John Day River, OR

Conservation success means new access to John Day River

CONDON — At the heart of the John Day Wild and Scenic River corridor, Western Rivers Conservancy and the Bureau of Land Management have created new overland recreational access to 78,000 acres of public lands in a conservation project that will benefit fish, wildlife, recreationists and the communities of Oregon’s John Day River.

Western Rivers Conservancy completed on Aug. 20 the conveyance of two ranches to the BLM, which will now manage all 11,154 acres of the properties as public open space. This enables hunters, anglers, boaters, hikers and other recreationists to explore a slice of Oregon that was formerly inaccessible without trespassing or without a boat. Of these lands, 2,000 acres of existing public lands were completely cut off to the public by private property.

“This is a landmark achievement for the John Day River and recreationists alike,” said Sue Doroff, president of Western Rivers Conservancy. “People can now experience a spectacular stretch of one of the West’s great wild and scenic river corridors. At the same time, they can take pride in knowing that the lands they’re exploring are protected for fish and wildlife — animals they will very likely see while visiting this special place.”

The John Day River is home to the healthiest run of wild summer steelhead in the Columbia River Basin and to one of the basin’s most important runs of wild Chinook salmon. It also flows through the heart of bighorn sheep country, supporting over 600 head, the largest herd in Oregon.

(to read more follow link above)
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

??

Is this a good thing? how did they get the Ranches -Bundy

Now that they got the water rights how long before the first housing track goes in?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    ??

Is this a good thing? how did they get the Ranches -Bundy

Now that they got the water rights how long before the first housing track goes in?
    I guess only time will tell if things go sideways but the agency has a mission statement the purports to be one of preserving habitat.

Not sure what you mean by "Bundy." Unless your alluding to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge incident. I do not believe Bundy or any of those people involved owned land in Oregon.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I was alluding to how they got the bundy Ranch outside Las Vegas
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Please keep the idiotic political bullshit to where it belongs.

The Nature Conservatory doesn't have the Bundy Ranch. They don't have any projects close to Bunkerville on Hwy 15 as far as I can tell. That said, I agree with Bob - let's keep this about Fishing please.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Please keep the idiotic political bullshit to where it belongs.
    Sorry Bob.

Was not being political. Just wondering how that much land went back to the BLM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The Bundy butt bunch still owns their massive, sprawling, 140 acre cattle empire.

That’s cool KQ. If I lived closer I’d definitely go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post

That’s cool KQ. If I lived closer I’d definitely go check it out.
    Stunning, isn't it? Let's hope this turns out to be a good thing for all involved.

I have friends that float the John Day River every year, I am way over due to join them.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I have friends that float the John Day River every year, I am way over due to join them.
    yes, that one is on my list too. Problem is it's a long damned way from where I live, and unpredictable seasonal flows make it difficult to plan very far in advance from what I can tell. The obvious answer is to retire to create more flexibility but the household vote on that matter is currently deadlocked.