Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Elementary /middle chools in Richmond are becoming some of the best in the state…not quite SB/CVU level but very close. MMU has changed a lot in the past 15 yrs I have lived here, lots of good things happening there but not quite as many oportunities as SB/CVU. I lived in Williston for 14 yrs and now in Richmond aince Covid, love the area for skiing/biking and low key social.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Elementary /middle chools in Richmond are becoming some of the best in the state…not quite SB/CVU level but very close. MMU has changed a lot in the past 15 yrs I have lived here, lots of good things happening there but not quite as many oportunities as SB/CVU. I lived in Williston for 14 yrs and now in Richmond aince Covid, love the area for skiing/biking and low key social.

Heh. Gentrification. I'll take it. I knew that MMUHS changed. [You should have gone there in the mid 80s, especially after K-8 in Williston... :0] Glad to hear that Richmond has improved. How's Jonesville looking these days?

I technically live in Jonesville but town is officially Richmond. Not sure what the reason for Jville is but it is a 20 min bike ride to “downtown” Richmond and a much more secluded feel. Biking and skiing from the door is pretty darn good.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    I technically live in Jonesville but town is officially Richmond. Not sure what the reason for Jville is but it is a 20 min bike ride to “downtown” Richmond and a much more secluded feel. Biking and skiing from the door is pretty darn good.

It's got a cool name.

I would find the community that people with kids from the hospital live . Student pier group might be more important than actual school district/curriculum in education.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I would find the community that people with kids from the hospital live . Student pier group might be more important than actual school district/curriculum in education.
    UVM medical center folks live all over the whole state. And some live over in Upstate.

Western NH probably wouldn't work as it's far from airports and decent internet speeds. If you end up looking further afield plenty of us on NH seacoast as well, where there's some great school districts and tons of hospital/medical including a few with ties to mass general etc. And a stones throw from Boston in case you need meetings/networking for tech stuff. That said, everything close to a metro with good schools has been snapped up quick here and in Burlington as many are making your move.
    It's all cheap compared to the Bay though.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Western NH probably wouldn't work as it's far from airports and decent internet speeds. If you end up looking further afield plenty of us on NH seacoast as well, where there's some great school districts and tons of hospital/medical including a few with ties to mass general etc. And a stones throw from Boston in case you need meetings/networking for tech stuff. That said, everything close to a metro with good schools has been snapped up quick here and in Burlington as many are making your move.
    It's all cheap compared to the Bay though.
    He said he couldn't be near Mass.

My school in PA has adopted a math program called OGAP from some consultants that are from VT…they come to our school district several times a year to train us in their OGAP math curriculum.

One lady lives in Barre…another lady lives in Richmond…nice program…it has changed the way we teach math to elementary students.

Interesting to know if VT schools use their program?

Just fled VT to NH. My property taxes are much lower per $1000 appraised value so don't buy into the myth that NH property taxes are universally higher than in VT. The closer you are to Boston, the higher the taxes but you don't want to be in that area anyway. Upper Valley (near Dartmouth) is a pretty desirable area. On broadband, NH spent a ton of COVID relief $$ on rural access. We live in an area that could not get cable prior to the pandemic (DSL or satellite were our only options) and we now have gig-speed fiber.

From what I know (friends that are teachers, friends that still have kids in school) in the Burlington area, the best school districts are CVU (Williston and surrounding small towns), Essex/Westford, and South Burlington in that order. Have a close friend that lives in Richmond and coaches baseball at the middle school there. He has kids that are in their early 20s. He does not speak kindly of Mount Mansfield Union HS nowadays although the elementary and middle schools are very good. Biggins teaches in SoVT but is very connected and can offer insights of the overall picture. Waldorf school in Shelburne if you're looking private/non-religious. My former boss sent his kids there and he loves it; his youngest graduated from there in 2020. Certain towns have Waldorf as a school of choice so you don't have to pay tuition. He lives in St. George so his options are CVU or Waldorf...hard to beat that. He used to live in Fletcher if you want to be a little more in the country and still have Waldorf as an option. Parts of Fletcher are 15 minutes to Smuggs but the drive to school and the med center is going to be brutal (that's why he moved to St. George).

The closer you are to UVM, the higher the housing prices will be and now is not a great time to be looking. PM Fussy Dutchman for info on South Burlington housing costs. Of course, if your frame of reference is the Bay Area, you'll find housing prices in VT very reasonable but the pay isn't going to be comparable. Have a close friend that's a nurse at UVM and she has nothing good to say about the management there. Have another close friend whose wife works as a nurse at Dartmouth-Hitchcock and she loves it there.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Interesting to know if VT schools use their program?
    Just checked with my wife and Burlington is not using that program. They are using another program based out of Williston VT. In the small world category, if the woman from Barre is named Beth, she’s a friends sister.

As for the OP, for the most part schools in the Burlington area are all going to be decent. There are some really good teachers in the Burlington school system so don’t shy away from living in town. There are still neighborhood schools for the kids to walk or bike to. By the time the kids are grown up, there will be a nice new high school to attend.

Gman you sure the wife (and you) is going to go from SF weather to NVT? 6 months of winter maybe difficult for her and the kiddo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Just fled VT to NH. My property taxes are much lower per $1000 appraised value so don't buy into the myth that NH property taxes are universally higher than in VT. The closer you are to Boston, the higher the taxes but you don't want to be in that area anyway. Upper Valley (near Dartmouth) is a pretty desirable area. On broadband, NH spent a ton of COVID relief $$ on rural access. We live in an area that could not get cable prior to the pandemic (DSL or satellite were our only options) and we now have gig-speed fiber.

From what I know (friends that are teachers, friends that still have kids in school) in the Burlington area, the best school districts are CVU (Williston and surrounding small towns), Essex/Westford, and South Burlington in that order. Have a close friend that lives in Richmond and coaches baseball at the middle school there. He has kids that are in their early 20s. He does not speak kindly of Mount Mansfield Union HS nowadays although the elementary and middle schools are very good. Biggins teaches in SoVT but is very connected and can offer insights of the overall picture. Waldorf school in Shelburne if you're looking private/non-religious. My former boss sent his kids there and he loves it; his youngest graduated from there in 2020. Certain towns have Waldorf as a school of choice so you don't have to pay tuition. He lives in St. George so his options are CVU or Waldorf...hard to beat that. He used to live in Fletcher if you want to be a little more in the country and still have Waldorf as an option. Parts of Fletcher are 15 minutes to Smuggs but the drive to school and the med center is going to be brutal (that's why he moved to St. George).

The closer you are to UVM, the higher the housing prices will be and now is not a great time to be looking. PM Fussy Dutchman for info on South Burlington housing costs. Of course, if your frame of reference is the Bay Area, you'll find housing prices in VT very reasonable but the pay isn't going to be comparable. Have a close friend that's a nurse at UVM and she has nothing good to say about the management there. Have another close friend whose wife works as a nurse at Dartmouth-Hitchcock and she loves it there.
    The drive from Westford sucks, I hate that road. Essex has potential. And if you are looking out as far as Westford and consider Fairfax, don't do it. It will seem enticing. It's a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    He said he couldn't be near Mass.
    My bad, missed that point

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Gman you sure the wife (and you) is going to go from SF weather to NVT? 6 months of winter maybe difficult for her and the kiddo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This is all hypothetical at this point. I imagine the winter would be the biggest obstacle for the wife. More of an info gathering exercise for me at this point.

All schools mentioned in this thread are fine, fine schools. Add Harwood Union, Colchester, and Essex to the mix as well.

Look up Proficiency Based Grading, then give your thought on schooling your kids here another look.

Great schools all over greater Btown/Chittenden County and Waterbury/Stowe/Underhill/Mo'ville/MRV. It is, after all, where the $$$ is.

Edit: PM indeed for any specific recs.

Vermont Mags: School me on School Districts near Burlington?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Just checked with my wife and Burlington is not using that program. They are using another program based out of Williston VT. In the small world category, if the woman from Barre is named Beth, she’s a friends sister.

As for the OP, for the most part schools in the Burlington area are all going to be decent. There are some really good teachers in the Burlington school system so don’t shy away from living in town. There are still neighborhood schools for the kids to walk or bike to. By the time the kids are grown up, there will be a nice new high school to attend.
    That’s her…

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Would suggest Waterbury for a central to fun option but the schools are really bad, like don't do it.
    Harwood is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Harwood is solid.
    I know a number of families whose kids had a terrible experience there. Of course GMVS/SMS have great placement and the connections your kids make would be helpful.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Interesting Colchester is up there on your list Their schools sucked when I lived there. I had friends that hated it, I didn't go there. My sister did 7th grade there and was miserable. Paid tuition to go back to Williston for 8th grade, granted we are talking about 1987 and a lot can change. Mom moved to hinesburg after that so my sister could go to cvu. I was technically living with my dad so even though I was in Colchester a lot, I continued to go to CVU.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    All schools mentioned in this thread are fine, fine schools. Add Harwood Union, Colchester, and Essex to the mix as well.

Look up Proficiency Based Grading, then give your thought on schooling your kids here another look.

Great schools all over greater Btown/Chittenden County and Waterbury/Stowe/Underhill/Mo'ville/MRV. It is, after all, where the $$$ is.

Edit: PM indeed for any specific recs.
    Proficiency based grading sucks green donkey dick.

Why not pick a town with no school and use and abuse the shit out of school choice. If you have the ability to be that free with your work schedule. The landscape here in 10 years is so up in the air at this point all over the state. You have tons of people coming and now people are leaving because of surge in prices and cost of living. Couldn’t convince me to live in Burlington at this point though, too many shootings and no one doing anything about it. It’s lost it’s quaint touch for a lot of Vermonters. NH looks better and better.

Lots of houses for sale again in Manchester area, maybe this place in danby too.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Couldn’t convince me to live in Burlington at this point though, too many shootings and no one doing anything about it.
    Jesus joey, really? Get the facts.

Are your neighbors over at Slate Ridge keeping you safe?

Proficiency based grading sucks green donkey dick.
    Not really. It's been pretty successful in the district I teach in.

As far as private non religious schools, I have no clue.
    The two other private schools in Northern VT are in the northeast. Lyndon Institute (where I went to school) and St Johnsbury Academy. Both are private schools that also serve the surrounding communities. There are room/board programs at each as well for kids that may want to attend from other parts of the state. Both schools are really nice campus experiences and have very good academics. St J Academy has deeper pockets and is larger (D1 vs D2 for most sports). LI being a bit smaller offers more individually tailored instruction.
    I know that there have been several families living in the Grand Isle area that have used their town's school choice for the tuition component and then sent their kids over here via the dorm program. I'm not sure if there is school choice in the other school districts in the Burlington area.
    On being "close to Massachusetts", even though the NEK is technically a closer drive than Burlington from the greater Boston area, it might as well be on Mars since everyone in Southern New England thinks it is soooo far away.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/