Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DON'T LEAVE YOUR BIKE ON YOUR PORCH!

Or unattended in public on a car rack.

Or in a garage that's unlocked.

ETC.

I leave mine on the porch sometimes,

Sometimes I have woken up late at night. freaked out, went outside and brought bike in the house.

I am never comfortable when I ride to town unless I have it in one of those closed meatal bike cages
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Bikes get stolen here when people turn their backs for 30 seconds. It sucks.

I sometimes leave my garage door open when I go inside to take a shit. Sometimes I even get distracted and make a cappuccino or troll a little TGR pron. Five bikes in there, nothing stolen yet.
    But I live in a nice neighborhood.
    And I have really good insurance.
    Seems like the insurance part is advice people often overlook. Our country has the same problem with health insurance.

Oh yea, don't be a dick. That usually helps too.
    However many are in a shit ton.

We came back from Labor Day camping weekend to find that we didn't close the garage door. Nothing noticeable was missing, likely nothing. Still, you can take the boy out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the boy. I lock up anything I am not willing to lose. But that whole forgetfulness may bite me in the ass someday...

I went for a three hour mtn bike ride and came back to my car to find my door wide open. Nothing missing. I do park in the super sekrit locals lot, tho.

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for a new bike lock for my commuter... Any suggestions?

there are folks in my neighborhood who apparently have the ability to open garage doors with some kind of universal remote and are making a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm in the market for a new bike lock for my commuter... Any suggestions?
    I saw one of these the other day and it looks brilliant.

https://www.rei.com/product/115944/a...lock-2-ft-5-in

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    But I live in a nice neighborhood.
    "nice neighborhoods" are exactly where thieves look to steal nice things.

Why the fuck would a thief look in a shitty neighborhood to steal something.

Look up the crime stats. For most areas, the "nice" (read: upscale) neighborhoods have much HIGHER rates of theft than the shitty areas (which tend to have higher rates of violent crimes).
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

Why the fuck would a thief look in a shitty neighborhood to steal something.
    Because that's were most thieves live and they're too lazy to go far to steal something. That's why they are thieves.
    Most bike thefts are crimes of opportunity.

Yeah. If one of those sketch ghetto dudes started prowling around in my neighborhood, our well paid police force would be all over their asses in a flash. Whatcha doin here, boy?

We the crime stats in Canada don't support either of your assertions 1. That thieves don't travel to nice neighborhoods 2. That the cops can stop it.

Most bike thefts are crimes of opportunity if the bike is left out or not locked up in sketchy areas. However, in "nice" neighborhoods, the police reports of those caught show that thieves stake out high end bikes in garages.

A friend of mine did research on this for his master's degree. I can't find his thesis document on line though.

The inherent racism in your ", boy." comment is pretty fucking low, even for you Benny.

Who says the thieves travel? Maybe it's the rich stealing from each other.

I can tell you that it's admittedly "reckless" for me to expose my "toboggan" to casual passers by.
    I can also tell you that it's been okay so far and that any sketchy people coming through my very tiny neighborhood usually generate a call to the police and a posting on our neighborhood Facebook page.
    Finally, I can tell you that you come across as a holier than thou prick, whether you intended to or not. Several of my friends have masters degrees, PhDs and board certifications too. And I also routinely use them as vague foils in my internet dick waving.

College towns and neighborhoods where people are routinely walking through your area to get to another area. That's where maggot bikes get stolen, because that's where people stop noticing the guy who just dashed onto your property.

You get a bike stolen damian?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I can tell you that it's admittedly "reckless" for me to expose my "toboggan" to casual passers by.
    I can also tell you that it's been okay so far and that any sketchy people coming through my very tiny neighborhood usually generate a call to the police and a posting on our neighborhood Facebook page.
    Finally, I can tell you that you come across as a holier than thou prick, whether you intended to or not. Several of my friends have masters degrees, PhDs and board certifications too. And I also routinely use them as vague foils in my internet dick waving.

College towns and neighborhoods where people are routinely walking through your area to get to another area. That's where maggot bikes get stolen, because that's where people stop noticing the guy who just dashed onto your property.
    Well aren't you a sensitive little snowflake.

"Holier than thou prick" is your complaint? You're in over your head Donny.

This is TGR. You may be better served at Epic. Paging AlipneGreg.

Additionally, I don't think "holier than thou" means what you think it means.

My PhD is physics and statistics based.

Yours?

Have a day.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 04-19-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Yeah - context?

And, g-buzz jm2e, someone piss in your cheerios this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah. If one of those sketch ghetto dudes started prowling around in my neighborhood, our well paid police force would be all over their asses in a flash. Whatcha doin here, boy?
    What do those sketchy ghetto dudes look like?

The only thing of any real consequence I've ever had stolen was a car. It was found wrecked IN a gated neighborhood and traced back to a little rich kid who just wanted to steal something and go joyriding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Hell no. My parents taught me from a young age to not leave my stuff where people can walk off with it. They had some real nice wicker chairs stolen off their porch when I was 5. I had cars broken into when I lived in the city, but then I moved to a less sketchy street and learned to lower my profile to the minimum amount possible.

I just saw the other thread about serial numbers and thought I should start one about leaving your bike around.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I went for a three hour mtn bike ride and came back to my car to find my door wide open. Nothing missing. I do park in the super sekrit locals lot, tho.
    What is proper ettiquette for one who isn't a thief but parks beside or notices car door open and no sign of owner? I had this happen at local ski area, and we went with the "close door enough to turn off overhead light" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Hell no. My parents taught me from a young age to not leave my stuff where people can walk off with it. They had some real nice wicker chairs stolen off their porch when I was 5. I had cars broken into when I lived in the city, but then I moved to a less sketchy street and learned to lower my profile to the minimum amount possible.

I just saw the other thread about serial numbers and thought I should start one about leaving your bike around.

Of course not. Just tellin everyone else what to do to avoid a situation you're far far too above............of course, what was I thinking?

fuck bike thieves

in other news
    i always picture damian sanders with his all caps headlines like the self-styled weathercaster from nova scotia

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    fuck bike thieves

in other news
    i always picture damian sanders with his all caps headlines like the self-styled weathercaster from nova scotia
    Hahahahaha.

Knew about the wether guy long ago, but the association with DS is absolutely fucking spot on.