Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Anyone have a good smoked pork chop recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'd start with a 2" thick rib chop seasoned to your liking. Cook indirect w/ smoke at 250* until it hits ~130-135* internal, then sear to finish. Really just a reverse sear with smoke.

Smoked a packer brisket for the 3rd time--I use a Texas crutch when they stall and then put them on the regular grill at high temp for a couple of minutes per side to dry the crust--and for the 3rd time I started a grease fire with huge amounts of smoke. The first two times the neighbor came running but I guess he's used to it now. It still tasted great. I think next time I'm going to separate the point and flat and trim the fat between them before I smoke them. The point was a little undercooked this time which is fine because when I reheat the leftovers in the microwave it winds up perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2364.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	297721

First attempt at smoked salmon on the WSM went really well. Stoked!

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Cold smoke? What was your pellicle establishment strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2364.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	297721

First attempt at smoked salmon on the WSM went really well. Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Cold smoke? What was your pellicle establishment strategy?
    - overnight brine in salt, brown sugar, water.
    - spent the first half of the day in the fridge on a rack
    - smoked at ~130-170 for about 3:30. Some cherry wood. Some maple basting

Simple and awesome. This is what I followed:
    https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

TY. I debate between full on brining or just a dry brine, which I've had good success with in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - overnight brine in salt, brown sugar, water.
    - spent the first half of the day in the fridge on a rack
    - smoked at ~130-170 for about 3:30. Some cherry wood. Some maple basting

Simple and awesome. This is what I followed:
    https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

My gas cooktop shat the bed and is beyond repair (I tried... the "simmer control" board is fried and I can't find a replacement). It's an older Thermador 5-burner

So, whatcha got? I really like cooking and like nice things, but also foresee a larger kitchen remodel in the next ~3-8 years so this won't necessarily be my "forever" cooktop. If that were not a factor, I'd go with a new Thermador or equivalent, and would listen to Cruiser (I think) wax poetic about his Blue Star setup

What should one look for beyond burner power, aesthetics, and some nebulous perception of brand quality?

As a start, this Bosch caught my eye... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-80...56UC/304812426

[/Tech Talk Jong]

Chicken wings came out so nice with just a little garlic salt that I didn’t bother with any sauce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76DD882C-4E51-4AE1-9E91-FB36C5DEB2C5.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	611.2 KB 
ID:	301691  

@kuba Just get the blue star. You know you want to. My 5 burner setup has 2 26k btu burners that send the flame straight up towards the pan instead of sending 19k btus mostly up the sides like those sealed burners on the bosch.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    @kuba Just get the blue star. You know you want to. My 5 burner setup has 2 26k btu burners that send the flame straight up towards the pan instead of sending 19k btus mostly up the sides like those sealed burners on the bosch.
    Damn you.

Honestly only thing holding me back is not knowing whether future new kitchen will have a 36" cooktop (def won't be smaller). Alternatively I can just acknowledge that the cost difference is a rounding error in a remodel...

My current crackpot idea is to pick up an open-box from Mile High Appliance outlet, and they just happen to carry Blue Star (although probly not at clearance). So what do you have, if it's different from their regulation cooktop/range?

This. Early Blue Star adopter here. Closest yer gonna get to a real gas stove outside a commercial kitchen. Can be a little fussy sometimes, but rarely, and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

This. Early Blue Star adopter here. Closest yer gonna get to a real gas stove outside a commercial kitchen. Can be a little fussy sometimes, but rarely, and worth it.
    I know...talked to a guy at a Blue Star dealer and, for my wallet’s benefit, it turns out my countertop cutout is a weird size and would take a lot of work to fit one. I’ll get by with a peasant-brand stove that’s still probably going to be better than what was there before, and will go big once the rest of my kitchen shits the bed and I’m forced into a remodel...

Huh. We are in the early stages of planning a remodel and the 36" Blue Star range is actually less expensive than a lot of other 36" ranges I have been looking at. Not dual-fuel and not self-cleaning...does that bother you guys at all?

Less expensive, and it's WAY better than its direct competitors (Viking, Wolfe etc.). Never had an issue with dual fuel or oven cleaning. I mean, how often do you actually do that anyway?

