Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    I don't think it's recommended to go inserts on the toe plate. Inserts for the heel is fine, but The alignment is a bit finnicky on the toe plate with inserts
    I don't see why would it be any more/less finnicky than with equally well/poorly marked and drilled wood screw holes. My main concern would be the hole diameter in those shoulders. From the engineering point of view, having the hole bigger than a bolt means the bolt now is not under a shear load, but under a bending one. On the other hand, it's the case with wood screws or M5 insert screws in a normal binding anyway - though with a considerably shorter leverage. I'd like to hear comments from CAST guys on the topic.

The reason I'm interested in this whole inserts+CAST thing is because I already have inserts installed, and want to pimp up one of my pairs with CAST setup. I suspect there's quite a handful of maggots in the similar situation here.
    oh shit here comes the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    well, fuck. BF is out of 20mm lowheads.
    Do you realize you can buy M5 stainless machine screws in any length (I think Americans love buying this kind of stuff in their McMaster-Carr thing) and hacksaw/file them down, including reducing the bolt head diameter?

I never bought a single pre-made M5 binding screw, and I have all my skis on inserts (turntable P15s/P18s, sliding heel P14s, guardians, kingpins).

i know it says on CAST's FAQ page that they don't recommend using inserts for the toe piece but if I am mounting with a jig and drill press, do you see any reason not to?
    I must be dumb, can't find where it says that - could you please screenshot?

Quote Originally Posted by duboix View Post
    Do you realize you can buy M5 stainless machine screws in any length (I think Americans love buying this kind of stuff in their McMaster-Carr thing) and hacksaw/file them down, including reducing the bolt head diameter?

I never bought a single pre-made M5 binding screw, and I have all my skis on inserts (turntable P15s/P18s, sliding heel P14s, guardians, kingpins).
    Fair point. You know us Americans, all about convenience.
    I must be dumb, can't find where it says that - could you please screenshot?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.53.07 PM.png
Views: 598
Size:  33.4 KB
    swing your fucking sword.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.53.07 PM.png
Views: 598
Size:  33.4 KB
    Right, so their main concern is misalignment. I guess it's another American thing, so that a customer with a slightly out of whack inserts (which still allow to muscle in a standard toe piece once and forget about it for a while) doesn't sue them with "You said old holes are all good but I find it hard to slide my toe in there!" thing

Right, so their main concern is misalignment. I guess it's another American thing, so that a customer with a slightly out of whack inserts (which still allow to muscle in a standard toe piece once and forget about it for a while) doesn't sue them with "You said old holes are all good but I find it hard to slide my toe in there!" thing
    I may try it, on a 2x4 first of course. But seriously, using a jig, an alpine center punch, and a drill press, I'm fairly confident it can be done.

I've mounted quite a few CAST sets with inserts and there's no problem. Yes the alignment needs to be good but it does with a regular mount otherwise the toe bases won't release. IIRC Lars said they use inserts on their own skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've mounted quite a few CAST sets with inserts and there's no problem. Yes the alignment needs to be good but it does with a regular mount otherwise the toe bases won't release. IIRC Lars said they use inserts on their own skis.
    TBH there's no reason to NOT use inserts on ANY mount. Only a few extra bucks giving you HUGE quiver cost and luggage size/weight benefits, and there's literally no drawbacks. Even a screw hold itself is better with inserts compared to standard binding screws.

For those who haven’t pre-ordered yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, fuck. BF is out of 20mm lowheads.
    You need 18mm for the rear heel holes. The 20mm protrude ~7mm, which is too much.
    I've detailed my insert/CAST experience here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...25#post5900825
    Having a good jig is important.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	387333
    Currently running two pivot conversions on multiple skis with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    You need 18mm for the rear heel holes. The 20mm protrude ~7mm, which is too much.
    I've detailed my insert/CAST experience here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...25#post5900825
    Having a good jig is important.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	387333
    Currently running two pivot conversions on multiple skis with no issues.
    Good to know. Thanks. Now I begin my search for a this metal jig you speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

TBH there's no reason to NOT use inserts on ANY mount. Only a few extra bucks giving you HUGE quiver cost and luggage size/weight benefits, and there's literally no drawbacks. Even a screw hold itself is better with inserts compared to standard binding screws.
    As a second hand ski purchaser and reseller, I don’t like them. Because they are larger diameter than a screw, they limit remount options. Some people have bad luck installing them and they aren’t sunk deep enough, or they’re slightly off center or tilted, or when you’re removing bindings they seize on the machine screw and spin out, any of which can be a huge pain in the ass. If you’re left with no choice but to remove the inserts it leaves huge holes in the skis, and even further reduces options for subsequent mounts.

