Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Pffft, every job comes with a shit sammich.
    I think the key is in finding something that you can actually do well, that holds a modicum of interest, with people you like and can get along with.
    Get back to work comrade...
    Last edited by ACH; 06-25-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Met a former computational biology professor at an ivy league school who ended up in the private dairy sector for insemination/genetics. Absurd amounts of money in that if you're smart enough.
    I once worked with a guy who's son was a film major in college. He did his final senior project as a documentary on hog breeding complete with a segment showing how they manually jack off the pigs to capture the sperm. Talk about something you can't unsee LOL! Not for all the tea in China!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Met a former computational biology professor at an ivy league school who ended up in the private dairy sector for insemination/genetics. Absurd amounts of money in that if you're smart enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I once worked with a guy who's son was a film major in college. He did his final senior project as a documentary on hog breeding complete with a segment showing how they manually jack off the pigs to capture the sperm. Talk about something you can't unsee LOL! Not for all the tea in China!
    wow, My Uncle Oswald in real life (sorta).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Very few people truly work their passion as a career in a way that is enjoyable and rewarding.

Many of us have had jobs that were passions, but they didn't last because almost always such a job either pays shit (everyone wants to do it), the job is only 10% passion and 90% BS, or our passion fades/changes.

Fading and changing passions are quite frightening for careers pursued as passions with high entry investments. Imagine becoming a doctor and a couple years in you are not loving it anymore. Even more frightening, what happens when the field changes in ways that kill your passion. Many docs feel that way about medicine. Ask a pro photographer what percentage of their job is the part they are passionate about? Because most of it is marketing and some post processing, not taking neato pics of cool places/things/events.

Our society has put WAY too much into telling people that they should pursue their passion as a career. That sets people up for disappointment.

I view it as winning if I kind of enjoy my jobs, perhaps make a positive impact in the community, and make a living while being afforded a lifestyle I like. I've got that. I enjoy my jobs enough that I work a bit too much.

There are always exceptions of people who find sufficient compensation doing something they are passionate about and the job is mostly passion and they don't burn out or get bored. This has much more to do with that individuals unique personality and desires lining up to afford them the satisfying win than them lucking out into a position. One couldn't jump into their shoes and be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I think the key is in finding something that you can actually do well, that holds a modicum of interest.
    Get back to work comrade...
    I'm sort of like the quote in the OP - sort of fell into a few different jobs. Interesting at times but definitely not my passion. When it comes down to it, most work is just...work. It is who you work with that can make or break a job for me. Work with good people you like, and any job becomes better. Working with enough shitty people can suck the life out of any job.
    Last edited by evdog; 06-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.

It ain't called "work" for nuthin'! The thing I don't understand is why so many people who clearly have enough money to retire still continue to work. I plan to be out as soon as I possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

I view it as winning if I kind of enjoy my jobs, perhaps make a positive impact in the community, and make a living while being afforded a lifestyle I like. I've got that. I enjoy my jobs enough that I work a bit too much.
    This is a lot less common than you may think. Decent paying jobs with lots of time to pursue other passions that are also enjoyable/give back are not the norm.

Ask yourself if you didn't get paid anything would you still do your job. I have no idea what results would be but I'd place a sizable wager most people are not mixing their true life passion with making a living.

My job is certainly not my passion but I enjoy parts of it... I enjoy my flexibility and autonomy most, the money second, and the people I work with third. The remainder is an arbitrary ratio I keep in the back of my head that consists of how much am I pissed off, what can I change, and what am I willing to give fucks about. If that ratio stays where I want it, I keep doing my job. I've been doing a similar thing for almost 20 years. I'm with the fourth company. I've been here the longest and like it the most. They just handcuffed me this year so I'll probably ride into the sunset minus any unforeseens.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    This is a lot less common than you may think. Decent paying jobs with lots of time to pursue other passions that are also enjoyable/give back are not the norm.
    I know. But it a TON more common and a lot easier to achieve than having a lasting career of passion that pays a living wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    It who you work with that can make or break a job for me. Work with good people you like, and any job becomes better. Working with enough shitty people can suck the life out of any job.
    This a really good point actually (as it has been my experience) and I'm going to amend my post to add it...

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Our society has put WAY too much into telling people that they should pursue their passion as a career. That sets people up for disappointment.

I view it as winning if I kind of enjoy my jobs, perhaps make a positive impact in the community, and make a living while being afforded a lifestyle I like.
    Agree with these sentiments for sure. I think every year a shitton of kids graduate college and go out searching for their passion, because they're told that is what they should do. When many don't even know what their passion really is at 22, and are highly unlikely to make a successful career of it even if they do know. It leads to serious angst in those 20-something years for many, I know it did for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I liked the comment, "what job would you do for free"? Thinking about that, none would pay me shit except maybe military pilot, but my eyes suck and I am old, so ya, I will settle for what pays at least $100 an hour, allows me to work from home and I only work about 10 hours a week. That works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My passion was/is skiing. I worked in the ski industry. It sucked the life out of me. The passion transitioned to all thing related, so I worked in the general outdoor industry...climbing, kayaking, hiking, etc. That was hell.

My passion now is mtn bike trail building. I love doing it, but it's on my time, my agenda, my plan. I'm sure if I did it as a job I would end up hating it.

