Page 779 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 ... LastLast
Results 19,451 to 19,475 of 27075
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    My buddy that coaches community college swimming had total compensation of $196k in 2020 and will retire with $10k a month income and medicare deductible paid. Teachers and government employees in California are well compensated and that mantra of unappreciated should change..at least in California.
    Calpers is legit if you were able to get in about 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    My buddy that coaches community college swimming had total compensation of $196k in 2020 and will retire with $10k a month income and medicare deductible paid. Teachers and government employees in California are well compensated and that mantra of unappreciated should change..at least in California.
    Good for California, I guess.

The exact opposite is true here in ID.

Where's Benny to come in and claim that the high prices in the Mountain West is because of the high compensation of California public employees? They're buying all our homes with their fat pensions!

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Where's Benny to come in and claim that the high prices in the Mountain West is because of the high compensation of California public employees? They're buying all our homes with their fat pensions!
    And the horribly inflated cash value of their California home. A million bucks goes far in Boise.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    As a hack from CA, I can assure you I have no desire to live in I Da Hoe. Italy maybe, but that is because it is like a very cool CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Seems like there's an opportunity for other countries to woo our wealthy Calpers retirees and other trust fund dentist types. Old houses in Japan are available for a song, tens of thousands and up. I've seen decent houses in Hokkaido near skiing under $200k. And I keep seeing articles about how rural European towns are struggling to keep up their populations.

No idea if it'll pan out, but I've been chatting with some friends about each of us buying a house somewhere cool - guy who married a Spanish woman can build a house on his inlaws property in Spain, etc. and then house swapping every 3-4 months or so. I mean, while a $600k teardown in Bellingham seems pretty epic, living near the beach in Spain might not be too bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    uhm... the government can snap their fingers and make wages go up, but they won't.

But it's going to happen either way. If you aren't willing to pay $20/hr in this town you won't get any applicants.

We definitely fell way behind on building because money dried up after the financial meltdown, and I agree that incentivizing density/disincentivizing sprawl would be the smart thing, but this country is so "I got mine so fuck you" I don't see any meaningful change on that front. Especially where the wealthy control the local government.
    It's the reverse situation where the rich developers control the local gov't. Then it's urban sprawl and rezoning to accommodate the builders. I guess that's a good thing, except all the developers are doing is building million dollar homes to maximize profits. I mean it's not cheap when you have to pay a general laborer $26/hr and the trades pros get 5 times that. Not that I would know anything about that....
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Seems like there's an opportunity for other countries to woo our wealthy Calpers retirees and other trust fund dentist types. Old houses in Japan are available for a song, tens of thousands and up. I've seen decent houses in Hokkaido near skiing under $200k. And I keep seeing articles about how rural European towns are struggling to keep up their populations.

No idea if it'll pan out, but I've been chatting with some friends about each of us buying a house somewhere cool - guy who married a Spanish woman can build a house on his inlaws property in Spain, etc. and then house swapping every 3-4 months or so. I mean, while a $600k teardown in Bellingham seems pretty epic, living near the beach in Spain might not be too bad either.
    Well, if you are young (under 40), then Italy is calling.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/i...cmd/index.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post

Would be pretty stoked to open a MTB / road bike outfitter / guide service in Italy, but I'm too damn old for this program

It's the reverse situation where the rich developers control the local gov't. Then it's urban sprawl and rezoning to accommodate the builders.
    Oh, I'm aware. But this is the wishful thinking thread!

Generally speaking, if you have some reasonable money, you can live comfortably there. Marry in, and then, gold. Euro citizen, and free health care.

Word on the street is Benny will consider offers.

Especially if she makes fresh pasta.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Word on the street is Benny will consider offers.

id try the 6er and sum weeds route first
    but what do i know im still a quarter century into makin the 1st one work
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Certainly wages for local government employees could go up, no?

I'd support doubling my property tax if it would mean local teachers and public servants got a 100% pay increase. Unfortunately nothing like that would be politically tenable where I live.
    ID has real strict laws about Government budgets increasing per year, usually capped at 3%. Thus to give COLA's just at the rate of inflation they have to rob from elsewhere in the budget. It's why cities in the treasure valley put building moratoriums into place during the height of the pandemic, population growth was insane but with limitations on budget growth services can't come close to keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    ID has real strict laws about Government budgets increasing per year, usually capped at 3%. Thus to give COLA's just at the rate of inflation they have to rob from elsewhere in the budget. It's why cities in the treasure valley put building moratoriums into place during the height of the pandemic, population growth was insane but with limitations on budget growth services can't come close to keeping up.
    And, ironically, it's the taxpayers of coastal states and cities that are funding the incredible inflation of housing in low tax resort states. Not only relatively wealthy California public workers with COLA enhanced pensions at an early age and inflated cash outs from expensive RE markets, but Illinois and NY metro cops, fireman, and public funded cube dwellers. I'm convinced that's why Florida RE is so pricey, too.

https://www.nj.com/data/2022/01/the-...-policing.html

A home I was eyeing even before it went up for sale recently closed at 200k over ask. Great neighborhood, great yard, and great bones but dated. Brutal market out there for buyers.

Where?

$1.5 M in Bellingham gets you a spec house with a rendering created in MS Paint
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15810508

As a gamer, this may be more offensive than the $600k meth shack

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1878128_0.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	402714

@Benny Portland, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    @Benny Portland, ME
    Now I remember your ‘thinking about moving to Maine thread’

Where in Portland?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    So if Im reading this correctly, a smaller government is needed to keep the income generators( aka new housing) from contributing to the tax base, in order to keep government…small?

Great logic

Christ, has any of those shoppers lived through a Portland winter?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    $1.5 M in Bellingham gets you a spec house with a rendering created in MS Paint
    And unless someone cuts those trees down, it won't even have a view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShepSt.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	886.0 KB 
ID:	402723

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Now I remember your ‘thinking about moving to Maine thread’

Where in Portland?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    West End. 1900s brick place with a yard, a garage, and some ivy. Ran across it last year on a virtual walk around the neighborhood when the house around the corner was for sale. If I recall correctly the other house was comparable in size without the yard and sold for less than half of this one.

I've been planning to move north for a year now but timing got shuffled for myriad reasons. Had a 'where the fuck do I want to live' tour lined up from Newport to Portland at the end of December but covfefe pushed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Christ, has any of those shoppers lived through a Portland winter?
    Anything you can do to get the word out that Portland sucks to drive prices back down is appreciated. TIA.