DIY tech toe inserts, anyone tried it?

Since CAST pretty much stopped doing it, has anyone tried adding tech inserts to their boots? For me, it'd be for low-risk sidecountry and for a binding like a shift that doesn't depend on tech inserts for skiing down, so doesn't need to be over the top bombproof. Anyone tried it? Thoughts? Terrible idea?

CAST has some videos on how they do it but it's more involved then what I was looking for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMDtDY6AAk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzfpBd72Ec

There was a thread on here pretty far back about grub screws and using them as inserts. Maybe search those words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vaguely recall Dawson doing this, some 10 years ago. It might be worth searching Wildsnow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Blurred was trying to add them to full tilts at one point, wasn't he? I think he was spancered or some shit...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Since CAST pretty much stopped doing it, has anyone tried adding tech inserts to their boots? For me, it'd be for low-risk sidecountry and for a binding like a shift that doesn't depend on tech inserts for skiing down, so doesn't need to be over the top bombproof. Anyone tried it? Thoughts? Terrible idea?
    Cast has not stopped doing this

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Cast has not stopped doing this

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    i think cast is retro fitting them into an alpine boot SPECIFICALY for walking up hill

as oposed to using them in a tech setup for the down ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yay for the search function actually yielding the info I was looking for!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=269906

edit: I'll be damned! That's not the thread at all. It's just blurred spraying about his conquest. Oh well, someone else can dig up his original build thread and take that trip down memory lane...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i think cast is retro fitting them into an alpine boot SPECIFICALY for walking up hill

as oposed to using them in a tech setup for the down ??
    Yup, definitely only the up. Glad you mentioned that.

Folks with illusions of a conversion for downhill use would do well to reread about the Salomon Quest fiasco.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Has anyone tried to downhill with a tech binder on a CAST retrofit? I hope not, but I'm sure some intrepid soul has tried it at least, and maybe didn't die in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I vaguely recall Dawson doing this, some 10 years ago. It might be worth searching Wildsnow.

... Thom
    spent some time going through dawson's articles on wildsnow. No luck regarding the DIY tech inserts, but there's a wealth of information he's written about, interesting stuff

I remember reading at least one story of a guy putting a teck fittings into a boot that didnt have them, there was some routering, screwing in the tech parts & slopping of epoxy, it seemed to work and nobody died but what would be the point when you can buy boots with tech fittings and have a warranty ?

the CAST people tell you their toe pin retro fit is just for going up hill so they don't have liability issues and they only do the toe so you still need a heel piece which is probably easier
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

With the ample amount of good boots with tech fittings out there, in both the new and used market, why would you want to do a retrofit like this?

Seems like high risk, for low reward.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    With the ample amount of good boots with tech fittings out there, in both the new and used market, why would you want to do a retrofit like this?

Seems like high risk, for low reward.
    Because I want a boot with no walk mode for the resort but has a tech toe for small sidecountry stuff. The Krypton fits me well and I've thought about buying the 2022 boot with the tech toe but $800 is a lot of money when I just bought new kryptons last season.

I probably won't do it, but I was curious if people had

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I did it to a pair of FTs* with grub screws a long time ago, like mtnwriter said. I don't remember the size or anything like that. Drill holes, add epoxy, insert grub screws, let cure. Once cured, take a drill bit and hone out the allen key side (slowly as to not overheat the insert from friction) until your tech toe fits.

If your boot has a hollow toe lugs like those FT Seths did, you'll want to fill that void with epoxy before you start drilling so the inserts have someplace to live.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    I did it to a pair of FTs* with grub screws a long time ago, like mtnwriter said. I don't remember the size or anything like that. Drill holes, add epoxy, insert grub screws, let cure. Once cured, take a drill bit and hone out the allen key side (slowly as to not overheat the insert from friction) until your tech toe fits.

If your boot has a hollow toe lugs like those FT Seths did, you'll want to fill that void with epoxy before you start drilling so the inserts have someplace to live.
    Nice, something like this is what I was envisioning. Did it hold up? Do you remember if you use a harder or more flexible epoxy?

Because I want a boot with no walk mode for the resort but has a tech toe for small sidecountry stuff. The Krypton fits me well and I've thought about buying the 2022 boot with the tech toe but $800 is a lot of money when I just bought new kryptons last season.

I probably won't do it, but I was curious if people had
    Cast can do this for $200

DIY tech toe inserts, anyone tried it?

Dude. $10 worth of grub screws and a drill bit. Do it on a pair of throw away boots like you’d do a mount on a 2X4. Then Do it to the boots you want once you know what you’re doing.

https://youtu.be/vC39ku85nAs

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Dude. $10 worth of grub screws and a drill bit. Do it on a pair of throw away boots like you’d do a mount on a 2X4. Then Do it to the boots you want once you know what you’re doing.

https://youtu.be/vC39ku85nAs

Yep, this is what I'm thinking. DO IT, great clip

I'd use hex drive, round heads, or socket heads rather than set (grub) screws.

Another thing to consider (before you've mixed up the epoxy and it's started to cure) is a means of measuring the "spread" of the inserts, so you can set the correct spacing, for the pins to engage securely.

I'd be comfortable with this for occasional uphilling, especially taking into account some of the lightweight x-c rigs we've all been on.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-25-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    Galibier Design

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Nice, something like this is what I was envisioning. Did it hold up? Do you remember if you use a harder or more flexible epoxy?
    Flexible epoxy I think I used Double Bubble IIRC. They held up just fine for the two seasons I used them w/OG Cast protos.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Cast can do this for $200
    Worth it. They do a beautiful job and the connection is bomber. Especially if you've never done this, don't have the right equipment, and don't have a pair of throw-away tech boots to scavenge.