Page 13 of 167 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    anyone here feel like towing us up Red Sandstone Creek Rd in Vail to the Eisman hut? Obviously, we'd offer compensation.

had a ride all setup, but turns out the sled was stolen.
    Yeah, p4brains and I are down. Enough snow down low on that road?

So I went in to renew my sled registration today and the folks tell me that the sled was stolen. They make me leave it at the state parks office and tell me that the PD will be in touch shortly. PD calls and gets the info about the dude that sold it to me. Then tells me that I'm not going to see the sled again and probably won't ever see a penny of the more than $3K I have invested in it either. FML. [/blog]
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^^ View Post
    Yeah, p4brains and I are down. Enough snow down low on that road?
    should be.

but i will call piney valley ranch snowmo retals, who is based at the start of that road, to verify middle of this week.

and seriously thanks!

buying the waterskiing rope right now.
    yay for 2 day shipping, garunteed delivery by wednesday

do you guys want rope with the handles or just the rope?

they only have 3 of these ones I was going to get, but they are 75' long each
    so more than enough rope

they have another brand available as well if you wanted to have 4 ropes, each with their own handle

should be.

but i will call piney valley ranch snowmo retals, who is based at the start of that road, to verify middle of this week.

and seriously thanks!

buying the waterskiing rope right now.
    yay for 2 day shipping, garunteed delivery by wednesday
    Cool. Yeah, we're down and have a whole lotta storage/cargo room on the Bearcat. I also have an old beater expedition pulk sled if you guys need to use it to haul up even more gear. You can fit 4-5 packs, sleeping bags, pillows, beer, etc. pretty easily.

Cruiser, that sucks big time. Wow.

do you guys want rope with the handles or just the rope?

they only have 3 of these ones I was going to get, but they are 75' long each
    so more than enough rope

they have another brand available as well if you wanted to have 4 ropes, each with their own handle

Ropes with the handles. 75' is way long, but we can just trim it.

doubt we'll want the pulk sled, as we've had some bad experiences with those on this road in the past, but thanks tho

really we've found the best way is to just carry the pack on your back
    keeps things a bit more mobile and adaptable

Cruiser, that sucks big time. Wow.
    Yup, sucks to be me today. Thanx for the ride though D! TGR to the rescue.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Ropes with the handles. 75' is way long, but we can just trim it.
    10-4 on the handles

im assuming 4 is enough?

75 and 60 is all the come in

edit
    sort of at the mercy of what amazon.com has in stock since I called around to dicks, walmart, west marine, and target, and no one had any

doubt we'll want the pulk sled, as we've had some bad experiences with those on this road in the past, but thanks tho

really we've found the best way is to just carry the pack on your back
    keeps things a bit more mobile and adaptable
    Yeah, the pulk sled is kind of a pain in the ass. Really only good on flats and even terrain. I only use it for towing behind the snowmobile now (winter camping trips, etc.) and that thing gets abused behind the sled. Gets tossed all around, flips and shit, but ables us to carry a whole lotta stuff.

10-4 on the handles

im assuming 4 is enough?

Yeah, no more than 4. 60 is still long, but we'll cut it down or double it up. No problem there. PM Andrew and myself all the details for Sat. AM and we'll see you up at the TH.

pm sent!

Quote Originally Posted by billcallen View Post
    So backcountry if this sled is the 144 do you think i should jump on it with only 700 miles would it work much for tandem and breaking trail?

Edit: did a little more reading think track length on the 570 was a stock 15 x 136 x 1.4
    Bill, did a bit of searching, they came in both 136 1.4 for a x-over sled & 144 deep lug for a mtn sled.

If it's a 136, gonna agree with Iain, no go. If it's a 144, that's pretty doable.

As to brand and motor, You doo 800 guys just don't get it. You can say they all blow up, but the fact is there are MAJOR exceptions to that statement (and a doo motor is even one of them!) There are a few motors on the market that are distinctly more reliable than the majority of the others, and a few that go the other way. As I said before, the liberty 7 is likely the most reliable motor on the snow, then the M8, then the e-tec 600 (yeah, a doo!), the older doo 700 & 800, then the M7, poo 600, then about every other motor out there, and at the bottom of the list & MOST likely to completely fuck itself when something does go wrong, the doo 800.

When you have a problem with most sleds, you lose a top end. In my 07 M1000 I went through 5 sets of pistons, they cost me about 140 each time (per pair) & about 1 hr of time swapping them out & honing the jugs. When a doo 8 goes down, 90% of the time it loses the bottom end, THIS GETS EXPENSIVE! This motor seems to do this at a rate of about 10:1 compared to every other current motor out there.

