Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Juneteenth

Arrow Juneteenth

How is the adoption on Juneteenth where you are?

It's become an official holiday at my company, starting two years ago. My GF's company has also started recognizing a Juneteenth holiday as of this year.

My mom's family was emancipated in Jamaica in the 1830s. There's a story in her family about an already freed slave falling in love with a slave and buying her freedom. My uncle has the legal documents and letters between the two which have been passed down through generations. Both slaves in the story were from second families, meaning they were the children of plantation owners that were married to white women, but had a second family on the side with a slave woman. The children of these second families would often be educated and could read and write but kept their slave status.

The history is pretty terrible, but I feel at least somewhat lucky to know part of my family's story.

It really seems to be getting traction around here this year. Prior to this year I didn't hear that much about it but this year there's events, closings of various stuff, etc etc.

First year that our company is recognizing it as well. (Company is headquartered in the South, FWIW.)

My workplace recognizes it. My wife's private healthcare job does not observe it yet.

We just visited family in the midwest for a wedding. To at least some of them Juneteenth is ridiculous, as is pride month. They spend a lot of time at church. Rough time of year for them.

I wasn't aware of Juneteenth until 2020.

Thanks for sharing some family history though. It wasn't that long ago really.

Holiday at the wife's company this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    I wasn't aware of Juneteenth until 2020.
    I recall the emancipation being taught in school south of the mason-dixon but the Juneteenth terminology was new to me a few years ago.

I remember being driven through Atlanta in the back of a cab with the SVP of my company on Juneteenth in 2008 or so. It was wild and we couldnt figure out what was going on.

Now it seems pretty recognized

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Holiday at the wife's company this year.

I recall the emancipation being taught in school south of the mason-dixon but the Juneteenth terminology was new to me a few years ago.
    Same here. I hadn’t heard there was a day to recognize it named Juneteenth until the “Juneteenth” episode on Atlanta

I heard about it a few years ago when it popped up on my iPhone.

Grew up in Chicago with black friends and coworkers. It wasn’t a thing then.

It’s like Father’s Day. Made up shit.

I’m okay with it being a day. But another federal paid holiday? Wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

You are such a clown. You can't get anything right in life.

Who the fuck doesn’t want another paid holiday?

Humor me. What does Juneteenth represent? I am really not sure. And I work for a giant global corporation. Juneteenth messages every day
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Humor me. What does Juneteenth represent? I am really not sure. And I work for a giant global corporation. Juneteenth messages every day
    Juneteenth is the day the final group of slaves was freed when the Feds went into Texas to force their release. Texas had been defying the emancipation proclamation.

In short, it’s celebrating the actual end of slavery in America.

It’s been a state holiday in TX for over 40 years, but since you didn’t know about it I guess it didn’t matter.

What holiday isn’t “made up”? Was Jesus really born on Dec 25th? Columbus never even landed on North America. Hell, the entire Gregorian calendar is “made up”.

Not celebrated or even discussed in the vast Whiteness that is Colorado.

First time, Monday, that the NY Stock Exchange will be closed to recognize it.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    It’s been a state holiday in TX for over 40 years, but since you didn’t know about it I guess it didn’t matter.

What holiday isn’t “made up”? Was Jesus really born on Dec 25th? Columbus never even landed on North America. Hell, the entire Gregorian calendar is “made up”.
    Thank you, that was good.

Was looking at my calendar on my Android phone, according to it Sunday is indeed a holiday. Good for us and a great big yeehaw, way to hang tough Tex-ass.

Me.... Self employed means you take the day off which is OK but crowded and shit and then the rest of the week is fucked up catching up. I am happy July 4th lands on a Monday this year. It really fucks things up when its a mid week day.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

2nd year of it being recognized by my firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Who the fuck do you think pays for that holiday???

My point was that it’s recent. And yes, it was a Texas thing that took off after Floyd.
    But do the lazy ass federal employees need another paid holiday? Fuck no. Fuck them.

Trade Juneteenth for Presidents’ Day. Or Veterans Day. Or Labor Day. Or whatever useless federal holiday already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Me.... Self employed means you take the day off which is OK but crowded and shit and then the rest of the week is fucked up catching up. I am happy July 4th lands on a Monday this year. It really fucks things up when its a mid week day.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Do you get a Happy New Year message every day too?

My point was that it’s recent. And yes, it was a Texas thing that took off after Floyd.
    But do the lazy ass federal employees need another paid holiday? Fuck no. Fuck them.

Trade Juneteenth for Presidents’ Day. Or Veterans Day. Or Labor Day. Or whatever useless federal holiday already exists.
    We need more paid time off in this country, asshole. Humans aren't slaves to their employers any longer in this country. We live in a society.

I really don’t think a problem in America right now is that there’s simply too much holiday/vacation time.

Jesus you are an intolerable asshole. Utah recognizing it as a holiday for the 1st time this year.

Lazy ass fed employees is coming from the guy with 16k posts here....

Some saturation into the Seattle area, but some of it just lip service and some typical honky resentment.
    For example, Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, and Nordstrom do not include Juneteenth as a paid holiday, but recognize the day. msft encourages listening and reflecting that day. Chairman Bill always was a hard driver.

Some of my local inlaws are fairly obvious racists, so my experience gets diluted.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A49DD33B-B52E-4B37-B1A6-819EAC4C02CE.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	419157