Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Okay, so what has TGR done now with the forums? This is Eldo posting and suddenly I’m guy on a buffalo?
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyonaBuffalo View Post
    Okay, so what has TGR done now with the forums? This is Eldo posting and suddenly I’m guy on a buffalo?
    Looks like a great day “guyonbuffalo” lol ��

Ssv skied well today too…r2d2 late opening kept the pow flowing till the bell. Spray was shredding great too leading up to the storm… March will satisfy the hungry….

Pano has been great this week. Dumping all day yesterday and then more last night. I’d say 8”+ up top. Lots of untracked after lunch today, and will be lots left for the next 2-3 days. We are here until Friday. Kids stoke level is all-time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5918.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	451884

Name:	IMG_5924.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	451885

Name:	IMG_5947.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	967.5 KB 
ID:	451886

Name:	IMG_5974.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	873.5 KB 
ID:	451887

2022/23 Canadian Rockies and related locations thread..

Our 5 to 6 turned into 21 not a bad surprise.

Testing to see if I got my identity back. There’s a hilarious thread about guyonabuffalo in the support forum.

Edit: Success!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Look across the valley, that's my playground.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Looking to head north to ski Friday through Monday (3/17-3/20). Can anybody help steer me towards decent snow? Currently looking at KH, Revy and Fernie. Anybody have boots on the ground conditions update to share for any or all of the above locations?

Last minute heli seats available at Eagle Pass if you want to "guarantee" good conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Last minute heli seats available at Eagle Pass if you want to "guarantee" good conditions...
    I’m listening! Any details on dates and cost?

**EDIT - call for earlier dates, as they have last-minute spots as well...**

(for the record, I am not affiliated with EP, but have skied with them before so am on the mailing list and heard about the upcoming specials. Highly recommend EP, as they run a pretty amazing program geared at higher level ability skiers/boarders...)

Booking Essentials | Eagle Pass Heliski (eaglepassheliskiing.com)

Day Heli

March 23 - April 2 - Select Dates Available
    Day Heli Packages
    $1,554 CAD + tax per person
    Regular Price: $1,924 CAD
    Save $370!

Lodge Program

March 23 - April 2 - Sunday, Wednesday or Thursday arrival
    All-Inclusive Unlimited Vertical Lodge Packages
    3-Day Lodge Packages
    $7,090 CAD + tax per person
    Regular Price: $9,890 CAD
    Save $2,800!
    Last edited by aragon; 03-15-2023 at 03:06 PM. Reason: dates

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    Looking to head north to ski Friday through Monday (3/17-3/20). Can anybody help steer me towards decent snow? Currently looking at KH, Revy and Fernie. Anybody have boots on the ground conditions update to share for any or all of the above locations?
    Kicking will hold the snow quality best and has the best chance of not being skied out. Revy is getting warm below stoke and Fernie has that R-word risk but ski better when fresh and have more base. Watch the forecast.

"A B.C. village neighbouring Jasper National Park has decided to build its own ski hill as a provincially approved project remains stalled.

The village of Valemount hopes that its ski hill will attract Edmonton tourists to the tiny community of 1,000 residents as the Valemount Glacier Destination (VGD) project, which was approved by the B.C government in 2017, faces challenges related to inflation, construction costs and pandemic supply chain disruptions.

The proposed resort would be located in the Premier Range of the Cariboo Mountains, west of the village.

Lack of investment into the VGD project is proving to be a significant issue, according to village Mayor Owen Torgerson. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ayed-1.6779763

What a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Pano has been great this week. Dumping all day yesterday and then more last night. I’d say 8”+ up top. Lots of untracked after lunch today, and will be lots left for the next 2-3 days. We are here until Friday. Kids stoke level is all-time.

Name:	IMG_5918.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	451884

Name:	IMG_5924.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	451885

Name:	IMG_5947.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	967.5 KB 
ID:	451886

Name:	IMG_5974.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	873.5 KB 
ID:	451887
    I clearly picked the wrong week to go to Palm Springs for a week. Great to hear you got the best snow of the season. Heading up Friday for the weekend and hoping to find a few of my secret stashes relatively unscathed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    "A B.C. village neighbouring Jasper National Park has decided to build its own ski hill as a provincially approved project remains stalled.

The village of Valemount hopes that its ski hill will attract Edmonton tourists to the tiny community of 1,000 residents as the Valemount Glacier Destination (VGD) project, which was approved by the B.C government in 2017, faces challenges related to inflation, construction costs and pandemic supply chain disruptions.

The proposed resort would be located in the Premier Range of the Cariboo Mountains, west of the village.

Lack of investment into the VGD project is proving to be a significant issue, according to village Mayor Owen Torgerson. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ayed-1.6779763

What a surprise.
    It took me several re-tries to not read "ABC village" as if someone forgot to remove the placeholder text...

the backside terrain over there looks great and the snowfall totals if true..just another Jumbo until something actually happens.

I love the Monster at Pano its just a big fat lil face with so many features, always feels epic dropping in with speed. If they put in a Tbar up the ridge instead of stupid cat rides it would be a really rockin resort, people could come casually rip that whole ridge and backside. I put the only track down Spectre in today through sharky waters, it's still kinda spicey in all the fun spots.

