Page 617 of 929 FirstFirst ... 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 ... LastLast
Results 15,401 to 15,425 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    skiJ
    i feel like i provoked this skiJ assault -- sorry about that...not my intent to deliver all this angst at you. The content of your posts is appreciated

all
    can we let it go?

of all the things to spend energy on, it's a bit misdirected for this thread
    Yeah, I hope that didn’t come off as anything more than “I can’t understand what you are trying to say, please consider standard English formatting to communicate your ideas.”

If a person thinks $712 for a 5 day course of Merck pills costs too much or $2,100 per dose of Regeneron is ridiculous then stick it to Big Pharma, corrupt bureaucrats and politicians by getting a $20 vaccine instead.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Isn’t PTO considered “debt” and sick leave not considered debt?
    Yes. Although PTO encompasses sick and vacation time.

Most companies have PTO or Vacation and Sick time.

State mandated sick hours are generally built into the PTO model.

People mistakenly think PTO is vacation time. It’s not, it’s one bucket of vacation, sick, and personal time all lumped together.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    If a person thinks $712 for a 5 day course of Merck pills costs too much or $2,100 per dose of Regeneron is ridiculous then stick it to Big Pharma, corrupt bureaucrats and politicians by getting a $20 is vaccine instead.
    ^^^ truth.

If you think defined PTO plans are bad, wait until you work for a company with an unlimited PTO policy.

From what I’ve seen posted at various times, everyone here appreciates the input from skiJ.

An analogy: a friend of yours is usually part of great dinner conversations, but for some reason one night he chooses to sit at a chair away from the table. People strain to hear him, so at some point it is suggested he bring his chair closer to the table. Nothing disrespectful about that.

skiJ, your posts don’t read like ‘lecture notes’. Your posts read like normal English that has been strangely reformatted into something odd by a software glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    If you think defined PTO plans are bad, wait until you work for a company with an unlimited PTO policy.
    My neighbor works at Expedia and has that. Says nobody takes time off. Weird, but totally based on company culture I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    If a person thinks $712 for a 5 day course of Merck pills costs too much or $2,100 per dose of Regeneron is ridiculous then stick it to Big Pharma, corrupt bureaucrats and politicians by getting a $20 vaccine instead.
    Where's the false equivalence police on this one?

What false equivalence? Aren't there lots of people, including corrupt bureaucrats and politicians, foregoing vaccines and instead touting drugs like Regeneron because they don't trust institutions and authorities?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I remember seeing someone talk about how the US could nationalize the company that makes the hepC drug, treat everyone, sell the rest of the company back to the market or original owners (maybe it was sell it back for $1) and come out way ahead rather than paying the huge treatment cost due to the markup.
    The HIV patients who benefit from Biktarvy may have something to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    My neighbor works at Expedia and has that. Says nobody takes time off. Weird, but totally based on company culture I think.

Yeah, companies who really want their employees to take time off probably wouldn't even implement the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Yeah, companies who really want their employees to take time off probably wouldn't even implement the policy.
    My BIL was pissed when his company transitioned to unlimited PTO. He went from being able to check out and go off-grid for vacations to always needing to be within arms reach. At that time of transition, he thought that was a principal intent.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    skiJ
    i feel like i provoked this skiJ assault -- sorry about that...not my intent to deliver all this angst at you. The content of your posts is appreciated

all
    can we let it go?

of all the things to spend energy on, it's a bit misdirected for this thread
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I worked at a firm with unlimited PTO for many years. I did take time off, but yeah. I naively thought it was a good benefit when I got hired, but realized after a couple of years that it wasn't.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Unlimited PTO at my current job works really well... since 2017 I've been averaging very close to 6-1/2 weeks per year of time off. In 2019 I took over 7 weeks off.

I understand mine may not be the "normal" result of unlimited PTO in the Uncivilized States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Unlimited PTO at my current job works really well... since 2017 I've been averaging very close to 6-1/2 weeks per year of time off. In 2019 I took over 7 weeks off.

I understand mine may not be the "normal" result of unlimited PTO in the Uncivilized States of America.
    I earn 6 weeks of PTO per year. That which I don’t take I get paid out when I leave. If I run too close to the PTO cap (where I might start to lose it) I’m strongly encouraged to take some time off so I don’t lose it.

Unlimited PTO basically means there is no safeguard for poor company culture.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Glad someone is doing it right.

unlimited PTO is not an entitlement, its nebulous and undefined, which can make it feel weird to request and you compare yourself to peers and higher ups and do what they do.

If you are allotted 160 hrs PTO a year you feel entitled to it because it was earned. Makes it easier to use.

Of course it’s all in our brains.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Glad someone is doing it right.

unlimited PTO is not an entitlement, its nebulous and undefined, which can make it feel weird to request and you compare yourself to peers and higher ups and do what they do.

If you are allotted 160 hrs PTO a year you feel entitled to it because it was earned. Makes it easier to use.

Of course it’s all in our brains.

That’s how they get ya

In the cradle-to-grave model which was IBM we just took time off if we were sick and somebody covered, we were all responsible for an area so it might be a real fucking mess if you stayed home too long but yeah it was a culture of can-do and git-ur-done or at least i felt that, probably came to work when I was sick and shouldn't have, certainly hungover

duno how much anybody else did or if its still like that

I should say that being made at 18 after 30 yars becoming a " ski bum " should be easy your would think but it was not really apparent what to do next , it was like doing a 4 yr program in dudeness
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Prior to the COVID household 3 week StayCation Lockdown I'd taken exactly 1/2 a true sick day and no unplanned PTO since 2006. Worked in retail management from 1990 though August of 1999 with ZERO sick days or unplanned PTO. 2000-2006 was a bumpy patch of several project jobs, and two layoffs, long layoffs. Did take some family leave when wife was really sick and hospitalized, brain tumor among other things.. Humm, odd that when there were legit serious medical situations I was usually one of the first laid off when shit got tight.. Those two 10 plus year spans when I NEVER took an unplanned day off.. no issues when there were layoffs. Humm
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

How often did you go in sick?

That's a hell of a run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    How often did you go in sick?

That's a hell of a run.
    I never saw my dad take a sick day his entire life... Been times I felt like death and just pushed through. Ibuprophen and lots of cough drops to get through snoppy days. Full disclosure, I've been home office based for 12 of the last 15 years. A LOT easier to make it though feeling crappy stretched out on the couch between conference calls than having to drive to the office and sit at a desk..

Fun fact, the last time I was really coughing and hacking at the office was late January/early February of 2020. Coincidence???
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to put in WFH hours while sick... go fer it. Personally, I think rest helps what whatevs. Just don't get me sick.

FDA panel recommends a second J and J dose for everyone who got a first one, 2 months after the first. They discussed but did not vote up or down on whether to the second could or should be an mRNA vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They discussed but did not vote up or down on whether to the second could or should be an mRNA vaccine.
    Does that mean it can't? Or is such a thing just "off label?"

Props to a client's HR department for getting the word out on this--email came out 8 hours ago announcing every employee was eligible for a boost. Bizarro World.