Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    You pay less now for a pass than in the 80's. That started when VR bought heavenly. Splat, you and i see eye to eye on the exiting regime. Cohee and now Cobb leaving is the best thing to happen in years.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using TGR Forums

the problem I have with vail is that they gradually seem to cunt things up.

first the dirt parking lot will go away. then some lifts will be upgraded. then some more lifts will be upgraded. more shit will get groomed, more shit will get tracked out faster. more people on the mountains, more lift lines. then a nice new on mountain restaurant and base lodge. 5 years later you've got yourself a wonderful base area "village" complete with shitty ass timeshares that will be sold for upwards of 1 million at "one ski hill place" or some similar vailresorts bullshit.

then the base area will need to expand, so shit, better remove the parking lot and put it two miles away and connect it with a gondola. that way there is room for starwood to build more timeshares, who vail resorts is in bed with btw. they can also develop condos along the gondola with their own stops to market their "exclusivity," just like they've done at breck and beaver creek. and if you do want to park close you can pay 30 dollars and then be required to walk an additional half mile through the disney esque village complete with heated sidewalks and frenchfry heaters overhead and escalators so you dont get cold while walking to the slopes.

It sounds like I am exaggerating, but I have lived in colorado my whole life. and 15 yrs ago, when vail resorts bought keystone/breck no one would have believed me if I said that all of that would happen. but it did, and more. everything I listed above is true, and has actually happened here in colorado over the past 10-15 years. its been a gradual change. for the worse.

and yes the parking garage at vail is in fact 30 dollars this season

but also the free cookies are a nice perk if kirkwood gets really POSH

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    everything I listed above is true, and has actually happened here in colorado over the past 10-15 years. its been a gradual change. for the worse.
    10-15 more years of the now departing management would leave us with a resort that had been shuttered for 5-10 years. I don't understand how this is worse.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Dirtbag snowboarder?

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    who are you and who do you work for?
    My name is Andy J. Fudd - Millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Seriously. My name is Andy. I live in Lafayette, own an Epic Pass since my in laws have a pad in East Vail, and I grew up in San Jose, went to Leland High School, De Anza CC, and my buddy has a place 30 mins from Kirkwood. We used to go up every weekend we could. We would get the $200 season pass from snow bomb.com. I love Kirkwood. I worked at OpenTable.com before I got laid off in January. Ever since they bought Heavenly and Northstar I've been pining for them to pick up Kirkwood too. I hope Kirkwood doesn't abandon that $200 season pass for students though. That would be a pretty big bummer fur mah homies. I'm sure they are in for a ticket price hike, though. Shitty. Hopefully it compels them to come ski with me more in CO, though.

Good enough for ya?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

A Basin is still one of the coolest mountains in America. And, if parking is an issue, drive a few miles further to Beaver.

Hugh Conway Guest

first the dirt parking lot will go away. then some lifts will be upgraded. then some more lifts will be upgraded. more shit will get groomed, more shit will get tracked out faster. more people on the mountains, more lift lines. then a nice new on mountain restaurant and base lodge. 5 years later you've got yourself a wonderful base area "village" complete with shitty ass timeshares that will be sold for upwards of 1 million at "one ski hill place" or some similar vailresorts bullshit.

then the base area will need to expand, so shit, better remove the parking lot and put it two miles away and connect it with a gondola. that way there is room for starwood to build more timeshares, who vail resorts is in bed with btw. they can also develop condos along the gondola with their own stops to market their "exclusivity," just like they've done at breck and beaver creek. and if you do want to park close you can pay 30 dollars and then be required to walk an additional half mile through the disney esque village complete with heated sidewalks and frenchfry heaters overhead and escalators so you dont get cold while walking to the slopes.

It sounds like I am exaggerating, but I have lived in colorado my whole life. and 15 yrs ago, when vail resorts bought keystone/breck no one would have believed me if I said that all of that would happen. but it did, and more. everything I listed above is true, and has actually happened here in colorado over the past 10-15 years. its been a gradual change. for the worse.

err, this is what Kirkwood was doing under the prior owners. except they didn't really have the money to finish it which is the shittiest outcome. Vail Resorts may have expensive burgers but they are hot and in a mold-free bun. As opposed to cold moldy burgers. And being scared people will steal the sugar packets.

Have you even been to Kirkwood? I'm guessing not, since not much more can be groomed. If they put a lift up Pali, that might change; but the existing lift system is pretty much groomed out as much as you can given the terrain.

As for parking, it's already a clusterfuck. We've lost a lot of formerly free parking to $20 lots already. So that's not an issue. The biggest issue is that there isn't enough parking on really busy days. It's gotten slightly worse due to the fact that they've gotten rid of a bit of parking for condos. Bottomline, it can only improve at this point.

One more point, I can't wait for Vail to bring in some real shuttle busses. The current system is a total cluster. I've been there on super busy days where it's after 4pm, chair 6 is closed so you can't ski back to Timber Creek, and they're only running one shuttle in the meadow. Infuriating doesn't quite capture it...

At this point, I almost don't care what they do to the place. There's nowhere to go but up.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    A Basin is still one of the coolest mountains in America. And, if parking is an issue, drive a few miles further to Beaver.
    yes, arapahoe basin is owned by dundee real estate holdings. therefore, not a vail resort

yes, arapahoe basin is owned by dundee real estate holdings. therefore, not a vail resort
    It's on the Epic pass. Dude.

Hey, didn't you say you lived in Co. all your life? And I have to tell you that?

parking is 25 dollars for all day and if you pay for parking @Vail then you are doing it wrong....just saying.

I get that everyone wants their little ski hill to stay that way, but things don't work that way. It sounds like to me that some VR money pumped into KW will upgrade the experience and allow KW to stay open and become a more reliable place to ski and ride. Sure, that comes with some shitty parts like more skiers, more development, etc....but nothing is free.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

just did a few hours at the heave. i presented my KW pass at the ticket window and got a day pass (you need to do this each time).

wow, compared to KW, Heavenly has very low coverage with lots of terrain closed. and of course the infamous flat traverses - made even more fun for this snowboarder by ski week kids and parents stopped 3 across the traverse track.

i think i'll wait for more snow to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I've been there on super busy days where it's after 4pm, chair 6 is closed so you can't ski back to Timber Creek, and they're only running one shuttle in the meadow. Infuriating doesn't quite capture it...

At this point, I almost don't care what they do to the place. There's nowhere to go but up.
    Really? how often has this been a problem. Why don't you just take the highspeed quad up for your last lap?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post
    Really? how often has this been a problem. Why don't you just take the highspeed quad up for your last lap?
    It's your second year skiing KW. Damn. I'm not much better but still. Maybe Arty was pounding beers with his homies in the Tower lot. Or maybe Blotto got blotto and convinced him to hit a doobie, or Kush convinced him to ski with a beer bong.

We'll see what happens. Coop seems stoked though, so my stoke level is high. This weekend will be _____ and I will most likely ski and will not bitch about it on the internet. I will park where I usually park but will pretend I won't. Hopefully the power will stay on. I will read on the internet how Vail is going to fuck everything up but will welcome the change. I will read about the PNO and oscillations while not understanding a word of it, and hope that it snows and remember that I used to slide down on plastic lunch trays in Vermont and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

So who's going to start printing "I've Got Epic Wood" t-shirts in the epic / vail font? This really needs to happen.

none needed

"Vail at Kirkwood". Sounds like an oxymoron. We're going to become civilized now.
    Although, all kidding aside, this was the best of the three options for Kirkwood.

Of course, in time, we will all reminisce about the old days when a case of beer was accepted as currency within the valley.

At the end of the day it's just a business, albeit one with a very passionate customer base. If VMR (or whatever their name is) is smart, their well heeled marketing department will capitilize on that passion. (There you go Vail, I just gave you your first hint- now throw some corporate shares my way- a season pass would suffice too)

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Open The Cirque. I for one am willing to sign the waiver from legal.

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c View Post
    It's your second year skiing KW. Damn. I'm not much better but still. Maybe Arty was pounding beers with his homies in the Tower lot. Or maybe Blotto got blotto and convinced him to hit a doobie, or Kush convinced him to ski with a beer bong.
    What's your point? Wasn't a callout at all I was just curious how often this happened because I've been fortunate enough to not be stuck at the bottom when I've parked over at timber creek.

Arty, more to your point parking does suck ass on super busy days.

We'll see what happens. Coop seems stoked though, so my stoke level is high. This weekend will be _____ and I will most likely ski and will not bitch about it on the internet. I will park where I usually park but will pretend I won't. Hopefully the power will stay on. I will read on the internet how Vail is going to fuck everything up but will welcome the change. I will read about the PNO and oscillations while not understanding a word of it, and hope that it snows and remember that I used to slide down on plastic lunch trays in Vermont and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Well put brotha - I think that it takes at least a 4 year stint in Vermont to give one proper perspective.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Maybe he was riding up 10 and the power shit the bed, or everything went on wind hold. Maybe he was on the 18 minute ride up chair 4 to hit a thunder saddle/vista lap, since it was a pow day and the backside didn't open until 2:30.

This happens A LOT.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

the upsides as i see them:
    maybe on the grid-if not the NEW powerhouse with new generators should crank enough juice.
    newer and more snow cats- that means with grooming done at night, patrol can open the mt.sooner. this has been a problem the last bunch of years.
    retain patrol- experience @ a class a avi resort doesn't come quick or easy.
    more snowmaking- hate it, but on a year like this, need it.
    paved lots- i don't know about you, but i love getting my car/gear muddy (on the inside )
    please feel free to add to this list

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    1) Have you even been to Kirkwood? 2) At this point, I almost don't care what they do to the place. There's nowhere to go but up.
    1) Ha

2) But what if....dear god....they take away our precious ***** Lot to park in?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I'm curious how long the "temp" tent will last under vail ownership.
    Last edited by idiot; 02-23-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: sp
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    I'm curious how long the "temperary" tent will last under vail owenership.
    We just call them yurts. Folks seem to dig 'em.

fair enough.....

I saw a bumpersticker on a car at KW that said "Timber Creek "it's intents""

made me laugh
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I get that everyone wants their little ski hill to stay that way, but things don't work that way. It sounds like to me that some VR money pumped into KW will upgrade the experience and allow KW to stay open and become a more reliable place to ski and ride. Sure, that comes with some shitty parts like more skiers, more development, etc....but nothing is free.
    oh fer fucks sake shut up. kirkwoods got a shitty half done base, can't really accommodate that many more lifts as it stands and already has too many people