Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    Just got my first pair mounted up by the shop...
    MOUNT YOUR OWN FUCKING SKIS

Yerrr gunna die.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ya ya ya chirp chirp chirp but paper and a ruler and my sloppy ass aren't dialed enough for a cast Mount

Just got my first pair mounted up by the shop... Noticed that one of the shoulder bolts is slightly off kilter resulting in one alpine toe being slightly stiffer to remove than the other. Doesn't seem to be any additional stiffness on the tech toe when removing. Dry runs of clicking boots into both the touring and alpine modes and releasing seem to operate totally normal. At this point it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but since I'm new to these things, just wondering if there may be some unforseen issue that could arise?

Attachment 348347
    It'll be fine. Slight wear and rear will smoothen it. If not, and it's annoying enough you can remove the front piece and remount in the same holes pr instructions given earlier in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    It'll be fine. Slight wear and rear will smoothen it. If not, and it's annoying enough you can remove the front piece and remount in the same holes pr instructions given earlier in the thread
    That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

Any tips or tricks for keeping the fooking brakes locked when touring??? Holy hell they must have popped out like 80 times today. Seemed to happen less when I snapped the dildo "up"...

Other than that pretty clean for a first try today! So nice to drop in on actual bindings \m/

Any tips or tricks for keeping the fooking brakes locked when touring??? Holy hell they must have popped out like 80 times today. Seemed to happen less when I snapped the dildo "up"...

Other than that pretty clean for a first try today! So nice to drop in on actual bindings \m/
    that shouldn't happen somethings not right

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

There is a lip/notch on the CAST brake retainer. If that notch doesn't line up with with the metal step on the underside of the Pivot brake, then the two will not interface and your brake will keep popping up. The dildo of the heel piece has nothing to do with it.

You likely did not lined up the 2-screw CAST brake retainer / heel lift assembly correctly on install. It's okay, I've made this mistake in the past... and obviously remounting is not an option. To fix this, I took a dremel and made the gap between them metal step on the Pivot brake a bit bigger so that the CAST lip fully connects.

Alternatively, buy a ski strap. Best of luck and happy dremel'ing.
    Last edited by tnabe; 11-22-2020 at 12:22 AM.

I always carry the rubber band that came with mine for times when the brake retainer might get a little tweaked in the field. I use it to keep the toe pieces together in my pack. Not sure current production comes with a band, but a Voile strap or similar would work.

I cranked down the the star bolts that connect the brake lock to the heel block, so now the whole mechanism is much, much stiffer than it was. Hopefully this additional force is enough to overcome the tendency for the brakes to release.

I cranked down the the star bolts that connect the brake lock to the heel block, so now the whole mechanism is much, much stiffer than it was. Hopefully this additional force is enough to overcome the tendency for the brakes to release.
    if its working properly it's difficult to disengage. sounds like your shop fucked up

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Got my Cast setup on a pair of ON3P Wren 108s. Loving it so far!

Anyone with experience of using the CAST system with QK/BF inserts? I've been asked to mount some skis with both for a customer. I've done thousands of bindings mounts including a few CAST systems and installed thousands of inserts but not done a CAST with inserts. I don't yet have the CAST kit in my possesion to play with but I'm concerned that with the M5 insert screws being a tad smaller in diameter than a regular binding screw that they might introduce some play in the shoulder bolts/studs? Or does the fact that the mounting screws are well countersunk in to the shoulder bolts/studs and they're sitting on the metal base plate give sufficient support/stability etc?

Feedback appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Anyone with experience of using the CAST system with QK/BF inserts? I've been asked to mount some skis with both for a customer. I've done thousands of bindings mounts including a few CAST systems and installed thousands of inserts but not done a CAST with inserts. I don't yet have the CAST kit in my possesion to play with but I'm concerned that with the M5 insert screws being a tad smaller in diameter than a regular binding screw that they might introduce some play in the shoulder bolts/studs? Or does the fact that the mounting screws are well countersunk in to the shoulder bolts/studs and they're sitting on the metal base plate give sufficient support/stability etc?

Feedback appreciated.
    I would reach out to Lars and Silas on this one. I believe they mount their's with inserts. Their contact should be available on the cast site or you could pm me and I'll send it to you

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I would reach out to Lars and Silas on this one. I believe they mount their's with inserts. Their contact should be available on the cast site or you could pm me and I'll send it to you
    I have done thanks but wanted to check here as well.

The boys use helicoils, not QK/BF inserts. The helicoils don’t create issues with CAST if you put them in correctly, aka they don’t stick out. Maybe suggest helicoils to your customer?

Side note, I don’t believe Lars and Silas can ski with out helicoils, bindings tend to fall out for them with out the extra purchase into the core

Inserts are fine if you mount them straight. The tophats are located by the countersunk head anyway, not the shank of the screw. Any extra space there isn't going to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    .......The tophats are located by the countersunk head anyway, not the shank of the screw........
    Yep, that was my thinking too.

It probably makes more sense to use heli coils then have two sets of the toe plates rather than use inserts on the toes. Not sure about the heels. Maybe still insert them.

The CAST guys probably wouldn’t have that same issue since, well, they’re spancered.

Hold the phone, maybe not right place to ask - but are pivot 14 and 18’s the same mount pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite what you are looking for, but what I do is mount the toes normally on both skis, then use BF inserts for the heels and risers. Not quite as elegant for packing multiple sets of planks, but cheap enough and quick to swap since the toe pieces are already detachable.

Might that be an option for your customer?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    It probably makes more sense to use heli coils then have two sets of the toe plates rather than use inserts on the toes. Not sure about the heels. Maybe still insert them.

The CAST guys probably wouldn’t have that same issue since, well, they’re spancered.

Hold the phone, maybe not right place to ask - but are pivot 14 and 18’s the same mount pattern?

14s and 18s as well as 15’s have the same hole pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post

Feedback appreciated.
    There is no play/stablity issue in my experience. I've detailed my mount in post #373. Everything is holding up well so far with the inserts.

Best Regards,
    Momchil

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    14s and 18s as well as 15’s have the same hole pattern.

Thanks! I assumed that was the case. Which was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    There is no play/stablity issue in my experience. I've detailed my mount in post #373. Everything is holding up well so far with the inserts.

Best Regards,
    Momchil
    Thanks bud, that's great. Didn't realize that banzai was you. Now I know why you wanted the metal jig!

I was playing around with the tech toe and noticed that the pins were not clamping the boot tight. It is so loose I can remove the boot without spreading the pins. When I looked closer I can see that the two silver metal tabs near the springs are hitting the shoulder on the tower mounts. I would think I would try to bend them slightly but didn’t want to screw them up. I apologize in advance if this has been covered before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C28527EA-F99A-47BD-BCCB-D6222D5F690E.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	350665
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	916927B7-1BBC-47FF-8652-B35D1FE721B9.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	350666

I ran into that issue last year. They suggested not bending the little wings and to just brute force it down, basically shaving a hair or chamfering the top of the shoulder. That worked for one of my toes, but not the other. I ended up filing the shoulder a bit and adding the chamfer myself. As you use them, it sort of settles into place.