Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    These will be available soon. Spot on for your needs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Set my old man up with a pair of 179 Wren 98s from last year. They didn't click with him and he's already on some Blizzards for the season. Going to be posting them up in gear swap here soon. Mounted with pivot 14s on the line for a 306BSL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    These will be available soon. Spot on for your needs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Set my old man up with a pair of 179 Wren 98s from last year. They didn't click with him and he's already on some Blizzards for the season. Going to be posting them up in gear swap here soon. Mounted with pivot 14s on the line for a 306BSL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Good spot thank you I PMd him

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I would think 100 +/- 5 underfoot would be good. Medium weight & turn radius. As your skiing gets better, you will likely want something longer, stiffer, heavier. My PM gear 195 super Bros are the perfect SoCal resort ski.

Serious question, If I show up at big bear or mt high to take my 3 year old on the magic carpet for an hour or 2 are they going to make me buy a full price ticket?

Also, would be cool to get updates on conditions in the SoCal ski thread from someone in the mountains often:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ocal-2018-2019

You don't need to worry about anyone stalking you in real life from this forum. Just don't post anything that you would not want your bosses to see.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Yeah, I would think 100 +/- 5 underfoot would be good. Medium weight & turn radius. As your skiing gets better, you will likely want something longer, stiffer, heavier. My PM gear 195 super Bros are the perfect SoCal resort ski.

Serious question, If I show up at big bear or mt high to take my 3 year old on the magic carpet for an hour or 2 are they going to make me buy a full price ticket?

Also, would be cool to get updates on conditions in the SoCal ski thread from someone in the mountains often:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ocal-2018-2019

You don't need to worry about anyone stalking you in real life from this forum. Just don't post anything that you would not want your bosses to see.
    Yeah I agree around 100 sounds good for me at this point.

As a patroller I always get price checks on tickets and I never know cause I ride for free haha! So sorry about that but I’m guessing they would make you full price. But I know kids are cheaper.

BUT

Mountains on federal land such as Mt.High you can walk up and ski for free since this is AMERICA, just can’t use the lifts, so that could work for you.

Also thanks for the post I’ll stop by the so cal forum every once and a while for yah guys.

Fyi: Hart is liquidating all their non-mogul-specific skis right now.

You could get a 174 or 182 Attack (~$160 shipped) for day to day stuff and a 196 Wizard (~$150 shipped)for big dumps for about $310 total shipped.

Patrolman Mustonen has some real clean 184 Monster 98s that might be a good fit too.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5546718

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    The best part is skiing with mags irl. The rest is just staying in touch and staying sane until the next sesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Praxis Rx
    The red ones.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrol_23 View Post
    Good spot thank you I PMd him
    ON3P makes some of if not the most rugged skis around. You’ll need the tough bases for them weak SoCal mountains

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The best part is skiing with mags irl. The rest is just staying in touch and staying sane until the next sesh.
    Sounds like fun to me, me and my girl are both patrollers and plan on traveling to other mountains for some trip so maybe I’ll contact some people here for good times

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    ON3P makes some of if not the most rugged skis around. You’ll need the tough bases for them weak SoCal mountains
    Sounds perfect haha! The search is on

WTB: SKIS!!! Ski Patroller needs help with a quiver

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Fyi: Hart is liquidating all their non-mogul-specific skis right now.

You could get a 174 or 182 Attack (~$160 shipped) for day to day stuff and a 196 Wizard (~$150 shipped)for big dumps for about $310 total shipped.

Patrolman Mustonen has some real clean 184 Monster 98s that might be a good fit too.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5546718
    Didn’t know about heat, I’ll take a look into that and the monsters

+1 for the Brahma.

The size is mostly because I have to pull a sled where the tails can be a problem with hitting the chain break and the actual toboggan if it’s to long of a ski. Also need to be able to turn on a dime on bullet proof ice which is frequent conditions on my mountain so shorter ski makes this easier

Erm... I spent 5 years in sleds on 185, 182 and 190cm skis and never had this issue. Ever. Both cascade and old school toboggans. I bet Toby at Cascade could give you some pointers on your sled technique.

edit to add: the 182 and 190’s were twin tip to boot

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Erm... I spent 5 years in sleds on 185, 182 and 190cm skis and never had this issue. Ever. Both cascade and old school toboggans. I bet Toby at Cascade could give you some pointers on your sled technique.

edit to add: the 182 and 190’s were twin tip to boot
    Yeah I personally don’t see the issue with it but fellow patrollers told me when I asked them for advice on buying skis that I should avoid longer skis for these reasons. I don’t think it’s an issue but just what I was told.

