occasionally. Weird AF. 4 lane divided hiway, so cars pass me no problem, but at that point I want to use the next exit to confirm visually these are winter tires.

They are. While the car is idling I look over the information-packed digital display. One icon kinda looks like a Lane Assist driving ‘aid’. Some more hunting and I find a button that removes the icon, but only if you depress it for a few seconds.

Sure enough, that fucking piece of shit driver aid was the culprit. I guess the occasional slush pile on road and lane boundary was confusing it at times into trying to re center the car? Who knows.

Of course, it defaults to On when I restart the car but at least the car drives like a champ now on the snow and ice rather than being a weird jerky unsettling piece of crap.

I don't even know why electric windows are switched through the ignition- inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    I don't even know why electric windows are switched through the ignition- inconvenient.
    So you don't accidentally run down the battery as easily?