To echo others, I feel that a good job is about culture, pay, and just feeling like you contribute in some way that is appreciated which I suppose ties directly into the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    My passion now is mtn bike trail building. I love doing it, but it's on my time, my agenda, my plan. I'm sure if I did it as a job I would end up hating it.
    Same, I equate it to what some get out of gardening...
    I also like that it gives back, even if it's to a small slice of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think every year a shitton of kids graduate college and go out searching for their passion, because they're told that is what they should do. When many don't even know what their passion really is at 22, and are highly unlikely to make a successful career of it even if they do know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastics.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	963.3 KB 
ID:	286755

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastics.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	963.3 KB 
ID:	286755
    My all time favorite movie, without hesitation.

If it was fun, they'd call it play....

My passion was/is skiing. I worked in the ski industry. It sucked the life out of me. The passion transitioned to all thing related, so I worked in the general outdoor industry...climbing, kayaking, hiking, etc. That was hell.
    This is interesting. What is it about the outdoor industry that is so life sucking?

The passion for your job thing is one of the biggest crocks of shit foisted upon the generations following the boomers. I think there is something to be said for liking your co-workers, but that benefit pretty much gets tossed into the "I don't give a shit" pile once you start talking about a 5-10k difference in income.

It's all about the bottom line. Get enough scratch to do what you want in your free time and you'll be pretty happy. I think there is a lot of truth behind that 75k or so gross usually results in the happiest of people. Enough cash to pay the bills, take a vaca or two, and pretty much zero stress. Once you start making more the workload typically increases. I know of no one outside of a trust funder who grosses six figures and isn't putting in 50-60 a week, at a minimum. That just isn't for me.
    Live Free or Die

Truth in that. At the same time that I was selling sexy bras, my bread and butter was polyester ladies pants with waist sizes from 36 to 64.

Words of Wisdom that I got from one of the old timers when I was working for the town sewer dept. "I't may be shit to you, but to me it's bread and butter."
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    explained in the boomer bash-in something like old fucks
    are to greedy to get out/step aside for the next gens turn.
    Ah, a lot of those people have no hobbies or passions. They'll shrivel up and die if they stop working. Work is the only reason they get up in the morning.

Honestly, as my body continues to breakdown after all these years of abuse, I'm concerned about my hobbies and passions that I currently pursue whereas I may not be able to do them in the future. I'm trying to find something that I enjoy that is not so demanding on me physically. So far I have not found it. Golf is the best I've got, but even when I play a good shot or hole or a round, it just doesn't give anything remotely close to the feeling of skiing or mtn biking a fun line. Sailing is my next thought. I've raced a couple of times and it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is interesting. What is it about the outdoor industry that is so life sucking?
    Well, I was in sales. I did retail hell and I also worked for a rep for a very short period thinking that was my direction. If I was selling to a bunch of mags all day it would probably be a blast, but that's not reality. You're mostly dealing with jerry's and just like all sales...it's numbers, budgets, goals, blah blah blah. And a business directly reliant on others expendible income is not a very comfortable place to be. Selling something people need and will consistently need is a more secure place imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    go visit one of the shows like OR or SIA to find out. I don't do them (altho I did attend enough to figure this out) and therefore avoid the negatives for the most part. You still run into it with advertising medium owners/salesmen, other professionals you need at times,also store owners/buyers, etc . its an odd bunch, but I tend not to participate in the cultural system they set up nor interfacing or calling on the retail brick n mortar ops ....lots of liars, arrogance, pontificators, and disloyalty is what I ran into mostly...end user customers for the most part I tend to like...
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Honestly, as my body continues to breakdown after all these years of abuse, I'm concerned about my hobbies and passions that I currently pursue whereas I may not be able to do them in the future. I'm trying to find something that I enjoy that is not so demanding on me physically. So far I have not found it. Golf is the best I've got, but even when I play a good shot or hole or a round, it just doesn't give anything remotely close to the feeling of skiing or mtn biking a fun line. Sailing is my next thought. I've raced a couple of times and it was fun.
    I worry about this. I had a coworker who was very physically active and finally retired when he was probably 65 or so. By that time he had started having problems with balance and dizziness and couldn't ski or ride his bike to the extent he could ten years before. He realized he would finally have the time to pursue his passions, but his body wouldn't let him. Just one more reason to retire as early as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I know of no one outside of a trust funder who grosses six figures and isn't putting in 50-60 a week, at a minimum.
    These gigs are out there. I know a number of people putting in sub 40 hour weeks and are well above that threshold.

What I don't see or know anyone who has done it in their first few years of a particular job. That's a difference I've seen over the years. I see plenty of people get into jobs that are not willing to grind at first. This is all age groups too, not singling out millennials. One personal observation I've made is those who came from rural, ag, timber, etc communities and their folks didn't have money, seem to have more persistence and patience. After a few years of the grind, they are able to decide how much they want to work and how much they want to make.

Many people don't get on the gravy train right away and they try something else thinking that something will be easier and quicker. I can't tell you the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Trying to make a job into your passion (or vice versa) seems to me to be a good way to destroy your enjoyment of the thing you love doing. That saying about turning a hobby into a job...

If my job were riding bikes full-time, I'd probably start hating having to ride bikes all the time.
    wisdom, I work to make $$ to go play.
    Hello darkness my old friend