Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solitude

I guess I just don't understand. For $1000 I can get 21 days locally at DV, Alta/Snowbird & Solitude with no blackout days. At some point doesn't Alterra have to make DV & Solitude unlimited to actually compete with Epic?

SFB, never get tired of looking at your photos, keeps me happy as we suffer heat and humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I guess I just don't understand. For $1000 I can get 21 days locally at DV, Alta/Snowbird & Solitude with no blackout days. At some point doesn't Alterra have to make DV & Solitude unlimited to actually compete with Epic?

SFB, never get tired of looking at your photos, keeps me happy as we suffer heat and humidity.
    I suspect that they will make Solitude unlimited but not DV. Though who knows what they are thinking long-term?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alta and Snowbird drop out of Ikon in 2019 if Solitude goes unlimited on the Ikon pass. As it stands now, the Ikon pass isn’t a huge competitor for season pass sales, but that changes if Solitude is unlimited. $1,400 for LCC pass or $1,000 for Soli and 7 alta/bird and DV days would probably sway me back to BCC.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    its okay the bunners ,jerries, and blue square ikons dont fantasy gnar hike
    to the
    Tell that to the jerrie that fell off the bootpack last year @ the first cable(its under dude with green hats right arm in 1st photo) right in front of my good buddy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180422_123624200_HDR.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	239552
    If you look close enough you can see what he fell over in this photo

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    It's good for Utah skiers for sure. Unlimited Solitude + 7 days at Alta/Bird.

For an average SLC skier, this makes sense.

The big thing that comes in to play now for SLC people --- what does your group of friends decide to do????

That's what it's all about in the Front Range - which pass does your friend buy? Now it looks like SLC peeps need to look at that too (maybe not as much though). I'm sure all of the UofU people are either straight-up LCC or Park City, but for the older crew, maybe it does come in to play what the family friends buy and what you buy.

Def some options now for you Wasatch people.

PS - If Ikon Pass can get Snowbasin in there somehow, either 7-days or better yet, an acquisition from Alterra of both Sun Valley/Snowbasin, then Ikon Pass will OWN Utah.
    Maybe maybe not.

New owners old owners good owners bad owners epic ikon, none of that changes the terrain and the terrain at soli is just meh.

we'll keep our bird passes and I'm 99% sure everyone we ski with will too.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Yeah, I know I'm a broken record, but One Wasatch just got one step closer to happening. We used to have 7 separate central Wasatch ski areas on 7 season passes, now it's being whittled down to the same seven on three passes. Oh yeah!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Maybe maybe not.

New owners old owners good owners bad owners epic ikon, none of that changes the terrain and the terrain at soli is just meh.

only peeps i know who thinks the fantasy shots are meh
    cant gets up
    to git down with it
    but i can see how terminal intermediates being able to access the whole mountain will keep 99% of ya in birds bounds
    nttiatwwi
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Maybe maybe not.

Good. Tell every one you know.

Maybe maybe not.

Soli is sofaking meh. The lifts make no sense, the goods are odd and the odds arent good. I cant believe anyone ever skis there. And the locals are assholes. SFB snakes my freshies every fucking time. Whadda asshole. Even his spancer snaked my freshies. Fantasy ridge booter? Only if you are suicidal. And dont get me started about B Righton. Nothing but stoned knuckledraggers sideslipping everything. You think soli is meh, the terrain at btown will put you to sleep.

Anyone with a half gram of radness in them drives past the little big canyon straight to the big little canyon.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Bro, there’s no tram at Soli.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Tell that to the jerrie that fell off the bootpack last year @ the first cable(its under dude with green hats right arm in 1st photo) right in front of my good buddy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180422_123624200_HDR.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	239552
    If you look close enough you can see what he fell over in this photo
    A buddy of mine lost his footing on that hike in March of last season (16-17). Fell from where you're describing, I'd bet it's the same. Not so sure I'd call him a Jerry, just shit happened at a bad time. We're all one step away from Jerry I suppose, :shrug:.

I've been up Fantasy, I'm not ashamed to admit once was enough for me.
    Last edited by BobMc; 06-21-2018 at 09:30 PM.

The point is that if you're a basic SLC skier, you're either EPIC Pass for Park City, or you can now be IKON Pass for Solitude unlimited, 7 (or 5) days Alta/Bird and 7 (or 5) days at Deer Valley.

Remember that the average season pass holder doesn't ski any more than 20 days a year.

Maybe maybe not.

Phew! Good to hear.

Just bought passes at Solitude for the fam tonight. Needed those DV bike tix for this summer....and to ski something different for a year, maybe two.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    A buddy of mine lost his footing on that hike in March of last season (16-17). Fell from where you're describing, I'd bet it's the same. Not so sure I'd call him a Jerry, just shit happened at a bad time. We're all one step away from Jerry I suppose, :shrug:.

I've been up Fantasy, I'm not ashamed to admit once was enough for me.
    Happened within the last two weeks of our recently concluded season. My bro said the dude came up all nonchalant- no pack. Next thing he knew, dude was throwin skis and poles aside and--- gone. Sounded kinda like he was being a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Yeah, I know I'm a broken record, but One Wasatch just got one step closer to happening. We used to have 7 separate central Wasatch ski areas on 7 season passes, now it's being whittled down to the same seven on three passes. Oh yeah!
    One Wasatch with five five resorts maybe but not seven. I would be shocked if Vail let their skiers take a lift to another resort. The Mtn business plan is based to a great extent on getting skiers on site where they spend money on rentals, lessons, trinkets and over priced meals. If PCMR does not participate is there a route for lifts to get from DV to Solitude? Also I wonder with Soli and DV together does Brighton really want to be the conduit for Alterra to be more successful.

Jesus!!!
    Butthurt much?
    Fantasies?
    I was doing fantasies before all that electronic bull shit when soli lefties were still punching the green pass.
    did fantasies before I ever owned a pack that you could strap your skis to. I carried my skis and poles and held on to that fucking rope.
    Been there done that and that's about all soli has going for it. Rest is meh.

Be right on? Laughin! Deer valley thinks that Brighton's flat.

Taco, don't need to tell all my friends, we all get free soli passes. They know what it's like.

Soli is a lot like the greens, it's a cool river and all until you float another river, any other diversed river.

If I toured which I don't than soli and Brighton would be a good choice.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

If I toured, which I don't....

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

If I toured which I don't than soli and Brighton would be a good choice.
    Not sure I'd be minimizing this aspect, as bc touring can definitely be a factor in whether or not to purchase a pass.

I get that you aren't a fan, but backcountry access can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    after watching Norseman take a conga line of ecrc and various other mis-fit kooks up a narrow billy goat trail, first thing in the morning at 18BBI@bridger, this will be a good option.
    Hey, it was second thing in the morning.

Only one guy got peeled off firmly, iirc.

Tourguiding in LeisureLand isn't my thing. Schmooze cruise can be fun in little doses, but it's gotta be balanced by tough-to-reach turns.

Hoping to catch the party at Soli this coming spring.

Carry on.

Theturdcutter--somehow you misinterpret everybody thinking you're full of shit with butthurt. And if you'll notice, I said "tell every one you know". I made no mention of friends or lack there of. 'Friends' in your case is wayyyyy to small an audience. I just don't think you're quite the skier you think you are yo

Oh snap.

Touring is a huge factor in season pass purchases imo. It makes a ski area SO much bigger than their stats. That's the case here, if it weren't for the touring this place wouldn't be much to be honest. spending a day touring when you have a season pass is cool but if you had to pay full price for a day ticket at the window you'd be bumming to ride the chair once and then climb all day for two or three good laps. That being said I like Solitude. There's plenty of fun stuff there but I'm not picky, I live in Arizona so I can't be.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

TGR tough guys are most likely not as good as they think they are.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Yeah, I know I'm a broken record, but One Wasatch just got one step closer to happening.
    weird thing is that Ski Utah has offered that pass for the past 20ish years..... and when Vail purchased PCMR/Canyons they removed themselves from that pass. I wouldn't expect Vail to play ball with that concept, it totally goes against their business model of offering a cheap season pass and then milking their skiers for every dime at every chance.

On the Solitude sidecountry debate, you all do realize you can easily access the solitude sidecountry more quickly just by hiking from hwy 210/LCC, right? you need to ride 2-3 lifts to hike a gate at solitude whereas its an easy 45 minute hike from Alta to Silver Fork.

Solitude is a great ski area with great terrain though. I always enjoy skiing there, but damn if solly skiers don't take more pride in their bootpacks than they do in the ski area's actual skiing terrain. oooohhhhh you have a steep bootpack with a cable around a rock......

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    TGR tough guys are most likely not as good as they think they are.
    Yep

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im good ill avoid the lcc traffic shit show
    take my free vert
    and ski an extra north facer
    cause even when the emmas and michigan city are good
    the extra north facers gonna ski better
    and im pretty sure you realize that
    but your rides in little
    and the north facing freshie fresh
    is in the big
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno