Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: portland

portland

my roomate is most likely moving to portland in a few weeks for a promotion, and i told him i would ask if anybody here has advice on decent places to live or places to avoid living.

basically, he is looking for something in a decent, fun part of town that isn't ungodly expensive, and near some activities for a 20 something outdoors enthusiast.

any tips would be helpful

(we didn't ask these questions before we moved to SLC and ended up living in a shithole apt. complex around the corner from the jail)

thanks

I think close in on the NE (Alberta, etc) or SE (Belmont, Hawthorne, Division, etc) sides would be good. Selwood (SE) is cool. NoPo can be dodgy in some areas but it's gotten a lot better in recent years...so, check that out. NW area still has some cheap pads available last I checked (year or so ago). Where's this person working? If you get too far out on the SE side it becomes methville USA IMO. I saw a pad in China Town that looked ok a while back. I guess it depends on what your friend is up for. Lots of streetpeople in Chinatown.

Eastside is slightly closer to the mountain....westside closer to the beach, obviously. Guess it depends on what sort of outdoor activities your friend is into.

I'd stay away from the burbs. I'd stay away from the Pearl...while nice it can be pretty spendy.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I know people who used to go to school at Bowdoin which is about 30 minutes away and liked it a lot. My impression of Portland was that it was a hip town with great sea food. Also, you could drive to Red Sox games for the afternoon.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    I know people who used to go to school at Bowdoin which is about 30 minutes away and liked it a lot. My impression of Portland was that it was a hip town with great sea food. Also, you could drive to Red Sox games for the afternoon.
    Oh, we're talking Portland, ME. Ooops. Disregard my post.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Oh, we're talking Portland, ME. Ooops. Disregard my post.
    Pretty sure the thread was about OR and St. J. is kidding, but who knows?

Both Portlands are kewl, anyways.

yeah, oregon, sorry for any confusion

I agree with the others, it depends on:
    - renting or buying?
    - where working?
    - car?
    - activities/hobbies?
    - yard or downtown?
    etc...

I live in St. Johns (N Pdx) and I love it. I like being just across the bridge from an almost deserted part of Foret Park. I run 5 or 6 days a week in the park, live 1 1/2 blocks from a real nice other park (including disc golf), and take my dog to the rivers a couple times a week. Tradeoff is distance to the mountain and other things. It takes about 10 more minutes to get to Hood, but is actually closer to my work (downtownish) than my old place in Sellwood, which was a little too uppity for me.

Alembical

I would live as close as possible to King Burrito.

My friends live in Irvington (NE Portland, I think). I like it there. It's residential but there's lots of stuff within a ten minute bike ride, and they commute to the downtown on their bikes.

whatever happened to "Dignity Village"?

I'll reiterate that he should live as close as possible to where he works, because commuting can get ugly, especially if you don't live close to a MAX or bus stop. Crossing from the west side to the east side or vice-versa during rush hour is a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DickDeep View Post
    whatever happened to "Dignity Village"?
    AlpineJunkie moved in and the name was changed to "Douchebag Village".
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiv View Post
    Name AlpineJunkie Douchebag and changed "Village". into was the moved.

R.A.M
    Stage Nuir

Seemed like a decent enough thread title to hijack. Seems I will be in portland tonight for business and then I need somewhere to put booze in my drinkditch. Im at the Heathman. Where do I go to put out the vibe?

i know zero about socializing in pdx but i'd come say hello if the boy didn't have to be in bed by 7.

If you're willing to cross the river, the Laurelthirst is awesome. Great music, great vibe, neighborhood bar.

If you have the time, try to get over to Pok Pok for dinner. Best Thai food in America.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Seemed like a decent enough thread title to hijack. Seems I will be in portland tonight for business and then I need somewhere to put booze in my drinkditch. Im at the Heathman. Where do I go to put out the vibe?

is someone else paying? Departure at the top of The Nines

or just nearby? Bailey's Taproom

[eta] there's the touron event at Kells downtown (ignore the NW location)
    http://www.kellsportland.com/st-patrick-s-festival

The Heathman is a good place to start. I think they wrecked the entryway with another loud visible dining splatz, but the library in back is still cool.

Next, I'd go to the Benson for that old moneyed look and snorfing down a few nice single malts.

After a few there it's time to go unwind at ProRow (Produce Row) for pool and snacks.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

from co-founders of double mountain brewery, podnah's & sizzle pie
    http://www.wayfinder.beer/ in SE Industrial

Reed used to have a killer chem department with all kinds of trendy chemical amusements just for the taking.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

well, he's looking to put out the vibe, so maybe... Steam?

portland

Finally hunkered down at Steam with Fabrizio.

Thanks for the recos. Buster, Heathman entry intact if you mean the Broadway side. The restaurant has new owners and some reno but they've done a fine job with the place and poached some great bartenders. Nice negroni down the hatch already.

Wy, maybe golf this summer. Still battling.

Acin, corpo card only goes so far and it's just me, so may try Baileys or Wayfinder. Laurelhurst if I get giddy.

If you find yourself at Pok Pok later on (my wife's old neighborhood in SE) and are looking for a good dive go to The Reel M Inn, SE Division & 25th.

Victory bar down the street in the other direction made some damn good manhattans last I was in. Lots of hipsters though.

Woodsman Tavern on SE Division for an excellent bourbon bar.

If you want an amazing dinner Le Pigeon is still my favorite after all these years in town and Gabriel Rucker is still one of my favorite chefs. Then you can go out back where you likely parked and get hassled by meth tweakers for the full Portland experience. Try his more casual spot Little Bird for good drinks and a quick bite.

Clyde Common in the Ace makes a good drink too.

Driftwood Room in Hotel Deluxe in SW off Burnside makes a good drink too. Kinda throwback vibe too. Bartender who was all of 21 was kinda pretentious last time in though, asked if 'craft cocktails' had made it to Atlanta yet. Told her yeah, they even invented bourbon in the south too! That's when she tried telling me that they're making just as good a bourbon in Portland these days that they are in Tennessee. I said, you mean Kentucky? She said yeah, one of those long states.

I asked her coworker to make our drinks. Good luck.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    If you find yourself at Pok Pok later on (my wife's old neighborhood in SE) and are looking for a good dive go to The Reel M Inn, SE Division & 25th.

Victory bar down the street in the other direction made some damn good manhattans last I was in. Lots of hipsters though.

Woodsman Tavern on SE Division for an excellent bourbon bar.

If you want an amazing dinner Le Pigeon is still my favorite after all these years in town and Gabriel Rucker is still one of my favorite chefs. Then you can go out back where you likely parked and get hassled by meth tweakers for the full Portland experience. Try his more casual spot Little Bird for good drinks and a quick bite.

Clyde Common in the Ace makes a good drink too.

Driftwood Room in Hotel Deluxe in SW off Burnside makes a good drink too. Kinda throwback vibe too. Bartender who was all of 21 was kinda pretentious last time in though, asked if 'craft cocktails' had made it to Atlanta yet. Told her yeah, they even invented bourbon in the south too! That's when she tried telling me that they're making just as good a bourbon in Portland these days that they are in Tennessee. I said, you mean Kentucky? She said yeah, one of those long states.

I asked her coworker to make our drinks. Good luck.
    Hit Le Pigeon years and years ago and was pretty blown away. Been nibbling down my journey so may not sit down formally. At Pepe le Moko under Clyde Common right now. Thanks for the recos for the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Hit Le Pigeon years and years ago and was pretty blown away. Been nibbling down my journey so may not sit down formally. At Pepe le Moko under Clyde Common right now. Thanks for the recos for the next round.
    Nice! That's a fun little spot for sure.

Drink too much for all of us.
    I still call it The Jake.