Page 215 of 274 FirstFirst ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 6838
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    It almost looks like it could be one of those nerd Tele-tech setups.... but not enough holes
    I prefer the term misfit. Nerds are too clique even for me.

FWIW, the insert issue I posted above was a TTS with Zed toes. But that hole pattern still doesn't look right.

Did any of the stupid fritschi bindings have a center mount screw hole? I can't remember. But the toes spacing looks familiar

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Did any of the stupid fritschi bindings have a center mount screw hole? I can't remember. But the toes spacing looks familiar
    Yeah, but they also had 3 hole heels which these don't have.

I've got a set of skis with inserts secured with g-flex epoxy. 2 of the 16 inserts are a bit above the topsheet after some use likely due to me mounting wrong, higher than I would like. I have removed inserts before using a soldering iron. If I heat up the inserts and then crank them down to the correct level, wait for them to cool, and reinstall bindings will that be ok? Or will the heat completely destroy the epoxy and I am gonna die if I try it?

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I've got a set of skis with inserts secured with g-flex epoxy. 2 of the 16 inserts are a bit above the topsheet after some use likely due to me mounting wrong, higher than I would like. I have removed inserts before using a soldering iron. If I heat up the inserts and then crank them down to the correct level, wait for them to cool, and reinstall bindings will that be ok? Or will the heat completely destroy the epoxy and I am gonna die if I try it?
    I just salvaged a bunch of inserts from a ski, the epoxy that stuck to the removed inserts did re-solidify and was a bit of a pain to remove. So it might work to keep them from spinning after torquing them down as you describe, but I doubt the epoxy has the same strength as fresh. But regular wood glue is to prevent moisture entry, and epoxy to deal both with moisture and spinning. So maybe OK? I would be more worried why the inserts weren't deep enough in the first place. Bottoming them out and stripping the ski core threads would be my greater concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I just salvaged a bunch of inserts from a ski, the epoxy that stuck to the removed inserts did re-solidify and was a bit of a pain to remove. So it might work to keep them from spinning after torquing them down as you describe, but I doubt the epoxy has the same strength as fresh. But regular wood glue is to prevent moisture entry, and epoxy to deal both with moisture and spinning. So maybe OK? I would be more worried why the inserts weren't deep enough in the first place. Bottoming them out and stripping the ski core threads would be my greater concern.
    TL;DR I was fucking up backing out the "install tool" enough to slightly back out the inserts. I've since done enough (this ski was mounted years ago) to correct my technique and my OCD has finally kicked in enough to try and fix em.

I would just file down those two flush with the top sheet and keep using.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Won't destroy epoxy but you'll probably break the seal.

I'd do just as waves mentioned. File em flush

Just wanted to throw this pic of some skis that came into my tiny shop for you all to enjoy. If anyone can identify what the triangle shaped holes go to I’d be curious to know. And also, please don't slather your skis in wood glue/epoxy to cover up old holes LOL. It make remounting a lot harder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642693515.393252.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	402033

If anyone can identify what the triangle shaped holes go to I’d be curious to know.
    Obviously those are holes designed for reducing weight

And also, please don't slather your skis in wood glue/epoxy to cover up old holes LOL. It make remounting a lot harder.
    Don't tell me what to do, you're not even my real dad!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

This is why I mount my own fuckin skis. The doofuses at the King of Prussia REI let my poor friend walk out the door with these fuckups. That's 20 thick business cards, by the way.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Easy fix or take back for them to correct…. Go get tighter/ stronger rubber bands to pull your brakes higher for tuning.

Go ski/have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Easy fix or take back for them to correct…. Go get tighter/ stronger rubber bands to pull your brakes higher for tuning.

Go ski/have fun.
    Easy fix, potential disaster and lawsuit if unnoticed. There's a reason you're supposed to be certified to work on bindings, and the assumption is that you'll do things correctly so your consumers don't go wreck their body due to bad adjustments.

If I had a tech do that to the binding I'd take them out of the shop. If only for the lawsuit risk alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    This is why I mount my own fuckin skis. The doofuses at the King of Prussia REI let my poor friend walk out the door with these fuckups. That's 20 thick business cards, by the way.

Beautiful work! Exactly what one has come to expect from an REI tech! Bravo!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Doesn't appear to be any glue around those holes either

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Easy fix, potential disaster and lawsuit if unnoticed. There's a reason you're supposed to be certified to work on bindings, and the assumption is that you'll do things correctly so your consumers don't go wreck their body due to bad adjustments.

If I had a tech do that to the binding I'd take them out of the shop. If only for the lawsuit risk alone.
    I didn’t say it was ok/acceptable…just that it was an easy fix for wherever/whomever he was taking it back to.

Name:	IMG_2869.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	402231

All gas, no brakes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

All gas, no brakes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

More like no gas all brakes knowing you...
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    More like no gas all brakes knowing you...

Name:	tempsnip.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	402238
    Imma gas my foot up your ass if you don't shut up

For the Nord in you:

I had two flat tires on 15 to 20 (?) year old BC-NNN skis, so decided to remount some old rugged touring skis that had been mounted for teles and inserts for Silvrettas.

Name:	Image1642813721.724400.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	402268

Balancing the ski to find center.

Name:	CC02BA83-3896-4319-81FF-DD179126347B.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	593.2 KB 
ID:	402270

Name:	Image1642813879.126906.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	402271

Center of running surface at ball of foot.

Name:	IMG_9893.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	402272

Name:	Image1642813912.193946.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	402273

Name:	Image1642813925.534725.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	402274

The backyard herd.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Won't destroy epoxy but you'll probably break the seal.

I'd do just as waves mentioned. File em flush
    Yep, this.

Plus, make sure the screws don't bottom out in the shortened inserts.

Does anyone hate the Tyrolia Attack bsl adjustment? Fucking drives me nuts. I like everything else about that binding but that alone makes me never want to use one again.

Was a worm gear really just too expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post

Re: REI mounted skis.

Yes it's an easy fix for myself or somewhat qualified mags, but unacceptable and downright dangerous coming out of an REI shop. Especially for someone who wouldn't have known any better, had I not looked over the skis beforehand. And no, they didn't even use glue lol. I'm not sure what happened with those skis specifically, but she had 2 other skis mounted by the same shop at the same time. 1 of those other two were fine. They had refused to mount the last remaining pair because the skis were 88mm underfoot and brakes were 85mm. Of course, they had drilled/tapped the heelpiece screws before they hesitated. So I finished up their half-mount and screwed/glued the heelpieces myself.

After this whole disconcerting series of events, we popped on over to the local (to me) REI and heard "holy shit, this is so bad" from two separate techs. The master tech went out of his way to redrill that fucked up ski (because a jig was set to the wrong BSL AND the wrong bit was used), bump the mount forward by +1cm, and plug the fucked up holes. Both techs mentioned that it belonged in their hall of shame, and that REI Corporate would probably pay for a brand new pair. So my friend called the OG shop that screwed up the mount, they called my local REI to confirm, and the OG shop master tech went full defensive/condescending. The OG shop master tech implied that the mount could have magically unscrewed itself, relocated and shrunk the diameter on the drilled holes, and made the glue disappear or some shit. Last I heard, they were offering to take the twice-drilled Mindbenders back, and cash her out for whatever she paid. And somehow, he wanted Legal involved...lol.

What a disaster. FWIW, my local REI's master tech is a pro. I wouldn't trust a single other REI though.

Mounting up some 207 4SK (with matching serial#s) but something isn't quite right....

Name:	4sk.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	402790
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

I'm ready to join the self-mounters!

Recently got a couple pairs of 2021 Marker Griffons and need the correct paper template so I can mount them up.

I've searched, but can't find it (super-jong-mode)... can anyone point me in the right direction?