Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fortress Update [Black Crows - Ghost Resorts Ep 2]

Wish the pics in the ancient threads were visible, curse you photobucket.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

If you get the chance to ride KPOW do it, some how some way that area gets slammed with snow. I have been a few times and it a great operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBWnzaO-xk
    Last edited by thecadgod; 01-13-2022 at 06:09 PM.

I’m sick of the bulls shit going on about that place, three groups now have gone thru ownership and the government department responsible for the lease keeps letting them pay a pittance for a private ski area, keeps the public out due to a ‘ministerial order’ based on a condition that was fixed years ago and keeps letting them push back when they have to reopen. None of .these groups have ever had any money behind them and no no legitimate chance of ever reopening it as a lift serviced ski hill. So open the road and return it to public use and quit making belief otherwise.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Cool flick

I've had some really good days there. It'd be great to have a ski touring hut or lodge up there. A nice day trip through the mountains to the spray/chester lake area in that snow belt. A lot of options come into play with access to fortress area

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Hello, I'm here to post this post-apocalyptic picture of me in this very important thread.

(This was before INCEPTION and KPOW but could be the inspiration for both).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tim pull.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	401142
    Relatively low post count.

Quote Originally Posted by thecadgod View Post
    If you get the chance to ride KPOW do it, some how some way that area gets slammed with snow. I have been a few times and it a great operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBWnzaO-xk
    Fun day for sure but I wouldn't compare it to the backcountry cat operations in the interior (nearly the same price too as I recall).

Never rode the old resort but ripping around on the cat up there gave me an idea for why so many people loved it. Nice sheltered zone that collects snow in some very interesting terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Fun day for sure but I wouldn't compare it to the backcountry cat operations in the interior (nearly the same price too as I recall).

Never rode the old resort but ripping around on the cat up there gave me an idea for why so many people loved it. Nice sheltered zone that collects snow in some very interesting terrain.
    You hit the nail on the head, but so close to the Calgary airport. 100% places in the interior got much better terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua toque View Post
    Hello, I'm here to post this post-apocalyptic picture of me in this very important thread.

(This was before INCEPTION and KPOW but could be the inspiration for both).

Name:	Tim pull.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	401142

Love it! We share the same humour!!

Rest In Peace

The terrain is to flat, to short and the tenure is to small for anything feasible. Let’s not forget there is 1000’s of acres available of public land surrounding that people are skiing on. Makes zero sense to plow the road for a few people and take on the liability As the government to have a few newbs risking life and limb learning how to backcountry ski on unmanaged fgp.

Your childhood is over, so is the memory of how great it was when you are 4ft tall...

The movie is great but it’s just a movie the historian has no history at fortress!!! Dead horse is a dead horse that’s why f all is happening
    Last edited by teamdirt; 01-14-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecadgod View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, but so close to the Calgary airport. 100% places in the interior got much better terrain.
    The BBQ lunch at the bottom of a run is a nice touch too, but so is the crate of beer at the bottom of the final run!

On the topic of the resort - I see a market for another resort in the area in terms of sheer amount of skiers, but I also know that the current crew has been trying to drum up investors for damn near a decade to no avail. Seems like they need to find someone with enough "fuck you" money to drop the cash as a passion project. It needs a new lodge, and those chairs were vintage in the early 2000s let alone today...

Happened to bumble across that flick last night. Was good to see Chevy and looks like a cool place.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    The BBQ lunch at the bottom of a run is a nice touch too, but so is the crate of beer at the bottom of the final run!

On the topic of the resort - I see a market for another resort in the area in terms of sheer amount of skiers, but I also know that the current crew has been trying to drum up investors for damn near a decade to no avail. Seems like they need to find someone with enough "fuck you" money to drop the cash as a passion project. It needs a new lodge, and those chairs were vintage in the early 2000s let alone today...
    I been stopping in at the place since 2014 on my way into the interior or out of, pretty sure every year they say this is the last. In 2018 sounded like they almost had a little F U $. Im guessing C-19 was a huge curve ball at a terrible time. I hope they stay Kpow, a cool very affordable fun Cat day close to a major airport.

Fortress died a natural death due to a lot of factors, but the final nail in the coffin was changing weather.

I bought my first adult season pass there waaay back in ‘78, and later we watched as the former amazing snowfalls got less and less and the winds (hard to believe) got worse and chinook melt/freeze events more common. It’s like the dividing line of good versus evil weather systems moved just a few kms to the east.

The final time I skied The Fort it was so crappy we left at 10 a.m. and went and did groomers at Nakiska.

EE is right, these dubious claims that Fortress will ever reopen are bogus. It’s like an unfunny version of the Parrot sketch in Monty Python or the movie Weekend at Bernie’s. (Yeah I’m old.)

Jumbo Resort will be successfully welcoming skiers before Fortress does again. (Yes, I know.)

"New school" era at Fortress once the Canadian triple was installed.

Eldereldo with the cowboy hat, Hexcel skis, Burt bindings and Hanson boots.

Name:	452E92B3775D4E31.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	401297
    Last edited by Eldo; 01-15-2022 at 07:10 PM.

that looks sick. scenery, soft bump lines, close to town… i never had the pleasure to go but it smells like mismanagement from here.

did you see tgr’s indy ski film? a manager at one of those ponders on film what made his place different than the 100’s of others that closed and he basically said luck/nothing.

anyway i don’t want to feed the hype train if this is some sort of scam but it just looks cool. maybe i should just spend more time in the rockies to recalibrate or something.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

really well done little flick... brought back a lot of memories from the nineties... mostly of kickers just out of bounds on the south end of the backside... ha!

yeah i don't see it coming back given how it was (not) mothballed and what it would take at this point to meet environmental and infrastructural requirements to effectively start over.

but with that said, and accepting that this was never a "destination" area, it could have continued to be a sweet family resort for the calgary and environs based locals, with much better snow than nakiska...

oh well... pour a little out for a lost homie...

cause even if it wasn't the biggest/best/baddest...

it had soul.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I've had some really good days there. It'd be great to have a ski touring hut or lodge up there. A nice day trip through the mountains to the spray/chester lake area in that snow belt. A lot of options come into play with access to fortress area

Yeah, I hear you Grinch.
    however:
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Rest In Peace

The terrain is to flat, to short and the tenure is to small for anything feasible. Let’s not forget there is 1000’s of acres available of public land surrounding that people are skiing on. Makes zero sense to plow the road for a few people and take on the liability As the government to have a few newbs risking life and limb learning how to backcountry ski on unmanaged fgp.

Your childhood is over, so is the memory of how great it was when you are 4ft tall...

The movie is great but it’s just a movie the historian has no history at fortress!!! Dead horse is a dead horse that’s why f all is happening
    Sadly, I think dirt raises some good points too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Fortress died a natural death due to a lot of factors, but the final nail in the coffin was changing weather.

I bought my first adult season pass there waaay back in ‘78, and later we watched as the former amazing snowfalls got less and less and the winds (hard to believe) got worse and chinook melt/freeze events more common. It’s like the dividing line of good versus evil weather systems moved just a few kms to the east.

The final time I skied The Fort it was so crappy we left at 10 a.m. and went and did groomers at Nakiska.

EE is right, these dubious claims that Fortress will ever reopen are bogus. It’s like an unfunny version of the Parrot sketch in Monty Python or the movie Weekend at Bernie’s. (Yeah I’m old.)

Jumbo Resort will be successfully welcoming skiers before Fortress does again. (Yes, I know.)
    Jesus Eldo, we probably partied up there in the mid or late eighties? You ever do any speed skiing on the 4th chute?
    I first skied up there in '77 (first place I skied period), then started buying season passes in about '82 until '91 when I moved to Tod. Fortress was a great little hill, however once I got half decent I would buy a mid-week pass to Louise ( I was a UIC ski team member in good standing for many years). I loved skiing the far side, and that jump coming out of the gulch over there was big fun. Lot's of little gullies to ride on that hill.

My first snowboard day was there too. A burton outback with no edges. You had to hike from the top of the Canadian Chair over to one of the chutes to make turns in pow. I figured snowboarding was fun, but the equipment just sucked so bad (sorels as boots..).

Not to wish any ill will to the Kapow folks, but I really don't see the resort (as a lift skiing spot) firing up in my lifetime. Too many people turn right at the Nakiska turn-off. That, in my eyes was the real demise of that ski area. They were doing just fine until the Alberta Gov't decided to build a resort where it don't snow (Big Horn sheep winter there for a reason). Having said all that, I haven't skied there since '91 and have no idea how climate change has affected the skiing there. My (murky) memories tell me it was always a little snow pocket, but fuck that is 40 () years ago now....
    fuck
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I think anyone who grew up skiing in Alberta in the 80’s/90’s has the same fond nostalgic memories of the place. Some of my first memories of skiing powder are on the backside when it dumped a foot overnight during a slalom race and we had the morning to free ski while parent volunteers had to side slip the course. Started a life long pow obsession really.

I have fond memories of that place and I was well over 4ft tall when I first skied it. I was 5'7"... just like I am now. But I was from Ontario so maybe that's a factor.

I clearly remember trying to ski literally 1m of snow in about 2002 or so (overnight or 24hrs... don't remember) on my birthday in early April on some volkl explosivs I bought from CMH after someone at Lake Louise told me where could buy cheap fat skis.

I also toured up there for a couple of nights (camped in a tent at the base) many years back (2008 or so?) and loved that too.

It is probably nostalgia that makes me want the place to open at all, but the self-powered but maintained idea is probably the most realistic idea, and one I never considered or heard of.

I also have vivid memories of the big-as-your-head bacon double cheeseburger for a reasonable price in the main lodge.

If they could muster up enough $$ to give it a go, I'd probably buy a pass solely based on hope and memberberries and see where it goes from there.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Yeah, I hear you Grinch.
    however:

Sadly, I think dirt raises some good points too.

Jesus Eldo, we probably partied up there in the mid or late eighties? You ever do any speed skiing on the 4th chute?
    I first skied up there in '77 (first place I skied period), then started buying season passes in about '82 until '91 when I moved to Tod. Fortress was a great little hill, however once I got half decent I would buy a mid-week pass to Louise ( I was a UIC ski team member in good standing for many years). I loved skiing the far side, and that jump coming out of the gulch over there was big fun. Lot's of little gullies to ride on that hill.

My first snowboard day was there too. A burton outback with no edges. You had to hike from the top of the Canadian Chair over to one of the chutes to make turns in pow. I figured snowboarding was fun, but the equipment just sucked so bad (sorels as boots..).

Not to wish any ill will to the Kapow folks, but I really don't see the resort (as a lift skiing spot) firing up in my lifetime. Too many people turn right at the Nakiska turn-off. That, in my eyes was the real demise of that ski area. They were doing just fine until the Alberta Gov't decided to build a resort where it don't snow (Big Horn sheep winter there for a reason). Having said all that, I haven't skied there since '91 and have no idea how climate change has affected the skiing there. My (murky) memories tell me it was always a little snow pocket, but fuck that is 40 () years ago now....
    fuck
    Add 2 lifts . One to the actual peak above the big slide path and one down the backside towards the spray/chester. Some big lines above and beside that slide path. One pinner chute 3k +. Backside is a big bowl of all aspects. Those 2 additional lifts and itd be 10x better than the sunny disco. Snow totals arent far off the disco totals, especially upslopes early and late season

All this love for Fortress and nothing for poor Wintergreen.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    All this love for Fortress and nothing for poor Wintergreen.
    Cause it sucked?
    Full disclosure, I never skied there but why would you? (Real question)
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

The only Calgary area I didn't ski, I am sure it did suck. A couple of my old room mates were former Fortress staff, it sounded fun to work at but got small fast. I only skied it a few times and always felt like I was skiing somewhere strange, fun but strange.