Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I too was fascinated by the idea of super long rides. Then I realize that I'd just be sore and not really gaining anything that I couldnt do in 80 miles other than the fact it looks cool on strava.

That being said, if you make a 6 Gap Ride with more gravel and a bit longer, I'd probably show up. But definitely not with a few hundred other people. I'm done with that scene.

It needs a few solid hike a bikes to filter out the roadies

Anyone experiment with different types of ergo grips and bars on mtn bikes? I don't actively have wrist or hand numbness problems but lately have been going on much longer rides where my hands start to wander for more positions...

In the past, I had a pair of Jones bars on a previous bike and love them for distance and light singletrack especially on a rigid. The 45 degree on the Jones was great for I'd say 80% of riding except when the singletrack gets rough or technical.

My current hardtail is definitely more trail oriented with standard wide flat bars. I've been looking at the SQ labs 30x bars with 16 degree backsweep. I've also been considering carbon to lose some weight and absorb chatter but it's $$$ and I've never actually had carbon anything. Worth the investment? I'm thinking a bar in the 780mm width, 15-20 degree sweep, and 30ish rise is the sweet spot - then pair this with a pair of ergon-style grips.

Coming from flat bars, the Cowchippers on my gravel bike always feel great.

A buddy of mine has been using ergo grips on his mtb for years. He charges the downhill and doesn't seem to have any issues and is quite happy w them.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    I too was fascinated by the idea of super long rides. Then I realize that I'd just be sore and not really gaining anything that I couldnt do in 80 miles other than the fact it looks cool on strava.

That being said, if you make a 6 Gap Ride with more gravel and a bit longer, I'd probably show up. But definitely not with a few hundred other people. I'm done with that scene.
    That's called the IRR. It broke me last year at mile 103ish. 15k vert, 117 miles. So close but I bonked. Can't wait for my knee to be 100% again so I can give it hell again. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27781780

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Anyone experiment with different types of ergo grips and bars on mtn bikes? I don't actively have wrist or hand numbness problems but lately have been going on much longer rides where my hands start to wander for more positions...

In the past, I had a pair of Jones bars on a previous bike and love them for distance and light singletrack especially on a rigid. The 45 degree on the Jones was great for I'd say 80% of riding except when the singletrack gets rough or technical.

My current hardtail is definitely more trail oriented with standard wide flat bars. I've been looking at the SQ labs 30x bars with 16 degree backsweep. I've also been considering carbon to lose some weight and absorb chatter but it's $$$ and I've never actually had carbon anything. Worth the investment? I'm thinking a bar in the 780mm width, 15-20 degree sweep, and 30ish rise is the sweet spot - then pair this with a pair of ergon-style grips.

Coming from flat bars, the Cowchippers on my gravel bike always feel great.
    I use the Ergon version with the bar-ends. Add Bar-yak or aero bar if the bikepack trip will take me on more gravel/roads, also gives me a better place to strap the bags. That gives me multiple positions and rides great. This is on a flat-bar MTB. I keep the Ergon w/bar-ends for all of my MTB riding.

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    That's called the IRR. It broke me last year at mile 103ish. 15k vert, 117 miles. So close but I bonked. Can't wait for my knee to be 100% again so I can give it hell again. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27781780
    Didn't they rebrand it as something different? This looks to take the cake in terms of all out suffering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I've been running ergon grips on my hardtail. No bar ends, just a wider paddle surface on the grip. Not amazing but helps some with more hand positions for sure.

I've been riding Ergon grips for years. On some bikes I like the comfort GP1's and others the race grip because it's firmer and gives better feel. I have the ones with the integrated bar ends on the bikes that do the longer rides for extra hand positions which works well, they also give some protection when I miss and clip a tree.

Cool, might have to give those a try. Wondering how ergons would feel on a bar with like 12-16 degree backsweep, compared to a normal flat bar.

I tried the original ergons with and without the barends when I used to race 100 miles. They negatively affected my downhilling so much I had to go back to standard grips. An ergonomic mouse at my desk did better for me than those horrible grips.

Cool, might have to give those a try. Wondering how ergons would feel on a bar with like 12-16 degree backsweep, compared to a normal flat bar.
    I've had the GP1s on my commuter with swept back bars for the past decade or so. Works great.

They make a model for deeply swept handlebars.

I’m trying to decide how to have my cell phone accessible during rides. Attach a mount to the back of my phone case and “click” into a base on the stem or bars or choose a bento box style top bar bag with a window with touch screen sensitivity.

What are folks using?

Phone always goes in my jersey or a shorts pocket. I have a plastic bag/case thing for money and cards that my phone fits in if I need to keep it dry.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Phone always goes in my jersey or a shorts pocket. I have a plastic bag/case thing for money and cards that my phone fits in if I need to keep it dry.
    I'm going to use it for mapping/nav so I'd like to be able to see it while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'm going to use it for mapping/nav so I'd like to be able to see it while riding.
    Not sure what mount to use, but for an app, Ride with GPS is hard to beat. Turn by turn audio and visual, with built in cues and whatnot.
    I used it for the Dirty Pizza last year, they didn’t have time to mark the course, so we all used the app. When I heard my phone tell me that I was on the ‘last climb of significance’, oh the joy!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Do you have a garmin or anything? My 510 doesn't show an actual map, but it will give me a line to follow on a blank screen, which actually works pretty well even in a mess of old logging roads. Nicer garmins and hiking gps like an oregon will give you an actual map as well. Bonus with the oregon is they use AAs (or did) and have a micro sd slot. I try to avoid using my phone for gps tracking or navigation to preserve the battery, especially on longer days, in case I have an issue and need to call someone.

As far as battery life goes on the phone, once the map is downloaded to Ride with GPS, you can put your phone in airplane mode and dim the brightness at the same time, phone will last for hours like that.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Do you have a garmin or anything? My 510 doesn't show an actual map, but it will give me a line to follow on a blank screen, which actually works pretty well even in a mess of old logging roads. Nicer garmins and hiking gps like an oregon will give you an actual map as well. Bonus with the oregon is they use AAs (or did) and have a micro sd slot. I try to avoid using my phone for gps tracking or navigation to preserve the battery, especially on longer days, in case I have an issue and need to call someone.
    Looked at Garmin bike computers and at $250+ that's not gonna happen. I'd rather use a bento box and carry a phone charging battery.

Something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m trying to decide how to have my cell phone accessible during rides. Attach a mount to the back of my phone case and “click” into a base on the stem or bars or choose a bento box style top bar bag with a window with touch screen sensitivity.

What are folks using?
    Lifeproof case w/ quickmount, and mounted on stem. Ride w/ GPS in airplane mode is king. It costs a little, but worth it, plus when I'm bored at work, I can map out loops galore

Too funny! I was just geeking out over this earlier today..

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    Too funny! I was just geeking out over this earlier today..
    Yeah one of the best posts on that site every year. Love seeing what people are running!

I'm a wrench in banff, and set up at the Y and working on a lot of the bikes, Its kinda scare the diversity in the bikes budget and rider skills to work on bikes.

but lots of cool rigs. Salsa cutthroat seems to be the rig of choose this year.