Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    IBU aka shipping container aka the shit aka all u need aka the best aka killer shed
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

KSL occasionally has free sheds. Owners just want it gone from their property. Sometimes you gotta disassemble to get it out of their yard, sometimes the sheds look like you a strong wind could disassemble it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    If you have any framing skills and time, what your looking at can be done DIY for far less than a $3k tough shed. If you don't have those, save yourself the work/ frustration and have them do it.
    Or building a shed might be an excellent way to begin to acquire basic carpentry skills.

Check your local building code for the maximum size shed you can build without a permit, engineering, etc. Ours was 8 x 12 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The advantage of a pre made shed is that two of you can get it built and painted in a weekend.
    Well, yeah. I'm trying to figure out what kind of premium I'm paying for that convenience, if any, before I go through the hassle of spec'ing out the cost to build one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    If you have any framing skills and time, what your looking at can be done DIY for far less than a $3k tough shed. If you don't have those, save yourself the work/ frustration and have them do it.
    As I said, I built a deck a few years ago that is holding up great so a basic shed seems within my skillset. Seems like it would be a satisfying project once it's done and would be something good to have my 7 y.o. help out with.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    KSL occasionally has free sheds. Owners just want it gone from their property. Sometimes you gotta disassemble to get it out of their yard, sometimes the sheds look like you a strong wind could disassemble it for you.
    That's a solid idea.

FWIW, I think the kit was just a shade over a grand. So the savings was probably on the order of $400-$500 at the high end.

Not having to get out a saw? Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As I said, I built a deck a few years ago that is holding up great so a basic shed seems within my skillset. Seems like it would be a satisfying project once it's done and would be something good to have my 7 y.o. help out with.
    Seems like moves the build-it option way towards the front of the line, assuming you don't find one on Craigslist.

I'm not big on kits, but that might just be me. I've had better luck with the durability of stick-building shit.

Download google sketchup. Use it to figure out your stud layout. Borrow, rent or buy a nail gun (sheathing nail schedules are a chore without) and build it in a weekend or two (assumes you have a foundation ready).

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Check out what some dude is asking $750 for: http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/43948557

I think I'll counter with a pound of bacon and some old socks.

Check out what some dude is asking $750 for: http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/43948557

and make sure he gets rid of all the bodies inside.

Barns and Backbuildings: Plans, Kits and Building Help

I want to build this one. I'm thinking lambing shed in the front, chickens in the back:

http://www.backroadhome.net/djb-03-b...arn-plans.html

Thanks for that link.

Been thinking about a small pole barn style for my firewood. To be followed with a "shed" for tools, follow with shed for home office, follow with other "sheds" for kids rooms when they get tired of living in top of each other. All in line with developing better carpentry skills. With sheds for office or living spaces, I have always thought that the concrete deck blocks would be easier than a slab foundation as my whole property is on a mild slope.

This guy is great. Wonder why he's selling?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    This guy is great. Wonder why he's selling?
    I like the other items he's selling, especially the "calvary" sword and accordion.

When my son was about 3 we added a second story. Once I had the subfloor in he would be up there with me while I framed the walls. One day I find him sitting in the backyard with a chunk of 2x4 between his legs, a hammer (full size framing hammer--he's a strong kid), and some 16d nails. He's pounding the nails into the wood, all the while repeating "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit."

Make clear the socks are retired baby catchers

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I like the other items he's selling, especially the "calvary" sword and accordion.
    "Large steel animal cage / western jail"

Next week: 100% organic material dresses - size 14

A few years ago I built a 10x10 shed for right around $1,000 including the concrete foundation.... I did have help from a contractor friend, but it's been rock solid since the day it was built. Of course, I now wish it was four times bigger.

BYO. My buddy just built a shed for his bikes, got plans from here: http://icreatables.com/sheds/shed-plans

HA! These sheds are no better and are free: http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/searc...iles=25&sort=0

It may take awhile to find a gem and it will go same-day most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Whoa, I hadn't looked at those. I kind of want to meet this person out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    A few years ago I built a 10x10 shed for right around $1,000 including the concrete foundation.... I did have help from a contractor friend, but it's been rock solid since the day it was built. Of course, I now wish it was four times bigger.
    I don't see how that price is possible. The concrete alone would eat up at least half that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    BYO. My buddy just built a shed for his bikes, got plans from here: http://icreatables.com/sheds/shed-plans
    Those look really good, especially the materials lists, thanks. I think I'll take one of the materials lists into a couple building supply places and see what the total works out to.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-26-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Shed in a box, got mine at Tractor Supply. $199

10x14
    I was gonna call bullshit, but your talkin cloth / fabric sides, right?

I looked hard and the cheepest I could find (+-2010) was the classic metal shed @ lowes. the prefab shed itself was $299 I beleive, with maybe another $75 in lumber for the floor / footings. It's going strong. Just grew up a bunch of crap around it so nobody could see it.
    "Can't you see..."

Sheds - Kit or Build From Scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post

Next week: 100% organic material dresses - size 14
    Probably a little tight for digitaldeath's MILFs.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    I looked hard and the cheepest I could find (+-2010) was the classic metal shed @ lowes. the prefab shed itself was $299 I beleive, with maybe another $75 in lumber for the floor / footings. It's going strong. Just grew up a bunch of crap around it so nobody could see it.
    I actually don't think those metals sheds look too terrible and the price is certainly attractive. But, even the demo models usually look like they are already starting to rust out, and they look like they'd easily collapse under a decent snow load.