Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Serially, this: https://www.yahoo.com/news/skiing-pa...120046041.html

But, I will tell you that it is much worse and much more crowded here in the Wasatch.

Might be a good year to stay at Hunter
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I don't hate you, I have empathy for your situation. This sucks for all of us. The divisiveness that is created by assuming that anyone that doesn't agree with your actions hates you is one of the biggest problems society is facing and, to me, is a giant fucking cop out. Explain why you think it is OK to go on vacation. Include who your gaggle includes, how you are getting there, where you are staying, where you are eating...you know...this shit that effects the longevity and severity of the pandemic.

Are you the Roll Gybe from back in the day that used to post around here?
    I am. Yes back from powmag days.

That meme was meant to break things up a little bit. It's just a Star Wars line, not actually me caring about posters on a forum hating me!

123456789Name:  tsZ6xti.jpeg
Views: 1120
Size:  21.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

Might be a good year to stay at Hunter
    Taking my boy to Hunter tomorrow for his birthday. First time skiing outside CT this season.

Spent more time @ Utah resorts than many, and not going back for a while. Glad I got to enjoy BobMCs hospitality ( among others) right before this whole shit storm blew in.

Bob seems like a nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Stay home and make plans for amazing trip next winter.
    This is basically what me and the missus were planning. Stack that cheddar by forgoing our honeymoon and all ski related trips this fall/winter/spring and then blow all that money next year on some cat days, and trips to areas we've never been (mostly non-front range CO). But then i knocked her up, and we are now stacking that cheddar for another reason with no plans to travel for a while haha.

But really, there is no reason to travel for skiing this year. The resorts are fucking packed everywhere so its not like you are missing out on covid empty resorts. And also, UT is having a shit snow year. My in laws live in PC and i havent thought about visiting a single time this year (and they are actually chill and rip for older folks). Its a single year where you need to chill locally. Go balls to the wall next year. IMO this speaks to a larger problem in our society where no one can handle delayed gratification anymore... like a bunch of toddlers.

Glad I could speak for society!
    I'm honored.

Hey you asked how to "navigate". Seems like most of the responses are "don't". But hey, if you "have to". Drive with your family only, get a condo, go to the grocery once. Cook or get take out. Play board games and drink beer in the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by RollGybe View Post
    Bob seems like a nice guy
    One of the best

Hey you asked how to "navigate". Seems like most of the responses are "don't". But hey, if you "have to". Drive with your family only, get a condo, go to the grocery once. Cook or get take out. Play board games and drink beer in the evenings.
    most of the responses seem to say "fucking" a lot, I do notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    One of the best
    +100

the dude is fucking great

just because he told you the fucking truth about tourism during a plague year doesn't make him a dick.

also if you have a problem with the word fucking maybe this isn't the fucking place for you. maybe utah isn't the place either.

If you do this, is it really any worse than Woodsy going from CT to Huntah? Or does COVID care about distance traveled outside the bubble? Probably lots of front rangers and east coasters that are driving into different counties to ski, but I'm not sure they are gathering the ire seen here.

If I drive 23 hours and then only backcountry ski, is that better or worse than driving from SLC to the Bird and standing in a tram line full of partial mask wearers?

I'm still on the cautious and careful side of this whole thing and trying to minimize my impact, but just trying to feel out what the lines are for people.

My line is that anyone who gets on a plane to take a ski vacation is a part of the problem.

If you must travel for work or family I understand. If it is just cause you are "Over this shit". Not much sympathy,
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I suppose that would depend on whether covid were spreading in the tramline at Snowbird, which was thematically part of my original question -perhaps lost in the overall tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My line is that anyone who gets on a plane to take a ski vacation is a part of the problem.

If you must travel for work or family I understand. If it is just cause you are "Over this shit". Not much sympathy,
    As Foggy said though, what if he drives? Still bad?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm still on the cautious and careful side of this whole thing and trying to minimize my impact, but just trying to feel out what the lines are for people.
    It doesn't read like you are though.

ZZZ, it is a continuum of behavior. There is no line other than the ones that we all make for ourselves to justify our actions. It's like the George Carlin driving joke. Everyone else is either unnecessarily conservative or a mouth breather responsible for the pandemic.

Ya'll probably think I'm on the conservative side. I work either outside, or with on one. I've slept outside of either my own bed or the back of my truck exactly once in the last year. I haven't seen my mid 70s parents or inlaws in about 18 month. I haven't been inside a bar or restaurant or anywhere besides a grocery store in 11 months. I don't go inside my friends houses. Is that extreme...I don't know. But I do know that I but recreations travel via airplane with a gaggle pretty far down my list of priorities for our society.

But hey, you do you. It's America, FY!

As Foggy said though, what if he drives? Still bad?
    I was asked about "My Line". I replied.

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I suppose that would depend on whether covid were spreading in the tramline at Snowbird, which was thematically part of my original question -perhaps lost in the overall tenor.
    It is spreading everywhere people are inside...period. It is a highly contagious respiratory virus. Where you want to draw the line is up to you but as long as people keep worrying about personal health instead of public health (i.e. "getting it" vs. "spreading it"), it's gonna be that same old same old. It's decision making for the greater good, not what we are "comfortable with".

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    It doesn't read like you are though.
    I didn't say anything about my behavior. Like Foggy, I haven't slept outside my bed since this started, haven't been in a bar or restaurant, and haven't visited any friends homes. Also haven't visited parents in over a year. If I get groceries inside instead of curbside, I wear a mask, correctly I might add.

I also haven't stood in crowded ski lines at all and it's not in my plans. I realize no one is living in a bubble.

And while we are playing defense...I'm pretty sure the OP is a vetted human friends with Cletus, Cornholio and others from back in the day. The low post count ain't what you think it is.

It is spreading everywhere people are inside...period. It is a highly contagious respiratory virus. Where you want to draw the line is up to you but as long as people keep worrying about personal health instead of public health (i.e. "getting it" vs. "spreading it"), it's gonna be that same old same old. It's decision making for the greater good, not what we are "comfortable with".
    Is there a source that is less anecdotal with respect to the ski areas?

I didn't say anything about my behavior. Like Foggy, I haven't slept outside my bed since this started, haven't been in a bar or restaurant, and haven't visited any friends homes. Also haven't visited parents in over a year. If I get groceries inside instead of curbside, I wear a mask, correctly I might add.

I also haven't stood in crowded ski lines at all and it's not in my plans. I realize no one is living in a bubble.
    I quoted the wrong person. It was meant for the OP. Sorry.

Is there a source that is less anecdotal with respect to the ski areas?
    You teleporting your gaggle to a social distance lift line? I'm sure you can scrape the internet for a source of whatever self serving actions you want to take. The CDPHE has said that the act of skiing and lift riding is not a meaningful mechanism of transmission. I believe the Snowbird Tram is 25 people for 10 minutes. Call Fauci and ask him....or just load the gaggle on plane and have at it...the choice is yours. Just own it!

Yes, the choice is mine and with that goes ownership.

Do you have a phone number for Fauci? I didn't find anything on Linkedin.