Page 150 of 175 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Are those the 11s in the background?
    Yup

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

All day window
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	278438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	278439
    Direct lookin burly

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	278440
    It goes skiers left around trees this year

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	278441
    All about the spring panels

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	278442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	278443

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good times at Rose yesterday with a can't miss combo of fun spring skiing with a good corn session early on, warm weather, free beer, and a band that could cover everything from Pink Floyd to The Cure.

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	278461
    Outlaw with rippable corn right down to the parking lot first thing in the morning.

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	278462
    As the snow started to slush up the Chutes had some fun turns. Coverage is amazing for this time of year. Bummer they're shutting down in two weeks.

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	939.1 KB 
ID:	278463
    Want to stoke your pass holders?? Give them all you can drink free beer that lasted all day. Tons of different micro beer choices to be sampled. My fav, Battle Born Beer, which you're looking through here.

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	278466
    The beers were flowing, the band was playing, and the party was on. Good times.

Cover of Dancing Days.

While I'm bummed Rose is choosing to shut down in two weeks, I get it. Not making any money, staffing is tough this time of year etc. It just seems like such a waste closing with 8-10 ft of snow on the ground. But I do appreciate the party Rose threw and some other ski areas could take note.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 04-14-2019 at 02:24 PM.

While route #4 isn't the best news, it doesn't look like it would involve anything on the west side (which is great news).

Looks like it would come up over GS Bowl to a station between the patrol shack and the top of KT.

This is what I've beean hearing for awhile, and it made me kinda sad when I was up there last Sunday and it was already a crowded junk show up there with only one lift dumping off dweebs.
    Still waiting...

I think the only reason they want the gondy is so they can advertise a big project.

The good side is that people will get on it and go away from Squaw for awhile.

The bad side is that people will ride it to Squaw from Alpine.

A high speed Red Dog would be a way better improvement. For awhile I heard this new alignment might involve moving and upgrading Red Dog, but I’m guessing they bailed on that since it would actually improve the skiing experience.
    Still waiting...

Drove up to Donner Lake Wed. for the first time since I crashed in February. Big cornice at the top of the poop chute on Donner summit. Driving back down to Sacramento yesterday that cornice was at the bottom of the chute, along with a lot of other debris. Sobering. I didn't see any skis or body parts sticking out.;

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Good times at Rose yesterday with a can't miss combo of fun spring skiing with a good corn session early on, warm weather, free beer, and a band that could cover everything from Pink Floyd to The Cure.

Want to stoke your pass holders?? Give them all you can drink free beer that lasted all day. Tons of different micro beer choices to be sampled.

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	278466
    The beers were flowing, the band was playing, and the party was on. Good times.

While I'm bummed Rose is choosing to shut down in two weeks, I get it. Not making any money, staffing is tough this time of year etc. It just seems like such a waste closing with 8-10 ft of snow on the ground. But I do appreciate the party Rose threw and some other ski areas could take note.
    Damn nice job on the doing the party right with the local breweries. I see fifty fifty hiding in the corner, who else is to the right?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Rumor is Alpine will be closing the skiers right side (Roundhouse, Lakeview, Scott, sherwood, ect.) soon to start building the new hot wheels lift...

Heard from a less than reliable source.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Rumor is Alpine will be closing the skiers right side (Roundhouse, Lakeview, Scott, sherwood, ect.) soon to start building the new hot wheels lift...

Heard from a less than reliable source.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk
    That doesn’t even make sense though... towers are already there, they’re just extending it. So they’re going to dig down 10+ feet to pour concrete on frozen ground when you probably shouldn’t poor concrete? (Curious for NickyB’s take on this, maybe I’m wrong).

I mean. We know they will close Alpine on the early side and send everyone to squaw, as per usual.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Damn nice job on the doing the party right with the local breweries. I see fifty fifty hiding in the corner, who else is to the right?
    From what I remember it was Great Basin, Imbib, Common Cider Co, 10 Torr Distilling & Brewing, Fifty Fifty, Battle Born, Revision Brewing Co, Alibi Ale Works, Shoe Tree and a couple more that I didn't get stickers from.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That doesn’t even make sense though... towers are already there, they’re just extending it. So they’re going to dig down 10+ feet to pour concrete on frozen ground when you probably shouldn’t poor concrete? (Curious for NickyB’s take on this, maybe I’m wrong).

I mean. We know they will close Alpine on the early side and send everyone to squaw, as per usual.
    Those towers and foundations aren’t sufficient for the new lift (cross arms absolutely aren’t wide enough for the chair width increase). So towers need to be removed. Even if you hoped to reuse towers, you have to start by pull testing all towers to 110% new load, and if they don’t pass you either get to scramble to engineer a way to add to the foundation, or replace the whole thing. Not something you want to do in June, when you’re supposed to be done in November.

Have they not announced that Alpine is closing next weekend? As far as I know it’s closing for the season next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Have they not announced that Alpine is closing next weekend? As far as I know it’s closing for the season next weekend.
    Just kidding, website for the win.

Name:	Image1555272656.084036.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	278492

Got an early start due to higher temps last night but the winds locked things up longer than expected today, but only waited about 50 minutes. Both sides of the hill corned up, some pics from today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely stupid they are replacing Hotwheels before replacing Red Dog. Can't imagine any actual construction will be going on while operations still going on part of the mtn. Seems partially a bit of a money hold excuse

I was just thinking of the new hot wheels a couple weeks ago when it and round house were the only things running due to wind. I think the new ridgetop placement will get shut down whenever summit does due to wind and there will only be round house available which will be a bummer
    Last edited by mcski; 04-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Those towers and foundations aren’t sufficient for the new lift (cross arms absolutely aren’t wide enough for the chair width increase). So towers need to be removed. Even if you hoped to reuse towers, you have to start by pull testing all towers to 110% new load, and if they don’t pass you either get to scramble to engineer a way to add to the foundation, or replace the whole thing. Not something you want to do in June, when you’re supposed to be done in November.
    Ah, okay, figured you would know. So how about ground temp and pouring the foundation for the poles? Does it need to warm up first or doesn't really matter? I know you generally don't want to pour a house foundation during colder months so figured it would be the same. Although I guess just removing the old towers will take some time and it will be warm by the time they're ready for the new ones.

Disagree with you Mike - I'd much rather ride Red Dog as it is than Hot Wheels. I mean, yeah, they should really replace both but one is better than nothing. I have to admit, overall, since Andy Wirth got the boot (oh, I mean "stepped down") and KSL became part of Alterra, they seem to have their shit together finally. I've been fairly impressed with ops overall this season, especially with all of the big storms. Seemed like Solitude ran a lot more often than the past several years. The hand-wringing over carpool parking turned out to be much ado about nothing, really. Sucks Alpine will close early but hard to get too upset when Squaw (and Mammoth) will be open months longer than everyone else.

(having said all that, fuck the village proposal, still)
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 04-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.

I wouldn't go so far as saying they got their shit together but things are relatively better than the low, low bar set by Wirthless
    Last edited by mcski; 04-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.

The very reliable source I talked to at Alpine said that they needed to not just dig out the towers, they need to plow away a whole bunch of snow to allow access for construction equipment to get in there in May. They are completely removing the old Hot Wheels, possibly to be repurposed elsewhere. Initially they were talking about closing that side of the mountain early April, so the 21st is a bit better.

As to the new Hot Wheels lift being more susceptible to wind, that will only affect the upper section. The lower section will be able to run independently on windy day. A four minute ride on storm days will be much better than a 13 minute ride.

The post above indicates the last weekend for Alpine is May 19th. BA's report today indicated weekends until the 27th. Hope thats correct as I need to catch up on skiing since I have been out since March 17th with a busted shoulder.

Either way, far better than Rose's early close date...skipping that pass next year. Fuckers. I need to learn to deal with skiing Squaw late season.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Well, concrete won’t start for a while. They may want to remove towers while there’s snow. You can just drop em, and drag them out (unless they want to use/sell it like G2A says they might.) but really by the time they start pouring, it won’t be super cold, exposed ground may not be too frozen, but they would need to blanket the concrete after pouring. Full disclosure, I do build ski lifts, but I’m not involved with this project.

Concreting in Tahoe in April is not a problem. Montana in January is another story...
    But then you aren't supposed to dig a hole until May 1st...
    Last edited by tony3; 04-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony3 View Post
    Concreting in Tahoe in April is not a problem. Montana in January is another story...
    Good to know... I should start clearing snow then for the footings for my new side deck. Figured I would just have to wait until late May or so.

On that note, anyone have any contractor friends who might be interested in a deck project in Tahoe Donner sooner than later?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I need a deck rebuild too. If I get any names soon I'll pass em along

Pretty sure red dog is on hold until gondola plan is finalized, as gondola placement might affect red dog placement. Looks like option 4 starts right where red dog base is currently.
    As to hot wheels running in winds, that ridge is way more protected than where summit is, so I would think it could run quite a bit when summit is closed, though probably not as protected as roundhouse. I also think having a lift there might make it more feasible for sherwood to run when it's windy, as it wouldn't be an isolated lift when scott and lakeview can't run. But not sure about winds only shutting down access to the top and still allowing the lower part to run, that would require a totally separate cable and some sort of complex midstation to join the top and bottom.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

And sick pic with the water, TahoeBC
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Completely stupid they are replacing Hotwheels before replacing Red Dog. Can't imagine any actual construction will be going on while operations still going on part of the mtn. Seems partially a bit of a money hold excuse

I was just thinking of the new hot wheels a couple weeks ago when it and round house were the only things running due to wind. I think the new ridgetop placement will get shut down whenever summit does due to wind and there will only be round house available which will be a bummer
    I don’t know AM well, and the winds during storms, but the new hot wheels top station is a lot lower than Summit, and in a tree line. Wouldn’t that offer a lot more protection that summit ridge off Ward?

Am considering an IKON to extend our season. Kind of bummed about the AM closure. Wanted to bring my son there. I did not expect more than Summit running, but if you can’t ski to the right past ABC, it kind of limits options for touring him around.

G2A website says weekend till May 27. Edit. That was what I read earlier. But now read 19th. And that math does not make sense.