Page 63 of 97 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2405

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Fi also uses US Cellular. They have coverage in some weird places, which came as a pleasant surprise in Maine and neighboring parts of New Brunswick.
    The fact that it works really well on wifi also is a big plus, giving "coverage" in weird places.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The fact that it works really well on wifi also is a big plus, giving "coverage" in weird places.
    Yes. Wifi calling is the only way I can make calls on Fi from inside my house -- otherwise, no coverage.

Also, FWIW, wifi calling on Fi yields very low cost-per-minute international calls. When we were in Italy a couple years ago and had luggage issues with the airline, I spent a lot of time on wifi calling back to the US customer service line for the airline. Cost was $0.01 per minute over wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm going to switch to Xfinity mobile to save money and get Verizon network coverage, but I am definitely going to miss Fi wifi calling. Sure, wifi calling is available through basically any carrier, but it's just so seemless on Fi.

Just got told xfinity can’t bring over my brand new att i7, but they can bring the old i6. WTF?

So my i6 is still working fine. So for the second line I guess I might do the budget android which is the Moto 7.
    Seems to have good reviews anyone have one?

Anyone wanna buy a few months old 32 gif i7 from Att but unlocked?
    Last edited by Rideski; 08-31-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Well fuck it. Worth a couple hundred to not fight with ATT anymore about the lack of service in my hood where it used to be four bars. Everyone within a mile of me is on WiFi or a booster according to ATT themselves, yet there’s no problem. Right.
    So didn’t want to dump a ton on my first android forray, should be interesting.
    I thought it was apple that was leading the charge on um charging.
    15 minutes and charged to 80% what?
    Supposed to last three days, we’ll see.
    I was kind of enjoying the smaller size on the i7 (non plus) for pocket stashing when skiing vs my i6 plus, this is the larger size but sure makes screen easier to see. Supposed to have a decent camera,
    Water resistant.
    Got good reviews on CNET and a few other places for a budget Android.
    Wish me luck. And oh yeah, FUCK YOU att.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4AF6A2C-D58A-42FC-876D-72853E8E9329.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	292868

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Just got told xfinity can’t bring over my brand new att i7, but they can bring the old i6. WTF?

So my i6 is still working fine. So for the second line I guess I might do the budget android which is the Moto 7.
    Seems to have good reviews anyone have one?

Anyone wanna buy a few months old 32 gif i7 from Att but unlocked?
    PM sent

My Samsung was tragically mauled so I got a Pixel 3XL on the recs here and I really like it. Fast as shit, feels more customizable without all the bloat and bullshit and just plain clean. Battery, however, seems behind Samsung in duration.

I'm travelling to Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. I have an unlocked GSM phone. Should I get a google fi SIM or wait until I get there and buy a local prepaid SIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I'm travelling to Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. I have an unlocked GSM phone. Should I get a google fi SIM or wait until I get there and buy a local prepaid SIM?
    Unless it's a Fi compatible phone, ymmv.

If your phone can do wifi calling, why get on a network at all? If you need coverage, I always just spend the $10/day with Verizon and it's just like I'm in the states. An expensive option, but it works well.

Update. I sent back the Moto G7 which had a lovely screen but felt like it would break the first time I dropped it (even in a case). Maybe it was just an individually bad phone because nothing worked well but luckily I was able to return it.

Got the Pixel 3a and I love it! Great size, clear screen, awesome camera and runs super smoothly.

3+ years on Google Fi and still loving the excellent service and $30/month bill.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    Update. I sent back the Moto G7 which had a lovely screen but felt like it would break the first time I dropped it (even in a case). Maybe it was just an individually bad phone because nothing worked well but luckily I was able to return it.

Got the Pixel 3a and I love it! Great size, clear screen, awesome camera and runs super smoothly.

3+ years on Google Fi and still loving the excellent service and $30/month bill.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    My thoughts on the 3a: I migrated from a Moto X⁴ so the 3a didn't have a wow factor for me. As in "Wow! This phone is so amazing compared to my last one!" The differences are subjectively subtle, both good and bad. Battery life seems a smidge better. The screen is a touch better. The major difference is the really good speakers on the 3a. I like that they put the headphone jack on the top of the phone now if only the would move the USB port to the top as well. The fingerprint reader is a mixed bag. It has taken some getting used to it being on the back. At least I don't keep mistaking it for a home button. The Fi (Android One) version of the X⁴ did not let one make the fingerprint reader into a home button (!!!!!). I prefer a front print reader (thumb). The rear reader (index finger) is ok-ish. Except that I can't figure out how to make it into a lock button. Which is annoying because unlock/lock is a fidget toy for me. I need my fidget toys. The X⁴ reader was perfect for that. Not having an SD slot is a miss, however,no beginning to think collecting stuff on the phone is a bad habit. Other than that, it just works.

Unless it's a Fi compatible phone, ymmv.
    My phone is a Samsung S9 and I think it is FI compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    If your phone can do wifi calling, why get on a network at all? If you need coverage, I always just spend the $10/day with Verizon and it's just like I'm in the states. An expensive option, but it works well.
    I didn't think about wifi calling. My phone can do it. Interesting idea.

My phone is a Samsung S9 and I think it is FI compatible.

I didn't think about wifi calling. My phone can do it. Interesting idea.
    What's your current provider?

Can't pretty much ANY Android phone do wifi calls at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yes, but does the carrier also do WiFi calling, that is, does it automatically use wifi if available? Or do you have to use a different app? Most carriers fuck you long time and make sure your call is always as expensive as possible.

Most new models do- if the carrier supports it also. Some also need an app if the carrier does not have it as part of their standard offering (Project Fi was one of the first that prioritized using wifi calling over hitting the closest tower from a carrier.) Verizon and Sprint have their older CDMA calling that is not wifi calling. There also is in addition to Wifi calling the Voice over LTE- some call it HD Voice using the 4G data to do the voice calling. So in some areas that they do not have 4G signal (so cellular data not wifi) they fall back to the older CDMA voice calling in rural areas without the 4G data coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Most new models do- if the carrier supports it also. Some also need an app if the carrier does not have it as part of their standard offering (Project Fi was one of the first that prioritized using wifi calling over hitting the closest tower from a carrier.) Verizon and Sprint have their older CDMA calling that is not wifi calling. There also is in addition to Wifi calling the Voice over LTE- some call it HD Voice using the 4G data to do the voice calling. So in some areas that they do not have 4G signal (so cellular data not wifi) they fall back to the older CDMA voice calling in rural areas without the 4G data coverage.
    Verizon removed the ability to prefer wifi over cellular for anything BUT while roaming. In the USA on Verizon you NEVER ROAM. If it picks up even the weakest cell signal it will force the call over cellular and it typically sucks. choppy call, dropped, etc. You used to be able to do this, but verizon changed it in some update. I've found that putting the phone in airplane mode and turning wifi back on will force the phone to do ONLY wifi calling/texting. I work and live in areas with crap cell service. This option changed it for me. Now texts are fast and calls are clear at home/work.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Verizon removed the ability to prefer wifi over cellular for anything BUT while roaming. In the USA on Verizon you NEVER ROAM. If it picks up even the weakest cell signal it will force the call over cellular and it typically sucks. choppy call, dropped, etc. You used to be able to do this, but verizon changed it in some update. I've found that putting the phone in airplane mode and turning wifi back on will force the phone to do ONLY wifi calling/texting. I work and live in areas with crap cell service. This option changed it for me. Now texts are fast and calls are clear at home/work.
    Nothing wrong with that. However, it does blur the line between phone and tablet. I think a lot of us, especially me, are really using our phones as tablets. Which keeps me wishing that instead of smartphones, they just put better radios in flip phones so they could be hotspots. I miss my old Moto Razr.

Yeah - I guess I just assumed that everyone used an app to make phone calls any more.

Yeah - I guess I just assumed that everyone used an app to make phone calls any more.
    I just wish everyone used the same app. I have to go into a handful of different apps to reach everyone.

I just wish everyone used the same app. I have to go into a handful of different apps to reach everyone.
    Hmm... I just use Hangouts and dial people like a regular phone. Is that not possible from other apps?

Hmm... I just use Hangouts and dial people like a regular phone. Is that not possible from other apps?
    Who talks? Some people use Hangouts, some people use WhatsApp, some people use ol fashioned sms. I don't do Facebook, there's that whole messenger crowd. And there's a ton of other apps, above list barely scratches the surface. Since I am on Fi I use Hangouts for calls and sms.

Key-rist! Are you guys talking about your Verizon-mangled phones with all of this horseshit? With a Pixel the default is wifi calling if you're connected locally and then cell if needed (no difference really whether you're a Fi customer or Verizon). If you're in Yurp with a Pixel and worried about the cost of calling back to the states or locally in Yurp either pay $10/day or just shut cell service off, find a nice wifi signal and have at it. Verizon won't/can't block it. Installed dialer works great or use Duo for crystal clear voice.

Who talks? Some people use Hangouts, some people use WhatsApp, some people use ol fashioned sms. I don't do Facebook, there's that whole messenger crowd. And there's a ton of other apps, above list barely scratches the surface. Since I am on Fi I use Hangouts for calls and sms.
    Isn't Duo the new Hangouts?