Page 98 of 107 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2651
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Have you thought about a older MB E320 ? They can be had pretty cheap, easy to work on and parts are readily available since they sold a billion of them around the world.
    DEFINITELY on the short list. However those too have sadly shot up in price lately. I used to see them for a grand or two. Now a well maintained one with an interior not ripped to shreds seems to be in the 5-10K range.

Are they not all automatics in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Get a new car and drive it for 10 years with no issues. Stop fucking with bitches with baggage.
    Yeah guys, it’s easy! Just pay $30k+ for a new car or $50k+ cash for an suv and park it in your four car heated garage connected to your 4000sq ft house. If your assets are tied up in equities right now you can just finance on an 8-year loan that’ll be underwater immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Jeezus, dude - you're REALLY hamstringing yourself here considering you're just looking for a cheap shitbox.
    You're not wrong. However I have WAY more confidence in an older manual transmission than an automatic. ESPECIALLY in Ford, GM, and Hyundai/Kia products which are all known for widespread transmission failures. Not to mention if I'm gonna buy something like said gerbil-powered shitbox, then it might as well at least be halfway engaging to drive. In a low power econobox, the transmission makes ALL the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Yeah guys, it’s easy! Just pay $30k+ for a new car or $50k+ cash for an suv and park it in your four car heated garage connected to your 4000sq ft house. If your assets are tied up in equities right now you can just finance on an 8-year loan that’ll be underwater immediately.
    Nailed it.

Average New-Car Price Tops $47,000, an All-Time High
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-a4060089312/

Sorry, resident dentists, but homey can't play dat. Believe it or not, some of us here are actually kinda poor.

How is the 'market adjustment' charge anything other than profiteering? Should be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You're not wrong. However I have WAY more confidence in an older manual transmission than an automatic. ESPECIALLY in Ford, GM, and Hyundai/Kia products which are all known for widespread transmission failures. Not to mention if I'm gonna buy something like said gerbil-powered shitbox, then it might as well at least be halfway engaging to drive. In a low power econobox, the transmission makes ALL the difference.
    I don't disagree, but jeezus, man... 95% of *any* U.S.-offered vehicle in the last 25 years is gonna be an automatic. And it only has to last a year or two, right?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    How is the 'market adjustment' charge anything other than profiteering? Should be illegal.
    For real. I think it's already in illegal in Canada if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps we should consider something similar. At least the GM CEO has had enough of these dealer's nonsense when it comes to the Z06 and the Hummer EV:

Corvette Price Gouging: GM North America President Puts Dealers on Notice
    https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ers-on-notice/

Cool and all, but hopefully GM will put their money where their mouth is. And follow suit, Honda et al! Simultaneously, I also wish the consumers would quit being idiots too. QUIT PAYING OVER MSRP YOU #$%!ing MORANS!!!

I don't disagree, but jeezus, man... 95% of *any* U.S.-offered vehicle in the last 25 years is gonna be an automatic. And it only has to last a year or two, right?
    Well, that's the goal, but I know reality can always strike. Like another job loss. Another pandemic. Whatever. You never know. I only planned on having my stupid SUV for a couple years too but then ended up somehow being stuck with it for like 10. Finally dumped it last fall when the trans blew... again. Goddam GM and their shit transmissions.

While we are bitching about AT's what about AWD transfer case issues. My V70R shredded its at around 110k miles and my Cayenne has a known issue that has an extended warranty until 2023. How are other brands holding up in the AWD transfer case dept?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Re: transfer case - The ones that people change fluids and maintain are mostly fine from what (little) I know. The ones that follow the "sealed for life" shit that's spewed all over are causing problems for people. So many of the used cars that say 'needs tranny fluid' or some similar bullshit have blown t-cases, angle gears or diffs. Then there's the mechanics that refuse to do that kind of maintenance and there's a lot more of them thanks there should be. The guy that worked on my RR refused to replace bushings and ball joints "because the bore is never round after you press them out" so he would only replace entire assemblies. Maintain...

Haha, I think that Austin and I are our own biggest problems when it comes to used cars

^^^
    I've always wondered about how a mechanic would look at doing suspension/chassis refreshes, i.e., is it only worth their time if they replace the whole component and not just the bits?

I'm lucky in that I've never had to have that kind of work done on a car but I intend to keep my Allroad until the wheels fall off or until its time to trade it in for the unicorn wagon so I may as well bone up on what rubber bits should be replaced first and in what order before it becomes time to do so.
    I still call it The Jake.

Bushings and ball joints are a way of life on lots of cars. Most Japanese and US cars, trucks and SUV have super easy to replace steering and suspension pieces. Euro cars like to get super fancy so you end up replacing assemblies.

Nah, when half of one side costs this much https://www.roverparts.com/steering/...rms/LR023714G/ and the joints and bushings are under $300 for everything on both sides you pull the assembly and replace the bearings. Fukn $5k+? I don't think so.

edit for link
    Last edited by gravitylover; 01-27-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    While we are bitching about AT's what about AWD transfer case issues. My V70R shredded its at around 110k miles and my Cayenne has a known issue that has an extended warranty until 2023. How are other brands holding up in the AWD transfer case dept?
    Many (most?) AWD systems (especially cars with transverse engines) share fluid between the transmission and transfer case. This is the case for at least Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. Some companies (looking at you Toyota) have tried to cheat the EPA fluid maintenance specs by specifying lifetime fluid (generally 100k miles). Of course we all know it won’t actually last that long. Honda actually specs transmission fluid changes every 30k, which should keep the transfer case and transmission in good nick long term.