Loose pillows can instantly break off of old facets and sometimes you just sink with no base down to rock, even rippin fatties with speed. So meh. Pano still has some of the funnest techy cliffy terrain in the kootenays, I'll stand by it!

If anyone is interested in some real wild traversing, camping and descents around columbia valley ranges and panorama backcountry in april hit me up, trying to map out some of these spots a bit more. I actually think its a hidden gem here for non-sled access right from the highway

I can't understand the business logic behind having 2 snowcats that are probably $250k each to shuttle people at $25/trip up something that takes 20 minutes to walk.

I have actually never been up Monster. Because the cats pick folks up at Never Never Land, skiing that and the threee runs to skiers right I can always find decent lines. Jekyll and Hyde is frequently awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Times sure have changed at that resort. I remember poaching extreme dream long before that was even a run… I’m sure the facets are still the same!

Hey all - Thanks for the advice on my sidetrip from KH. We decided to do Revy over LL as it had received more snow in the preceeding weeks. The drive through Rogers Pass was a piece of cake and very beautiful.

We were at Revy Mar 11/12. It snowed the night of the 11th, so we had a great Pow day on the 12th. There was a Jr Freeride comp that closed part of the mountain, but still got into parts of North bowl and Greely bowl. Wow...lots of great tree skiing.

Were at KH for Mar 13-17th. Storm on night of the 13th made for great power all week. Finally got to do Ozone and hike into Rudy's bowl.

Thanks again! Ryan

Well, back in Ontario now. Boooo-urns!

Things about Pano that you need to know before you go:

1) The Après scene is total balls. Like, it just doesn't exist. Patio at the base runs an outdoor bar on Sat/Sun until 5pm. During the week it sits unused and empty, baking in the warm afternoon sun. You can get a drink at the bar inside and bring it out, but that bar stops service at 3:30pm - What The Actual Fuuuuuuuuck... You can of course go to the T-Bar, but this once-charming old-school establishment has been renovated and is now a cold open space devoid of any nuance. The pool table is gone, but the lamp above remains, indicating a time when this place was actually a fun bar. And, this bar doesn't have a patio, and is tucked away in the shadows, so what's the point?

2) If you are in to things like fruits and vegetables, buy them in Invermere before you get to the resort. The general store is sketchy for this. Found a cucumber and a bagged salad one day so that was exciting.

3) If it snows, drop in to Taynton on Heli High and keep working left. Next lap, hike in the bowl a bit, and repeat as needed going a little farther each time. Day 2, you can then hike the Monster and have fresh tracks for however many times you can get back there. Day 3 as well - this place is deserted and amazing at holding fresh lines.

4) Having a cat take people up to the top of the Monster plateau for $25 a shot is lame AF. Just make it hike-only or run the cat for free like Highlands. Or $25 for a day's worth of rides. $25 for one short trip seems.... excessive.

5) Grab a lunch at the Elkhorn one day. You'll be there a while but it's worth it.

6) Sneaky hidden fresh snow on the two black runs in Sun Bowl.

7) Don't be afraid to spend a morning with the Mountain Friends. If the 'blacks and moguls' group is small, they can rip pretty well and will point you in the right direction for the rest of the day.

A few pics from our hike to the top (worth it for the views, and the snow!):

Name:	01-Monster.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	836.9 KB 
ID:	452555

Name:	02-GetOut.jpg 
Size:	885.5 KB 
ID:	452556

Name:	03-GetOutPow.jpg 
Size:	975.1 KB 
ID:	452557

Name:	04-GetOutPowPaul.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	452559

Name:	05-GetOutPowPaul2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	452560

Name:	06-GetOutPowPaul3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	452561

Pano apres is terrible. Probably the worst of Canadian resorts tbh. KH is pretty bad too.

Someone was asking for boots on ground about fernie. Well it’s boots on tarmac at the base lol. Icey and tracked out everywhere. Even the top. The head wall has a few turns left in them but it’s pretty gross right now. Expecting snow on Thursday but doesn’t look like much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Pano apres is terrible. Probably the worst of Canadian resorts tbh. KH is pretty bad too.
    It makes ZERO sense. People are thirsty! "Well, skiing is done for the day. I can't wait to get back to the condo to watch TV!" said nobody, ever.

At least at KH there's an okay bar right there that will sell you a drink and a snack. And you're going to be driving back to Golden anyway, so lots of options there. Pano you're just sort of trapped in this no-man's-land dry county situation. It's the worst!

KH also has a general store well stocked in all things boozy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Staffing is a big issue with the resort.
    Not enough staff housing, nothing to rent on mountain cause air b+b, poor wages, rentals in town are ridiculously expensive if you can find one and the reputation for lack of snow doesn't help.
    Pano is many times a default location for kids if they don't get a job at other resorts.
    The resort has always tried to do to much.
    I've said for years they need to dump the lodging and f+b operations to companies that specialize in them. Summit hut, mile one hut and Elkhorn do quite well and are privately run.