Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Touring setup

Touring setup

Yo maggots, been a long long time. Hopefully some of the old timers are still around these here parts. I got some gear questions I know you guys can help me on.

Quick version is this. Skiied 100+ days a year for a decade then moved back home, got married, had 3 kids, got a real job, etc. you guys know the drill. My backcountry setup is 2007 Gotamas 183, with free rides (bought new, yes it's been a while). Haven't been skiing outside the midwest much and don't know dick about the current gear.

Fast forward to the now. I'm headed to Chamonix to climb/ski from the summit of Mont Blanc. 12400 vert. I need a whole new setup, light is good but not to the level that downhill performance sucks. Crampon compatible (skis and boots). Been out of the loop a long time. I need the help. I want to get the gear now, ski it all season so I can get it dialed prior to my April trip.

Been looking at Scarpa Maestrale or Salomon S Lab Mtn boots, G3 ion bindings, no idea on skis. Am I on the right track? Recommendations? I have no interest in Carbon skis, I like feeling something under my feet. My days of straight lines and hard charging are done. Point me towards the hero skis. I want the fast, easy to drive ones.

Thanks Guys.......and girls, wait are there girls on here now?

Yo, easy!!!! Good to see you around, mang!

Splat!!!!!! What's up...you still making skis?

fristchis and Gotamas were a nice setup in 2007. Pin bindings have come a long way since then. Lots of good options (G3, Dynafit, Plum, etc). If you're interested in a little more safety you can get a pin binding with elasticity (Vipec) or swivel (Dynafit 2.0). All boots are so much better now. Maestrale RS, MTN lab, etc. are all excellent, get the one that fits you best.

If you want to stick with Vokll the V-works skis are great and the BMTs are light and easy to ski. So many good skis around 2000g that will ride well in the BC or on the hill.

1. Keep the Gotama's. Great ski.

2. Pick up the Soly MTN Labs (assuming they fit) and the Ions.

3. Ski.

4. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

It seems as if Moore's law applies to touring boot progress in terms of weight to performance ratio. All the usual suspects apply: Technica, Atomic, Salomon, Scarpa, Scott (Garmot). In general, the TGR crowd isn't liking what Dynafit has done since the Vulcan.

For a good mix of inbounds & touring capabilities, check out the Fritschi Vipec Evos. Note that @auvgeek says the Cham crowd isn't into Vipecs in YFYD terrain, however. I think there's still a pair on gear swap.

You'll find ongoing QC issues reported here for the Marker Kingpins. In traditionlal pin bindings, there are tons of options, and G3s gets their share of love around here, as do the light Dynafits (not Radicals), ATKs, Plums, Salomons ...

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-29-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

-Go try on boots, buy the one that fits best.

-Bindings are all good nowadays. Buy the one that matches your ski. Seriously though, Kingpins feel really good skiing.

-Carbon is so damn light though. JJ Zero would be sick.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

All of the gear mentioned thus far is solid, and a good choice for general ski touring, but I'd consider something lighter and more mountaineering-oriented for your Mt. Blanc trip.

Boots in the 1200 gram range (Atomic Backland Carbon, Dynafit TLT7 or Speedfit, Salomon S/Lab X-Alp, Scarpa F1, etc.), bindings in the sub 300 gram range (Atomic Backland Tech/Salomon MTN, Marker Alpinist, G3 Zed, Dynafit Speedfit, etc.), skis sub 1400 grams and 95mm or narrower (Blizzard Zero G 85/95, Atomic Backland 85/95, Salomon MTN Explore 85/95, Volkl BMT 90/94, etc.) are a good place to start for a trip that entails a lot of climbing with skis on your pack and little to no ripping big turns on the descent or dropping big air.

As far as skis are concerned, this is more or less the type of missions that the Black Crows Solis was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    As far as skis are concerned, this is more or less the type of missions that the Black Crows Solis was designed for.
    Solis also does Super-G:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solis.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	248939

Bruno is lookers left, skiing the 173cm like a big mountain ski.

Gotta love that skin attachment hole in the tip, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Gotta love that skin attachment hole in the tip, too.
    Yeah, they really have an eye for the aesthetics over at Crows! Looks to be a great little adventure ski. Nice video on their site too.

hadn't seen that... very intriguing ski

Thanks for all the info fellas.

I've got some 191 Lhasa Pows i'd probably let go, but i'm guessing that's a bit longer than you're thinking.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I am completely comfortable admitting that that is more ski then I can handle at this point in my career.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I am completely comfortable admitting that that is more ski then I can handle at this point in my career.
    And yet you have no problems envisioning skiing down from the summit of Mt Blanc..?

I don't know that these meet your needs. I picked these Nanuqs up for similar purposes (although I don't see tthe possibility of Cham this year). I just didn't bond with them:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=319934

... Thom
    Galibier Design

And yet you have no problems envisioning skiing down from the summit of Mt Blanc..?
    I surmise his response was about the 191cm length

It seems a somewhat odd goal for a comeback year generally.

There was a thread a while back with someone asking basic questions about mountaineering with the same project in mind... what type of ice axe or something...

I think they just started a strict permit process for summit.. not sure of details or if it includes winter. But the OP might want to look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Solis look like a promising ski for this sort of endeavor. Zero G 108's would be good too. They do have carbon, but they're not super light. Beefier than many current resort skis. Long radius. More predictable than fun.

I'd go with lighter bindings: SSL 2.0's or Solly MTN. Whatever boots fit. Lot's of good ones these days.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Solis look like a promising ski for this sort of endeavor. Zero G 108's would be good too. They do have carbon, but they're not super light. Beefier than many current resort skis. Long radius. More predictable than fun.

I'd go with lighter bindings: SSL 2.0's or Solly MTN. Whatever boots fit. Lot's of good ones these days.
    I'm not familiar with the Solis, but the Black Crows sound similar in many ways to a Down CD 104 (NTTAWTT).

I've been on a Down kick ;-) (weight/width/turn radius/rocker profile). SSL 2.0s would definitely save weight on all of these skis.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

lol yeah..

Good point. Fully confident in my abilities, been on big mountains plenty. I don't have anything to prove to anyone. This climb/ski is for very personal reasons. As for the ski, I am looking to stay safe, enjoy the up and the down, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Splat!!!!!! What's up...you still making skis?
    Kinda......not really.