Not understanding why anyone thinks I’m trolling, honestly just looking for suggestions and maybe someone has a ski for me.I’m inexperienced with some stuff when it comes to skis, which I’ve mentioned in my original post. Most of what I know is coming from information I’ve gotten from various patrollers I work with they have the experience so I trust what I’ve heard so far so I’m sorry if you don’t agree with what they said.

That being said I do want to thank everyone who had put in solid advice and suggestions, as a newbie here it’s greatly appreciated

Well, it does kind of look like you are trolling. A full grown man (I assume) considering a 160 to patrol on is silly.
    As far as anything over 175 being too long for a sled- equally silly. Those sleds have been run with 210s thousands of tines. If you are being trained by patrollers who have trouble keeping the tails of a 185 from being clipped by a sled, they truly should not be training you.

This is the kind of stuff an experienced patroller might make up as a joke. That's why it looks like you are trolling. It hadn't occurred to me until you got to the part where experienced patrollers told you a 180 was long. Now I am on the fence regarding whether or not you are real

WTB: SKIS!!! Ski Patroller needs help with a quiver

Rossi Experiences around 165-180 with around 70-90 underfoot is what a couple patrollers I work with run, others ride way different skis that look more fun but little less suited for patrolling but which is why I want more than one ski. Examples would be Line, K2, Black Crows, Factions and Volkls...
    Black Crows Orb would be a solid choice. If mine weren’t mounted teleId let you take them out for a weekend.

Enforcer 93 (or an older set of the Enforcer/Hell&Back vintage off eBay), PB&J, and Bodacious/Brahma are great suggestions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Well, it does kind of look like you are trolling. A full grown man (I assume) considering a 160 to patrol on is silly.
    As far as anything over 175 being too long for a sled- equally silly. Those sleds have been run with 210s thousands of tines. If you are being trained by patrollers who have trouble keeping the tails of a 185 from being clipped by a sled, they truly should not be training you.

This is the kind of stuff an experienced patroller might make up as a joke. That's why it looks like you are trolling. It hadn't occurred to me until you got to the part where experienced patrollers told you a 180 was long. Now I am on the fence regarding whether or not you are real

There seems to be a misunderstanding and a little infereing going on here. Just to clarify, some patrollers told me I should stay under 180. One of the reasons why that I heard from a patroller was because toboggan maneuvering could be a potential issue in circumstantial occasions, for example the rope attached to the chain break on some of our sleds is longer than probably should be and in a rush it could get caught under your ski or something. Another reason for telling me to stick to a shorter ski could be my experience with longer skis is non-existent so maybe it was a recommendation to move up slowly. Also been told larger skis arn't really necessary for the mountain I work at, but I'm looking for skis for more than just where I work.

I wouldn't really want a 160 to patrol on but would consider it given a good deal and they type of ski, but it was really just a reference for people to look at. I AM inexperienced with skis which is I thought it would be fun to come here for help after a friend told me about this site. I'm certainly taking all the advice of everyone I've heard from, which is why i'm looking for a quiver of skis not just one. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

There seems to be a misunderstanding and a little infereing going on here. Just to clarify, some patrollers told me I should stay under 180. One of the reasons why that I heard from a patroller was because toboggan maneuvering could be a potential issue in circumstantial occasions, for example the rope attached to the chain break on some of our sleds is longer than probably should be and in a rush it could get caught under your ski or something. Another reason for telling me to stick to a shorter ski could be my experience with longer skis is non-existent so maybe it was a recommendation to move up slowly. Also been told larger skis arn't really necessary for the mountain I work at, but I'm looking for skis for more than just where I work.

I wouldn't really want a 160 to patrol on but would consider it given a good deal and they type of ski, but it was really just a reference for people to look at. I AM inexperienced with skis which is I thought it would be fun to come here for help after a friend told me about this site. I'm certainly taking all the advice of everyone I've heard from, which is why i'm looking for a quiver of skis not just one. Sorry for any misunderstandings.
    Well, you do sound like you are probably real.

You are getting mostly good advice here.

But, any ski you can handle as a skier, you can handle with a sled. Also, whoever told you height and weight are not factors in choosing a ski is not a great person to take advice from.

Keep away from flat tails- they can auger in doing technical sled work. As somebody who love my Experience 100s, I strongly recommend you avoid them or similar skis.

Ok, man. I would focus on a patrol ski that has camber (since you cited ice being an issue), perhaps a layer of metal if you want extra support when driving a loaded sled. Effective edge is going to be important in the described circumstances, so highly rockered skis won’t feel as stable on hard snow/ice due to their inherently shorter effective edge. At your height/weight look at 175-180cm skis, IMHO. Twin tips suck for setting an X in a groomer when on a case, so from experience you may want to avoid them unless these a lot of fresh snow frequently (which you’ve already stated isn’t the case). Black Crows has 2 models built for patrollers, check them out.

Finally, check your sleds and chain brakes, fixing that stuff is great practice for apprentices or rookies. Also, work on your sled technique, that way even if the brake is sloppy you’ll be able to compensate.

Well, you do sound like you are probably real.

You are getting mostly good advice here.

But, any ski you can handle as a skier, you can handle with a sled. Also, whoever told you height and weight are not factors in choosing a ski is not a great person to take advice from.

Keep away from flat tails- they can auger in doing technical sled work. As somebody who love my Experience 100s, I strongly recommend you avoid them or similar skis.
    Okay thanks for the advice, staying away from experiences. I really am kinda liking the idea of Kartel 98's, Moment PB&J , In talk with someone about a 179 Wren 98, Blizzard Brahma, talking with someone about a ON3P Vicik but its been mounted twice and I would have to remount, and finally talking with someone about some 186 Rossi S3's.

As you can tell I got my eyes on a lot which is exciting haha. Now i'm looking at these black crow orbs that were just suggested and they look like a nice ski considering my preferences.

Any further suggestions from anyone based on these selections I think would be good is always welcome, especially if someone knows of a pair for sale

Ok, man. I would focus on a patrol ski that has camber (since you cited ice being an issue), perhaps a layer of metal if you want extra support when driving a loaded sled. Effective edge is going to be important in the described circumstances, so highly rockered skis won’t feel as stable on hard snow/ice due to their inherently shorter effective edge. At your height/weight look at 175-180cm skis, IMHO. Twin tips suck for setting an X in a groomer when on a case, so from experience you may want to avoid them unless these a lot of fresh snow frequently (which you’ve already stated isn’t the case). Black Crows has 2 models built for patrollers, check them out.

Finally, check your sleds and chain brakes, fixing that stuff is great practice for apprentices or rookies. Also, work on your sled technique, that way even if the brake is sloppy you’ll be able to compensate.
    This is great advice that I was looking for from someone that understand my position thanks. Didn't know about the Black Crows I'll have to look into them more seems like the Orbs are a solid ski for what I'm looking for.

^This is good advice, right down to the length. One other reason to avoid twin tips is the rooster tail they throw hoses the sled passenger.

Your skis are gonna take a pretty fierce beating. Maybe you can find a good deal on some Bonafides or Enforcer 100s. I’m not going to advise you on skis for fun.

Over twelve seasons of paid patrolling.

If you’re on the fence about remounting my Vicik, don’t be. Skis can be mounted 4+ times without issue. Just do it correctly and ski on. It’s not like you’re hucking 60 footers to flat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If you’re on the fence about remounting my Vicik, don’t be. Skis can be mounted 4+ times without issue. Just do it correctly and ski on. It’s not like you’re hucking 60 footers to flat.
    It’s my first set of skis so I wanna be sure, my friends also the one who has to remount them cause I’m not sure how to do it myself and he hasn’t responded to me yet. Also it’s like a whirlwind of excitement, imagine my position haha. Like a damn kid in the candy store

Something used/cheap is a good bet.

Thread could have ended two pages ago.
    Especially if you’ll do any control work.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i haz a mint pair of 200 cm atomic heli guides with markers selective control binders with ice hardpack and pow settings to cover it all
    ill give ya
    show up and kick ass on those
    your hill captain or patrol head next season
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno