Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    They're nice, power hungry but they sound great.
    The former owner was eaten by a crocodile, It jumped out of the water, grabbed him out of a canoe (in front of his wife) and disappeared underwater again.

With my Sansui G-8700DB (160 wpc) I had no problem turning the volume knob past the 1:00 position to have 100dB (115dB peaks), with the Khorns at 9:00 on the dial I'm over 100dB.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah those dq20's are beautiful, but how power hungry are they, really?

i used to have a pair of magneplanar's, but i found that their no-limit power consumption didn't really jive with me hard-limit budget considerations.

i like klipsch because i can get a few good watts for dirt cheap, and they just sing
    For what it's worth, I've got two 180w per channel rms amplifiers that were less than $400 total each. You should try one out... i also have a big rotel 400wpc that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet, but when I do, I have no idea what I will do with it. Big quality power is expensive if you buy new.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    For what it's worth, I've got two 180w per channel rms amplifiers that were less than $400 total each. You should try one out... i also have a big rotel 400wpc that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet, but when I do, I have no idea what I will do with it. Big quality power is expensive if you buy new.

sent from Utah.
    i think this is my next buy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

looks pretty great, all point to point construction, and 45wpc is plenty for me

Electronics! Falling into the geek rabbit hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	363531

Been tinkering with these for a few months, finally got to hear them play tonight. When I bought them they had 2 blown tweeters, 2 blown mid ranges, both woofers had separated surrounds and the xovers had been melted and toasted resistors.

I found replacement parts for the blown ones, rebuilt the xovers with new caps and resistors and refoamed the woofers tonight as the last step.

Not sure they are keepers but it’s been a fun project.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-18-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	363531

Been tinkering with these for a few months, finally got to hear them play tonight. When I bought them they had 2 blown tweeters, 2 blown mid ranges, both woofers had separated surrounds and the xovers had been melted and toasted resistors.

I found replacement parts for the blown ones, rebuild the xovers with new caps and resistors and reformed the woofers tonight as the last step.

Not sure they are keepers but it’s been a fun project.
    Nice dude, they look great! More importantly though, how did they sound?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Voices and highs sound really good. Looking at the speakers you’d think they’d have a ton of bass but they are kind of lacking in that area.

What are they? They have a lot going on on the front panel.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Sansui SP-3500's I think. I've never been a fan of Japanese speakers, they didn't have the east coast low muddy sound or a bright west coast sound, great party speakers but not as good as others you can find. I had a pair of Pioneer CS 907's or something (with the led lights) and they sounded great until I replaced them with Advents.

Yup, they are SP-3500s. They don’t really compare to my ADS L500s and those take up half the space so I think these will end up on KSL shortly. I just need to refinish the cabinets.

Definitely not at basinbeaters level yet but I've recapped a few sets of speakers recently. It's been keeping me busy after work in the evenings. These Dynacos that my dad gave me got fresh grill cloth, new caps and refinished veneer.
    Where did you find that grill cloth? I have a pair of Dynaco A-35s (hooked up to my Fisher 500-C) and I live in fear that my cats are going to destroy them one day. May as well stock up on the cloth now.

eBay. Super easy to replace as well.

eBay. Super easy to replace as well.
    Thanks a ton.

If anyone is going down the tube guitar amp rabbit hole, I may as well out myself: I'm the dumb/boring/not-Skip half of this podcast: The Truth About Vintage Amps. Check it out if you need something to kill the time while soldering. Basically the Car Talk format for people trying to fix tube amps (or just get random cooking and booze tips).

I’m definitely tube curious but have no clue where to start. And that shit seems really expensive.

Name:	IMG_4442.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	364051

We’ve covered the sound but I almost want to keep these just for the looks. These wood lattice grills are a work of art. Cabinets sanded, oiled and waxed. Ready to go but maybe they will stick around for a bit.

Yep, that's nice looking for sure.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Name:	IMG_4442.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	364051

We’ve covered the sound but I almost want to keep these just for the looks. These wood lattice grills are a work of art. Cabinets sanded, oiled and waxed. Ready to go but maybe they will stick around for a bit.
    That reminds me of a discussion I had with my 93 yo father in law. He wanted me to get rid of a broken clock that was in the room he uses. I liked the way the clock looked and it sort of tied the room together. He thought that was weird. He didn't understand that I use my phone to check the time. He's probably thinking kids these days.

Quote Originally Posted by FJ62 View Post
    Thanks a ton.

If anyone is going down the tube guitar amp rabbit hole, I may as well out myself: I'm the dumb/boring/not-Skip half of this podcast: The Truth About Vintage Amps. Check it out if you need something to kill the time while soldering. Basically the Car Talk format for people trying to fix tube amps (or just get random cooking and booze tips).
    I had a Soldano SP-77 for a while but sold it because they were going for quite a bit, Mine went to Hong Kong.

I have a Dynaco ST-70 waiting to be rebuilt, eventually It will power the Khorns. I acquired it and a few other tube amps after a friend died, his son was cleaning out his shop and was ready to throw them into the scrap pile. I was also able to save a Stephens TruSonic 206 AXA, I'm hoping to find another (or just build one of the mono amps).

Been a good couple of days for noise makers in this house.

I had sent the tweeters and woofers to the ADS wizard Richard So for some love. All I knew was that one surround had a small tear in it but I sent everything so he could look it over. They sounded great so I wasn't expecting issues with the other parts but he said everything had issues. So these are basically brand new now. There's a good chance I won't ever sell these speakers.

Zu in the house! Got a call that they were ready earlier this week, just ran up to Ogden to pick them up.

Currently giving them a good mix of my favorites.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-27-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Hell yeah!

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

How many Ogden's?

Zu in the house!
    Currently giving them a good mix of my favorites.
    I was wondering when you'd finally get those puppies. Love my set!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Got my first ever run of circuit boards. This one is a bit of a cluster. I was using the free version of the software to design it, and it limits you to the size of the board you can work for free. But I like the software, so I have paid for it, and am working on a new version. I also figured out how to update my libraries in the software with footprint models and 3d cad models from mouser, so I can use device specific footprints. Makes life much easier. Anyways, pretty stoked. I think I am going to stuff some parts in there tonight and see if it works. It is a simple buffer circuit designed to isolate stages of the audio signal, and it makes sure the source is driving a high impedance loads, and that the next stage sees a low impedance. I'm already working on a redesign that will be a much nicer laid out board and not as cramped, and much better signal runs.
    Anyway, I'm pretty stoked that I figured out how to actually make a manufactured part. The grand plan to design and build my own electronics stuff suddenly seems so much a possibility.
    Check it out.
    A buffer based on an apt design with an included regulated power supply. Just supply audio signal and ac voltage.

Name:	IMG_20210228_174152.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	365279

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

And, first test, it is working. Plays music. Sounds decent. But just listened for 30 seconds cause it was late when I got it goin.

Name:	IMG_20210301_232539.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	365547

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Very cool! What are the specs on it? Gonna sell some kits down the road? This seems kind of similar, just came across it and would consider trying to build (or put together?) something like this:

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/a...=7072933085218