I had a Wolfe 36 when the kitchen was remodeled (20?) years ago. Thing was a fucking turd and horrid to keep clean. It broke over and over again and after several years I convinced them to give me a new one at a discount, which I sold on CL before it even arrived for enough to buy the Blue Star. Blue Stars were tough to come by in those days and it took some effort to find a dealer in SEA. Easy now.

Yes, you will have to clean the oven once in a while, but you'll easily get that time back in how much easier the top is to keep clean. The competitors mostly have sealed burners - which collect, then cook anything that spills - but the open ones (like a true comm'l top) are the shit. Boil over? It drips down into the catch tray and evaporates. NO endless cleaning of those fucking porcelain burner bowls. When the all cast-iron burners get too crusty I throw them in the dishwasher. Done.

I would suggest configuring the burners the way you want them (an option that didn't exist when I bought mine). IMO the 2 high-heat burners should be in front, and I would probably have added a third high-heat burner if I could have. The simmer burner is terrific, the grates are height adjustable for extra control.

Seriously, get the Blue Star.

I use my oven almost daily and fucking hate cleaning it, so I value the self-cleaning function maybe more than others. If cleaning is a major consideration, maybe look into induction?

I've used my old man's induction range extensively, and I love it. As much as I like gas, I'm going the induction route when we replace our current range. The couple of minor limitations are well worth the quick heat and ease of cleaning, IMO.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Less expensive, and it's WAY better than its direct competitors (Viking, Wolfe etc.). Never had an issue with dual fuel or oven cleaning. I mean, how often do you actually do that anyway?
    Usually once before we sell, LOL.

Thanks for the insight...now something else to waste time about at work.

I'm no help as mine is just a cooktop as opposed to the full range.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Finally hit Franklin's in Austin - lives up to the hype 100%.
    Now I want to buy an offset....

Blue Star adherent here: stovetop. Great control over heat on the burners, some super low and super hot burners among the 6.

We have ours jetted for propane at altitude, so the super low burners are great for boiling.

Cleaning is easier and better for cooking than our Viking 6 burner stovetop as well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Finally hit Franklin's in Austin - lives up to the hype 100%.
    Now I want to buy an offset....
    How long was the wait?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    How long was the wait?
    I think technically ~3 hours? I got up in two as someone from my work conference had gotten there much earlier and his buddy bailed on him. It's a very chill line filled with people drinking beer and hanging out.

You people are killing me with the Blue Star talk here. One of the burners on my 15 year old 36" Thermador cooktop just stopped working and the first repair guy I called said he couldn't fix it. Gonna try a couple of others, but if it's not feasible to fix it then I'll now have to look at the Blue Stars. I'm no dentist but it sounds like it might be worth it for an appliance that I use multiple times a day.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    You people are killing me with the Blue Star talk here. One of the burners on my 15 year old 36" Thermador cooktop just stopped working and the first repair guy I called said he couldn't fix it. Gonna try a couple of others, but if it's not feasible to fix it then I'll now have to look at the Blue Stars. I'm no dentist but it sounds like it might be worth it for an appliance that I use multiple times a day.
    Ha! If you need spare old Thermador parts, I have plenty from trying to fix mine (this one). The only part that seems truly impossible to find is the control board for the extra-low simmer burners (what shat the bed in mine). Symptom was that when you turned the knob, absolutely nothing happened (whereas the non-simmer burner valves are mechanical so when you turn the knob, at least you hear the gas come out even if there is no spark)

PM if interested -- I'm in 80401. Alternatively we can take this to Tech Talk. Or just treat yourself to a new pimp cooktop

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Ha! If you need spare old Thermador parts, I have plenty from trying to fix mine (this one). The only part that seems truly impossible to find is the control board for the extra-low simmer burners (what shat the bed in mine). Symptom was that when you turned the knob, absolutely nothing happened (whereas the non-simmer burner valves are mechanical so when you turn the knob, at least you hear the gas come out even if there is no spark)

PM if interested -- I'm in 80401. Alternatively we can take this to Tech Talk. Or just treat yourself to a new pimp cooktop
    Hmm. That doesn't bode well. It's one of the extra-low simmer burners that failed, and nothing happens when you turn the knob (there's a spark, but no gas coming out). Though it's just the one burner - the other extra-low simmer burner works fine. Are they on separate boards?

And yeah, that's the same one I have (the 36" version, SGCS365RS).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey