On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Applying for jobs across the country....

for a JONG?

I haven't really applied for a job in a long time, and never for one 2000+ miles away.

Is LinkedIn actually worth a damn? Hire a head-hunter? Flood email in-boxes even if they aren't currently hiring?

What is it ya do?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    What is it ya do?
    Currently operations/project manager for a chain of 14 car washes. We wash over 1M cars annually, and have been adding roughly one new site per year the last few years.

Headhunters tend to find their clients and get paid by the employer if they place someone. I've actually had good luck on craigslist/indeed.com. If you're applying far away, do you have friends where you want to be living? If so, see if you can use their mailing addresses and get your ass to in-person interviews if they're offered - unless your skills are in high demand its hard to justify the uncertainty of making an offer to an out of city/state employee who you've only spoken to by phone.

Set up linked in job alerts. Set up Glassdoor and indeed job alerts. Remove your physical address from resume and just leave email and cell #. Start applying and use the phone screens to ask a lot of good questions. Set up multiple interviews over a few day period and fly out for them.

Or do what I did, quit your job, move, and make finding a job your full time job. Operations Manager is general enough that you'll find work within a few months.

1. Scour job boards for jobs you want. Only focus on the best matches.
    2. Tailor your resume specifically for that job. Mention the company on the resume and cover letter. Be specialized.
    3. Use Linkin to find out who the position reports to. Figure out their email address by using the interwebs
    4. Apply through their online portal of death where all dreams go to die.
    5. Send an email to the contact in step 3 above mentioning you applied online
    6. Send follow up emails every week until they say fuck off or invite you to a call. Stop after 4.
    7. If you really, really want the job, lie and tell them you'll be in the area thereby relieving them of the cost of bringing you in town. Then foot the bill to get your ass on site when they offer.

Every day try to identify one or two BEST matches for your skills and commit to the process above with those opportunities.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ideally, I will move to the area (Bozeman) with a grip of cash and be able to spend all my time looking for work for a couple months.

I do have a friend I have known for 25 years who has lived there for 15 years who is looking for me as well. I am just way too busy with work now to even spend any time job hunting out there.

In case you're interested, the Boise, Idaho area is booming right now as far as business development.

If it's hard for you to find a job in Bozone, Boise has a lot of perks, plus there's great skiing in every direction.

Considering it's not 2009 anymore, I'd say you have a decent chance of getting whatever​ you're qualified for.
    I'd definitely go on a scouting mission ahead of time. Face to the name, and all. It's what I did before I moved to Bozeman in 2007 and the town is about twice the size now.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Considering it's not 2009 anymore, I'd say you have a decent chance of getting whatever​ you're qualified for.
    I'd definitely go on a scouting mission ahead of time. Face to the name, and all. It's what I did before I moved to Bozeman in 2007 and the town is about twice the size now.
    This is what I'd recommend as well. I moved here in 2012 and got very little traction before moving up here. It might be different now that it's booming but I found people are much more apt to respond to someone with a local address.