Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    tgapp I just wanted to say thank you for the amazeballs coffee back whenever that was. It helped when I was getting crushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    hell yeah!!

also the fact that jackattack discovered that the amprobe temperature reader has a built-in stand (something I never understood in all my years of owning that machine) speaks to not only his mechanical prowess but also his potential as a coffee roaster.

We've got quite a few of us roasting now that I know of - old goat on the stove, mattig on a Cormorant, neufox on a Bullet, and now jackattack on the quest.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    No Bullet yet, still plugging away on the Gene. jackattack shoot me a pm and i'll sell you some of that decaf.

Question for you decaf roasters: wondering about local decaf I bought (https://huckleberryroasters.com/coll...eton-key-decaf). This decaf seems to require a much coarser grind than most light/medium roasts to not just sludge up. e.g. 6-7 clicks more open on my Timemore C2. Since I brew decaf a few times a weak -- my pour-overs at such a difference are pretty inconsistent.

Is this big difference in coarseness (so as not to produce a ton of fines and clog up) typical of decaf because of their treatment? Or just potentially a my-bag issue?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Question for you decaf roasters: wondering about local decaf I bought (https://huckleberryroasters.com/coll...eton-key-decaf). This decaf seems to require a much coarser grind than most light/medium roasts to not just sludge up. e.g. 6-7 clicks more open on my Timemore C2. Since I brew decaf a few times a weak -- my pour-overs at such a difference are pretty inconsistent.

Is this big difference in coarseness (so as not to produce a ton of fines and clog up) typical of decaf because of their treatment? Or just potentially a my-bag issue?
    A little Google-fu indicates (and your experience reinforces) that the decaffination process changes the structure of the bean and decreases its density. So it's logical that you can achieve a similar level of extraction with a coarser grind keeping ratio and temperature constant. I assume you're also using more coffee by volume than you do for a normal recipe?

*Note that I haven't roasted any decaf, and I don't brew it often either. I did just order a 22lb box of green so I can follow up in a week or two after the first roasts and I get my brew process dialed in. Reading up on it has been a good distraction for a slow Tuesday. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    A little Google-fu indicates (and your experience reinforces) that the decaffination process changes the structure of the bean and decreases its density. So it's logical that you can achieve a similar level of extraction with a coarser grind keeping ratio and temperature constant. I assume you're also using more coffee by volume than you do for a normal recipe?

*Note that I haven't roasted any decaf, and I don't brew it often either. I did just order a 22lb box of green so I can follow up in a week or two after the first roasts and I get my brew process dialed in. Reading up on it has been a good distraction for a slow Tuesday. Thanks
    Yep this is right. Decaf = lower moisture content = less dense beans = way more fines = need to grind coarser to achieve the same level of fines so that you get the same drawdown time.

This isn't true for all decafs - roast level definitely influences this quite a bit - but it is generally true. This is why most high-end cafes will have a dedicated grinder and setting for decaf coffees (rather than single dosing in the same grinder)

It's kinda annoying but I do the same thing with my decaf - I just know that I need to open up the niche like another inch to get the right setting.

Dear TGapp and other wise cofffee-minded outdoorsfolk,

Please outline your preferred coffee prep method for a group of say 5 to 12 in a camp setting. I'm most comfy with a large French press but am interested in ideal brew technique incl. grind size, etc.

I'm also familiar with the ol river trip "coffee sock"... which can be great and is efficient, but can also suck. How to optimize this method?

Other methods to recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Dear TGapp and other wise cofffee-minded outdoorsfolk,

Please outline your preferred coffee prep method for a group of say 5 to 12 in a camp setting. I'm most comfy with a large French press but am interested in ideal brew technique incl. grind size, etc.

I'm also familiar with the ol river trip "coffee sock"... which can be great and is efficient, but can also suck. How to optimize this method?

Other methods to recommend?

Thanks
    i think the biggest thing to keep from having shitty camp coffee is consistent ratios. brew method is a secondary or a tertiary consideration, but with limited equipment and when brewing for a lot of people, immersion style brewing is always better (coffee sock or french press). pourover is just too easy to fuck up IMO.

to get a consistent ratio, aim for 1:16 or 1:15 coffee:water. you can do this volumetrically - figure out your ratios at home and then mark a measuring container to make sure you have the right amount of ground coffee.

Thanks tgapp / jack -- just need to improve my skills. May move towards more immerson type brew for decaf as i seem to fuckup the v60s more often than not.

Funny enough, tgapp and I and others are launching on a river trip in a few weeks. I expect big insulated french presses will be the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Funny enough, tgapp and I and others are launching on a river trip in a few weeks. I expect big insulated french presses will be the name of the game.
    I got beans for the trip all ready to go )

Gracias tgapp for the delicious African winey rich decaf.

Def ground a little courser for my non fancy pour over ( metal filter in the top of the yeti)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Gracias tgapp for the delicious African winey rich decaf.

Def ground a little courser for my non fancy pour over ( metal filter in the top of the yeti)
    Ha yep that's the decaf that like 3 other mags have bought at this point.

It's good! Works for me anyway. I drink it about every evening now.

Enjoy!

Thomas

Any tips on roasting that decaf? It seemed to not change color for a long time, then change to a funky color and end up pretty normal at the end. Will see how it tastes in a couple days.

The Mexico Bella from Royal took a long time to hit first crack. Then was quite muted in its cracking. Going to hit it with a higher charge next time..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6411.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	417528

I've not tried this as I don't generally use a french press day to day - but found it interesting

I’m a fan of Hoffmann’s method but you have to use high quality light-medium roasted coffee. It doesn’t work well with the standard American dark roast.

sfb has been hooking me up with sweet stickers lately, and since I haven't normally been a sticker person I decided I would put them all on my most favorite earthly possession, my roaster, in tribute to his stoke and generosity.

also captains coffee has a decent memorial day sale, I highly recommend their Rwanda Nyamasheke Kamina. It's really good, holy shit

Here are the codes for captains coffee:

MEMORIALDAY35 : Spend $35 or more to receive 10% off green coffee

MEMORIALDAY75 : Spend $75 or more to receive 12% off green coffee

MEMORIALDAY125 : Spend $125 or more to receive 15% off green coffee

Seriously that Nyamasheke Kamina is so tasty

sfb has been hooking me up with sweet stickers lately, and since I haven't normally been a sticker person I decided I would put them all on my most favorite earthly possession, my roaster, in tribute to his stoke and generosity.

also captains coffee has a decent memorial day sale, I highly recommend their Rwanda Nyamasheke Kamina. It's really good, holy shit

Text me your address. That roaster needs a sticker from my buddies sex cult.

Ahahaha I used up all the stickers you gave me, shit

Send more pls

Immersion research would be a good name for an ex mormon sex cult.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Jesus H. Christ. Now that’s a home roaster. Fully agree on the RNK. I really dig it. It’s light and soft but in a really round fulfilling way. I am horrible at explaining flavor but I know what I like. I am better at describing the experience than tasting notes. Thanks for sharing some with me.

You are doing great with your roasts, man. There has to be a market for this level of craft in SLC. You clearly dig it and are hella good at it. I love my local roaster but I am pulling greater pleasantries with what you sent me.
    Last edited by Doremite; 05-27-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Jesus H. Christ. Now that’s a home roaster. Fully agree on the RNK. I really dig it. It’s light and soft but in a really round fulfilling way. I am horrible at explaining flavor but I know what I like. I am better at describing the experience than tasting notes. Thanks for sharing some with me.

You are doing great with your roasts, man. There has to be a market for this level of craft in SLC. You clearly dig it and are hella good at it. I love my local roaster but I am pulling greater pleasantries with what you sent me.
    thanks dude, I still need to figure out a mag coffee subscription service. not sure if I want to ever do a real business but I'm pretty stoked on sharing good coffee with cool people

^^you do ; )

How have you been roasting this Decaf from Royal? It is a weird bean.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    ^^you do ; )

How have you been roasting this Decaf from Royal? It is a weird bean.

Roasted the Decaf today for the first time. I got a curve I was happy with on the third try.

The first 2 just weren’t getting the drop I was hoping for (above 200F) and racing through drying so I was pulling back on the heat too early and didn’t get the momentum I wanted to roll into 1c - what I got was barely audible and inconsistent color.

3rd try I heated the drum to 400f and turned off the heat. Charged at 380F and turned the heat back on. Hit the turn perfectly at 1min and about 160F and set up for a loud and satisfying 1c at about 8m.

I read that you can brew decaf with less rest than a normal roast so i might brew tomorrow night and see how it turned out.
    Last edited by jackattack; 05-29-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Dipping my toe into the roasting - just ordered the Behmor 2000, looking forward to trying to dial it in. Between this and the espresso thread - best reads out there. Got me dialed in with 18g beans with a 1.5 output of espresso. I was making too much espresso and going bitter. Now time to dial in the roasting game. I usually drink americanos - any recommendation for beans?