Last year at the shop I'm associated with, my guy had about 140 or so customers (just a guess of regulars), 75% minimum of those riders were cat guys, a few poos, a couple yammis & the remainder was doo. When you looked around the shop though, there were revs & xp's in there all the time & there were ALWAYS at least 4 or 5 doo motors pulled from the sleds waiting on bottom end work. All last year there was 1 M8 that went down, broke the crank (first one I've seen since 07, and it had 6k miles & had been totalled) and an M1000 that dropped a skirt into the bottom end. Like I said before I'm not brand loyal, but I feel it's my duty to attempt to explain to people why it's a good idea to stay away from these few motors that have chronic problems, it's just not worth it. The rev is a cool chassis, but get it with a 700 in it!

SO, yes they all blow, but it's a matter of HOW they blow & how much it costs.

Want a doo? get an e-tec & turbo it, now that's a sled! (the new 4 stroke looks like a badass too!!)

my PSA for the day.

So I just got into this, aquired an 89 arctic cat cougar 500 fan cooled, got it running, and it smokes, a lot. Not just a little, and it doesnt go away when it warms up. I know it sat for a while before I got to it, it has old oil and gas, any ideas how i might eliminate this smoke? Will running the old gas/oil through, and putting new stuff in do the trick?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I ended up buying an 07 apex mountain (162) for the motor & maintenance... she's a heavy biotch though. My friend and I both have them and its really nice for the maintenance aspect. For maintenance though its pretty much yearly oil changes, new hyfaxes and lube job. I have a friend who just picked up an 05 summit x 1000 (163) that I was actually going to buy, so we'll see how the reliability is. I just feel the reliability of the newer 4 strokes are hard to turn down.

YukonRider: Try draining the gas and running new gas + oil first. If its been sitting for a LONG time its probably got condensation and water in the gas. I'd recommend amsoil interceptor for oil (you can run almost 100:1). The smoke is most likely stagnant oil in the bottom of the crank. New plugs too and check if the jetting is too rich. If your new plugs are black and oily after riding then you're too rich (jetting).

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    So I went in to renew my sled registration today and the folks tell me that the sled was stolen. They make me leave it at the state parks office and tell me that the PD will be in touch shortly. PD calls and gets the info about the dude that sold it to me. Then tells me that I'm not going to see the sled again and probably won't ever see a penny of the more than $3K I have invested in it either. FML. [/blog]
    That is the WORST. So sorry mang. Maggots are everywhere, hopefully the shitbag shows up somewhere.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Brand spankin new.

Anyone riding in UT yet? Ive got a place in Sandy for the winter and am moving from CO this friday. Now that I see what Silverton got Im having second thoughts? Too bad it's not open yet.

2010 Dragon 800. Cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Heedlessly View Post
    Anyone riding in UT yet? Ive got a place in Sandy for the winter and am moving from CO this friday. Now that I see what Silverton got Im having second thoughts? Too bad it's not open yet.

2010 Dragon 800. Cant wait.
    Not really much ready around here except for road riding. Get in touch once you get here or once we get some more snow, I'm always looking for people to ride with.

YukonRider, might need to give the carb a good cleaning if it's been sitting for a while.

Yeah same here. Colder than Canada with the snow of Kansas around here. This last storm looked promising but....See you in UT

10-4 on the handles

im assuming 4 is enough?

edit
    sort of at the mercy of what amazon.com has in stock since I called around to dicks, walmart, west marine, and target, and no one had any
    You don't really need handles. Take a 100 ft. rope, tie the middle to the sled with two 50ft. tails. Just use your poles for handles. Either tie loops or just wrap the rope over itself on the pole, if your not going a long way.

If your towing a long way, like 10 miles, using an MTB tube with a munter hitch will save your arms and lower back.

Trigger=pulled on the Rev.

I realize there is a strong possibility of you all pointing, laughing and saying "I told you so" later in the year.

For now...stoked. (and a bit scared)

Looking at possibly picking up a 03.5' Cat 900 1m 159 track. Any opinions? Looks like a pretty solid sled, although the chassis is a bit dated. Can this be fixed with a riser bar/seat? I'm a total snowmobile jong, but am mechanically inclined, just never worked on a sled before. Rebuilt many Supra motors back in the day .
    Last edited by JTrue; 12-10-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post

I realize there is a strong possibility of you all pointing, laughing and saying "I told you so" later in the year.
    There's also the possibility that you have many great ski days you never could have accomplished otherwise, just like bizillions of others out there with that machine.

Be ready for that outcome too..........just in case
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    There's also the possibility that you have many great ski days you never could have accomplished otherwise, just like bizillions of others out there with that machine.

Be ready for that outcome too..........just in case
    All the pointing and laughing was thanks to a RMK, not a rev.