So I’d say the key to getting transfer cases to last a long time is to ensure regular fluid changes of the transmission. Yes even CVTs need fluid changes. Yes even “lifetime” fluids need changing. No, don’t let anybody do a “power flush” or any shit like that. Call around to different dealerships and hang up if they tell you they never change transmission fluid, they’re morons or actively trying to waste your money. Someone will know how to properly do an exchange of fluid and your transmissions and transfer cases will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nah, when half of one side costs this much https://www.roverparts.com/steering/...rms/LR023714G/ and the joints and bushings are under $300 for everything on both sides you pull the assembly and replace the bearings. Fukn $5k+? I don't think so.

edit for link
    Or you could just buy non OEM.....

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My XC70 is juuuuust about to roll over 200K and zero AWD issues thus far. Then again, it doesn't have the power your V70R has either so maybe it helps that my car is slow as balls so the transfer case probably doesn't have much wear on it. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Haha, I think that Austin and I are our own biggest problems when it comes to used cars
    Truth.

Well this evening sucked. '02 Continental in freaking cherry shape. Only 70K. Grandpa died situation and kids were just trying to get rid of it. I saw it a while back but price was too high but I did have my eye on it. Got reposted this afternoon with big price drop that made it a no-brainer impulse buy. Called the guy, chatted about the car, said it was perfect and just got back from dealer getting ALL fluids swapped and brand new tires. Sweeeeet. Dude gave me his address so I said I was leaving my house and would zip over there right away. Go to his apartment complex 30 minutes later, call him up to let him know I was there. Dude says "Uhh, sorry man. Somebody gave us a $100 deposit like 2 minutes ago so I guess it's sold. Dammit! I'm here outside your door with cash, asshole! Bastard knew I was running over there. Grrrr....

Ok. Plan B. Time to check out the Mini Cooper S that's about an hour+ out of town. Guy gives address. Get up there. K. A bit rough, but I was expecting that. Test drive it. HAULS ASS! I've driven the same year S before, but this one blew the doors off that one. Something tells me it had a tune or something. Boosted harder or something. Pulled like a freight train and ran great. Clutch seemed great too. Then I pull into a well lit area to examine it better since seller's place was in the country, in the woods, and was totally dark so needed a better look. OBVIOUSLY had been wrecked at some point and crappy repair job was starting to rust. Mismatched headlights. Cracked windshield. Random dents and flaking paint. Fluids pooling underneath the car as I was looking at it (think it was brake fluid). Everything soaked with oil underneath. Radiator expansion tank cracked. I could go on and on and on. Yeah. This car was a total basket case. Told the guy I'd have to pass and he instantly threw me a lower number that could've maybe been worth it if I had tons of time and money to throw at it, but a used beat up Mini is WAY more hassle than I can handle right now. Ad said it was in "Great shape." Uhh, yeah. Sure, buddy.

Other guy never got back to me about his overpriced Fuckus either. Same with the guy selling the questionable Impreza. And here I thought buyers were annoying when I've sold cars. Apparently sellers can be just as annoying too. Oh well. The search continues.

Cars and real estate seem to attract the dregs of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Cars and real estate seem to attract the dregs of society.
    For real! Same types of psychology at play for sure. See a car that's been listed 8 weeks and it just HAPPENS to sell the day I contact them? Same goes for houses. Home's been sitting in the market for a year, but the second you throw down an offer, all of a sudden there's a shit ton of interest and multiple offers. It's like realtors and car sellers both sit on their asses trying to sell something and then the second YOU want it, they get that hornets nest all stirred up. "Hey! Lots of interest on this property! You should make an offer!" Bastards...

And I thought CL was bad, but been shopping on FB Marketplace too and that's somehow an even lower rung of shitheads.

^^
    No low ballers. I know what I got. Saw one go for like 3.4 million on Mecum last week.

For real. I think it's already in illegal in Canada if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps we should consider something similar.
    Comrade, your head is in the right place. It is only a small step from there to capitalism bad. Join me.

<snip>

And I thought CL was bad, but been shopping on FB Marketplace too and that's somehow an even lower rung of shitheads.
    I saw this recently on my FB feed (cross-posted from the truck thread):

2016 Ram 2500 · Lone Star Pickup 4D 6 1/3 ft
    $34,900 · Somerset, KY
    2016 Ram 2500 SLT Lone Star. Has the 6.7 Cummins, 163k miles

Get this: "Has a blue KY REBUILT TITLE from being side swiped down passenger side."

I saw this recently on my FB feed (cross-posted from the truck thread):

2016 Ram 2500 · Lone Star Pickup 4D 6 1/3 ft
    $34,900 · Somerset, KY
    2016 Ram 2500 SLT Lone Star. Has the 6.7 Cummins, 163k miles

Get this: "Has a blue KY REBUILT TITLE from being side swiped down passenger side."

PCP is a helluva drug!

FB marketplace is where pond scum settles.