I agree that there are a lot of benefits to having inserts, especially if you are good at installing them, and especially if you don’t intend on reselling to someone with different bindings or a different BSL. To say there’s no reason not to install inserts is going out on a limb. They have pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    I agree that there are a lot of benefits to having inserts, especially if you are good at installing them, and especially if you don’t intend on reselling to someone with different bindings or a different BSL. To say there’s no reason not to install inserts is going out on a limb. They have pros and cons.
    You are right, good point. I guess I'm that type - a hoarder, who's all right at mounting his own skis, and never sells them. Admitting a problem is a first step...

so here is my plan: i'm going CAST with heel and toe inserts across three pairs of skis. widths are 104, 118, and 128 so i'll be using three different brake assemblies (i know i could skip the heel inserts since each brake assembly will stay on its respective ski but whatever). i'll be doing this all with 1 set of pivot heels and swapping the dildo between brake assemblies. how big of a PITA will this be?

so here is my plan: i'm going CAST with heel and toe inserts across three pairs of skis. widths are 104, 118, and 128 so i'll be using three different brake assemblies (i know i could skip the heel inserts since each brake assembly will stay on its respective ski but whatever). i'll be doing this all with 1 set of pivot heels and swapping the dildo between brake assemblies. how big of a PITA will this be?
    Personally, that would result in me being too lazy to swap them around and just skiing the Bibbys every day, but YMMV.

What's the 128 ski in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Personally, that would result in me being too lazy to swap them around and just skiing the Bibbys every day, but YMMV.

What's the 128 ski in this scenario?
    The Protests I may or may not have just purchased.

I'd be concerned about the brake switching, but that's probably mostly because I'm used to Solomons and tyrolias. That and I figured out quickly that unscrewing and setting up my bindings for each ski basically meant I used one ski for a while and swapped only a few times/season.

From the mount your own skis thread:

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Plastic surgeon at work had to cut a guys finger off. I asked why he didn’t just re-snap the binding. Patient came in w ski attached to hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    No, finger was dead already. ER doc unsnapped it but it was to late
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hard to find a veteran tech who hasn't had this experience. We no longer offer to swap brakes on Pivots, either buy the whole brake assembly or DYI.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'd be concerned about the brake switching, but that's probably mostly because I'm used to Solomons and tyrolias. That and I figured out quickly that unscrewing and setting up my bindings for each ski basically meant I used one ski for a while and swapped only a few times/season.

From the mount your own skis thread:
    To be clear, I won’t be switching the brake arms but rather the whole assembly.

I would just buy extra heels at that point.

Feels like a huge pain in the ass to take apart bindings every time you want to switch them. Switching whole bindings is already a little bit of a pfaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I would just buy extra heels at that point.

Feels like a huge pain in the ass to take apart bindings every time you want to switch them. Switching whole bindings is already a little bit of a pfaff.
    Do you know of anywhere that I can buy just heels?

Do you know of anywhere that I can buy just heels?
    You are making this way harder than 8 needs to be and getting the tech toes to work on 3 different skis with inserts I presume mounted by you will lead to a shitshow .whi am I to tell you no? Probably should start ur own thread to let us watch the crash and burn.

Mount one ski cast . The one that you will ski the most on.

Buy the second ski kit from cast and a used set of heels. If you can't find used set of heels buy some 12s or 14s cause they're the cheapest and look for a px race metal toe for ur second set of pedestals

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    You are making this way harder than 8 needs to be and getting the tech toes to work on 3 different skis with inserts I presume mounted by you will lead to a shitshow .whi am I to tell you no? Probably should start ur own thread to let us watch the crash and burn.

Buy the second ski kit from cast and a used set of heels. If you can't find used set of heels buy some 12s or 14s cause they're the cheapest and look for a px race metal toe for ur second set of pedestals

well now i have to do it.

Leave the inserts alone 115 brakes all u need cause you will never need a 128 ski in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

I'm with this guy. And swapping brake assemblies frequently will inevitably lead you to stripping the threads on the dildo as its a bit of a PITA to line them up. Buy a second ski kit and start scouring the local second hand stores for old pivots.

Not to mention u might get look'd... been there done that had to cut it off with a grinder lol