Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Smith lifetime warranty applies to Suncloud optics! Lifetime warranty on $40 discontinued Smith frame styles? Fkna!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Weber grills. Melted the bottom out of my 5 year old gas grill (brisket grease fire), called them asking how much a replacement cost, they sent it for free. Customer for life now.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Outdoor Research has been over the top with their lifetime guarantee. It's one thing to replace an item due to a minor defect or breakage, it's another to replace a replacement with another at no cost.

Last year a pair of Trailbreaker pants were replaced due to a broken zipper. (I would have been fine with a repaired zipper). Also, a pair of Igneous pants had a couple broken zippers. These were replaced with newer ones, because their new Skyward pants were unavailable until post season at a $75 or so, upgrade cost. This, with the understanding they'd still take the Igneous pants back after I used them for the reminder of the season, which I did. They performed fine and I was content.

This past July, out of the blue, I get an email from OR stating that the Skywards were available to exchange for the Igneous pants. I was moderately interested and asked to confirm additional cost. They took back the Igneous pants and upgraded me with a new pair of Skywards for FREE!

I did not expect this at all and would have been content at the outset with repairs for the cheapo zipper issues, even locally if I could find someone to do the repairs. (It appears the newer zippers on both pairs are more robust.) This sets the bar pretty high for customer service expectations. It is not sustainable for all businesses to provide multiple replacements for small defects, especially on normal wearing components.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Really positive experiences with:
    -Outdoor Research
    -Thule
    -Burton (AK jacket and pants replaced)
    -North Face
    -Armada
    -REI

It really does make you lean towards those brands next time you're in the market for something.
    i shred the gnar

This thread inspired me to do an experiment on the state of random customer service.

I have a pair of lined Duluth Firehose pants that I've completely worn out; to the point of sewing the front pockets that blew out, patching the knees and back pockets with leather, etc.

So, they are just done. Served their usable life. So, I ordered another pair.

That new pair came with a free return label. So, I folded up the old ones and put them in the bag with the new invoice and wrote, "tried to rescue them".

Didn't ask for anything, don't expect anything. Hopefully someone will look at them and see where perhaps they could improve upon them.

If anything comes of it, I'll post up. Otherwise, all it did was save me a trip to the dumpster for the pants and the bag, but I am a bit curious.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Ordered a drill bit from Tognar Toolworks, bubble mailer arrived today damaged, sans bit. Called them up and explained the situation (5 minutes before they close leading into a long holiday weekend) and the guy on the phone said he'd take care of it. He stayed late at work to grab and package a new one (in a cardboard box this time) and then dropped it off at the post office on his way home from the shop. Reminded me of why I like to support small shops.

Tognar has never let me down, absolutely first rate service. Kudos.

^^^ Duluth credited me for the pants.

On another note, I contacted Merrell about my soles delaming on my less than year old shoes.

They contacted me right away and asked for pics, which I sent, then got back to me right quick and told me I could have a replacement pair if I sent them a picture of mine with the tongues cut out.

This seemed weird to me, but hey, free shoes, so I snipped the top of the tongues off where the size is and e-mailed them in. Got a new pair in about a week.

Tonight, I made some really comfy slippers.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Evo.com - really hassle free return and refund, no real questions asked.

Black Crows - while it took awhile to get a response, I was sent out some replacement parts (straps) for a faulty ski pole. Only had an issue with one of the straps but they sent me a set so I have a spare. Replacement was first option, but international shipping made things annoying so this was my choice, they agreed no problem!

Glad this thread is here.

Grom1 somehow removed and evaporated the Velcro vent cover of her Bern Diabla helmet. Got an email from Bern Unlimited that a replacement was in the mail an hour after I wrote. Giddyup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Respect to Tecnica. Had an issue with my new Zero G Guide Pro's. They had a new pair on my feet with 3 weeks.

K2 surprised me, bought a pair of Pinnacle 130s that blew a cuff pivot and had a faulty walk mech. Took a while during the holidays but got a brand new pair of boots eventually, without having to send the bad ones in.

Props to Liberty Skis as well, had a pair of Helix's come apart at the tip. Told them I didn't want to send them in, so they instructed me to drill right through them or break them in half so they couldn't be used for warranty again, and they'd send me a new pair. Got them in a week. Hassle free and real quick service.

Questionable experience with Salomon, cracked the shell on a Quest Pro 130, and was offered an in-store credit (to the store that processed the warranty) for $100. Paid $300 for the boots, they were second hand but almost unused. Better than nothing? Still kind of frustrating. Broke another pair of the same boots that I bought brand new, so I'll see what they do this time.

Props to GOODE Skis, for (attempting) to honour a 5 year old return authorization number.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

What steps it up into next-level customer service for me, is when companies back up products that were purchased second hand. Props to Black Diamond for replacing a pair of Helio 105s for one of my touring partners, based on a delaminating tip, despite having purchased them used, and telling him he could keep the old ones to use as rock skis. Impressive.

Props to...rad customer service / warranty experiences

Liberty Skis

Years ago, maybe only their first or second in existence, they ran a promotion in Freeskier. Tear out their ad and send it back to them, and they would send you some stickers, etc.

Cut to a year later. I get a snail mail letter offering pro form on any of their upcoming season’s models. Super awesome deal in and of itself. Additionally, I was booked for an early December trip that year and didn’t know if I’d get my new skis in time. Called them up, explained my situation, they bumped me forward in their queue, and I had my skis in hand within a week. Best brand experience of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post
    Respect to Tecnica. Had an issue with my new Zero G Guide Pro's. They had a new pair on my feet with 3 weeks.
    and they didnt even say anything about the chain saw marks on the toe
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

BCA has been stellar - replacing 2 backpacks that I bought used (even after telling them that I bought them used). I've created their own threads in the past, but it's worth another mention here. Really went above and beyond to take care of me.

Seth

Smith question (since they're mentioned a few times in this thread) for those who have experience: I have not had the same stellar experience, mailed back some glasses and they said nuh-uh; I'm not calling them out on that (it was a questionable issue and I was just hoping I'd get the rad customer service experience described here), but it leads to my current question. I just put on my glasses and there's a huge spider web crack that wasn't there the last time I wore them. I don't know what happened, there's no impact that I recall and there doesn't appear to be any indication of impact on the frame, but OTOH a giant crack is a fairly good indicator of impact. Is it worth my while to send them back or would I just be wasting my time?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Impressed with Moosejaw recently. Ordered a climbing rope from them their site listed as dry-treated. It wasn't. Messaged them; they honored the non-treated price for a dry-treated replacement, and allowed a return on the incorrectly-described rope.

Also had good luck with Evo's price match post-purchase. Direct refund of the difference + 5% to my credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    BCA has been stellar - replacing 2 backpacks that I bought used (even after telling them that I bought them used). I've created their own threads in the past, but it's worth another mention here. Really went above and beyond to take care of me.

Seth
    They hooked up a replacement part for a beacon FAST. Despite the fact I probably broke it being clumsy.

Trew Gear just hooked me up. Three season old bibs had a zipper blow out, the zipper had already been fixed once by them on warranty previously. They hooked me up with a brand new pair of bibs and told me to keep the old pair.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Smith question (since they're mentioned a few times in this thread) for those who have experience: I have not had the same stellar experience, mailed back some glasses and they said nuh-uh; I'm not calling them out on that (it was a questionable issue and I was just hoping I'd get the rad customer service experience described here), but it leads to my current question. I just put on my glasses and there's a huge spider web crack that wasn't there the last time I wore them. I don't know what happened, there's no impact that I recall and there doesn't appear to be any indication of impact on the frame, but OTOH a giant crack is a fairly good indicator of impact. Is it worth my while to send them back or would I just be wasting my time?
    Worst case scenario, you waste 10 minutes and a couple bucks on shipping hassles. It's a fairly low risk transaction. Best case scenario, you get new sunnies and look hella fly.

Osprey packs. Great every time.

Experience with Patagonia has been disappointing over the years, especially related to delaminations of shells.

Would file Dynafit under "the mediocre" my Vertical FT's cracked on the plastic baseplate under the carbon. Forward pressure is fully fucked on one ski, failed at the top of an ascent. Had to ski strap my boot in to get to the car and they only response was that they were discontinued, and should probably be retired anyways. Granted they are 9 years old, they maybe have 70 days on them. Now I'm out a pair of bindings and a pair of skis, considering I had just remounted the bindings on a new (to me) pair of skis with one set of holes.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Impressed with Moosejaw recently. Ordered a climbing rope from them their site listed as dry-treated. It wasn't. Messaged them; they honored the non-treated price for a dry-treated replacement, and allowed a return on the incorrectly-described rope.

Also had good luck with Evo's price match post-purchase. Direct refund of the difference + 5% to my credit card.
    that’s a cool story but moose ljaw has been bought by walmart tho so i’ll be taking my money elsewhere anyway. wouldn’t expect the customer service to continue like that, either. shame, that shop was always ok
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi