Dalbello Frankenboot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frankenboot.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	142084

Skiing it tomorrow.

Wait. Does that fit in alpine bindings? Can't really tell on my phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Nope, the sole is unchanged.

Curious to see closer pictures of the tongue hinge. How does the Cochise booster strap compare in stiffness to the original Dalbello top buckle?

Nothing to see on the tongue hinge-its just jammed in there for the time being. I will tidy it up with a dremel after I have skied it but right now I want to make sure I can put the OG tongues in there if needed.

I haven't skied the boot with the Krypton tongues but I have with the Cochise top strap. While I didn't notice anything different in stiffness, just the ability to get the strap/buckle at the right tension compared to the non micro adjustable buckle of old made a big difference in comfort.

The boot has Krypton lower buckles, again for the micro adjust, a spoiler at the back for more forward lean, Paulu Wrap liners and of course the Krypton tongue.

Where did you buy the Krypton tongue? Did you have to mod anything to use the tongue.

Got it from someone on here at the end of last season.

I haven't modded it much yet, but after skiing/testing it I am gonna do a bit at the bottom so it fits in cleaner. Right now it flops about if the buckles are undone. I also put some boot fitting foam on the inside of the tongue right at the top as the boot has a more upright stance than a Krypton so the top of the tongue is angled out a little....if you get what I mean. The shim velcroed onto the back of the liner also helps keep the liner in contact with the top of the tongue, but not quite enough.

I did that top strap mod to my viruses I think two seasons ago? Loved it, but I really like what you did to extend the cuff up and out. Very nice- want to buy my Sherpas and swap everything over?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    I did that top strap mod to my viruses I think two seasons ago? Loved it, but I really like what you did to extend the cuff up and out. Very nice- want to buy my Sherpas and swap everything over?
    I think I saw your post and stole your idea with the top strap!

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I think I saw your post and stole your idea with the top strap!

Pfffffff... Stole? Nah, I think anybody who skied those top bails would immediately start to think of mods to make it suck less haha

Really like the other mods though, they would really round out the whole package for sure! Might want to think about adding the sherpa spoiler too, it'll give you some more forward lean and might help keep your shins in the retrofitted tongues a little better. For a few bucks it's worth a try!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

So is it just a stiffer virus? Krypton last?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

So I've played around with my set of these as well, albeit in a slightly different manner, but long story short, the tongues pop out easily for longer tours. Big improvement in forward range of motion, but the obvious problem is that snow gets in easily if I break trail.

Anyone got a somewhat durable solution for keeping moisture out besides duct taping a plastic bag in there?

Bobby Stokes and Todug27, you guys should probably discuss boots over a WBC growler, you're both buddies with Benny K and enjoy drinking beer (obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Bobby Stokes and Todug27, you guys should probably discuss boots over a WBC growler, you're both buddies with Benny K and enjoy drinking beer (obviously)
    Sober October pal! Are you back this winter?

So is it just a stiffer virus? Krypton last?
    Its still a virus last..... as its still a virus boot! They carpet flex a little stiffer though.

You guys get anywhere with this project? I've got a pair of Sherpa 5/5 that wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were stiffer. And I happen to have extra Kryp tongues.

My other thought would be to swap in the tongue from the 2/8. Difference is that the 5/5 is double hinged, while the 2/8 is a single hinge at the top. Anyone know where to get Sherpa tongues?

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    You guys get anywhere with this project? I've got a pair of Sherpa 5/5 that wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were stiffer. And I happen to have extra Kryp tongues.

My other thought would be to swap in the tongue from the 2/8. Difference is that the 5/5 is double hinged, while the 2/8 is a single hinge at the top. Anyone know where to get Sherpa tongues?

You could do it but it would completely negate the sweet hinged tongue. I personally really liked the specific improvements in the Sherpa and while it's not exactly a plug boot it gets the job done really well for such a cozy boot. I'd start by swapping out your top bail for a cochise or pinnacle 130 buckle/strap like the OP did or just add a powerstrap on top of what's already there for starters and see how you feel about it before you start doing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    You could do it but it would completely negate the sweet hinged tongue. I personally really liked the specific improvements in the Sherpa and while it's not exactly a plug boot it gets the job done really well for such a cozy boot. I'd start by swapping out your top bail for a cochise or pinnacle 130 buckle/strap like the OP did or just add a powerstrap on top of what's already there for starters and see how you feel about it before you start doing shit.
    That's fair. I'll mess with that. Does the Cochise buckle strap lock open for touring mode like the Dalbello?

Well it's basically just a buckle that has a strap instead of cables so yes.

Gave up on these and bought Vulcans.

Waaaaay better.