Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

~1300g boot thread

Figured this corresponds pretty well with the 300g binding thread. ZGTP, Quantum Free, Fischer TransAlp, etc. Light touring, heavier freetour, or quiver of one? Tú decides.

Selfishly starting this thread because this is probably my next boot and want one thread to go to. Hopefully will get to try some on at least and will post here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thank you for making this thread. I'm tired of people recommending the TransAlp and Quantum Free in the 1kg boot thread, completely different class of boot!

Yup, I'm anxiously awaiting the boot dentists to start filling in the gaps here. I think this is likely the lightest class of boot that is going to work for me. Let the fappage commence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Yup, I'm anxiously awaiting the boot dentists to start filling in the gaps here. I think this is likely the lightest class of boot that is going to work for me. Let the fappage commence.
    I saw your post in the 1kg thread but I'll respond here. The only 1kg boot that will be stiff enough for you is the F1 LT, but it fits waaay bigger than the 130 XTD. Your best bet will be to check out the Skorpius (fits narrower than 102 as many have said) or the Roxa RX/Movement Free Tour/Hagan Core boots which I am a big fan of and I think they fit pretty similar to the Hawx. Check out the recent Mediocre Amateur review on youtube for the Movement Free Tour. The Quantum Free and TransAlp are likely gonna be much higher volume and not worth waiting for.

I feel like splitting boots by weight is less important than by how they walk and ski...but alas weight is an easy way to differentiate them.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I feel like splitting boots by weight is less important than by how they walk and ski...but alas weight is an easy way to differentiate them.
    I feel like walk/skiability is directly related to weight, are there boots you're thinking of that walk and ski particularly well or badly for their weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I feel like walk/skiability is directly related to weight, are there boots you're thinking of that walk and ski particularly well or badly for their weight?
    Hoji Free - walks like a 1kg boot, weighs 1500g
    La Sportiva Skorpius CR - walks like a 1kg boot, weighs 1300g
    ZGTP - does not walk like a 1kg boot, weighs 1400g

It is crazy the skorpius weighs so close to a zgtp. Otherwise they seem like a different class of boot.

I own both, and, as has been pointed out, they are very different boots. Despite the weights, the Skorpius walks a lot, lot better. Similarly, the ZGTP skis a lot, lot better. I think there's room for both.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    It is crazy the skorpius weighs so close to a zgtp. Otherwise they seem like a different class of boot.
    The weight difference in equal sizes is close to 200g. Whats crazy is that the ZGTP and F1 weigh ~50g apart in equal sizes

Is my bias real or imagined that La sportiva boots are usually on the soft side ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ive posted in another thread about how happy i was with the skorpius prior to breaking a pair. I'm not sure for my current usage I'll bother getting anything that walks much worse, but wouldn't mind a bit more weight if that leads to better durability. Curious about the fischers and the dalbello in this regard. Especially the dalbello with the ankle buckle.

I’ve been interested in the TransAlp for next season. The Traverse fits me really well (based on wearing em in a shop for a while) I’m hoping the last is similar.

The F1 is a great boot but can’t effectively drive most of my 110 mm+ quiver. It does fine with softer fatties like my voile charger 191s.

Guess I’m looking for a mid weight boot that has the lateral (and fwd) stiffness to drive my carbon GPOs for example....with low resistance walk mode. Range of motion in degrees can be misleading.

Ive posted in another thread about how happy i was with the skorpius prior to breaking a pair. I'm not sure for my current usage I'll bother getting anything that walks much worse, but wouldn't mind a bit more weight if that leads to better durability. Curious about the fischers and the dalbello in this regard. Especially the dalbello with the ankle buckle.
    I think this is the key. A fantastic walk mode is the differentiating factor in this category and I feel like it's the main reason folks are really interested in 1kg boots. You spend 95% of the time walking and 5% of the time skiing.

Yeah, but if I’m spending 95% of my day out walking to some skiing I damn sure want to enjoy that 5%.

Posted this in the other thread but there seems to be a gap between the Hoji-type beef boot and the Tuesday night rec rando boot that can kinda ski. The latter seem to have all sorts of shit that I don’t want to catastrophically fail in the field - BOA’s, complicated cuff lock mechanisms, etc. - even if they ski well enough.

Zero G ends this thread. Best shape. Walks fine. Skis excellent. Caveat being I have a tour wrap in mine.

Ok, I'll retreat to another thread then for boots that aren't close to 1500 g with a tour wrap, have four buckles to fiddle with, and walk considerably worse even before adding a tour wrap. I totally get why people want the ZeroG style of boot, but i guess i am looking for something a bit more walk oriented on the walk/ski continuum.

Can’t remember if this was with or without my custom insoles. 26.5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60253031863__269D0F52-6BCE-4434-86A0-840E67C3195B.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	367707

Ok, I'll retreat to another thread then for boots that aren't close to 1500 g with a tour wrap, have four buckles to fiddle with, and walk considerably worse even before adding a tour wrap. I totally get why people want the ZeroG style of boot, but i guess i am looking for something a bit more walk oriented on the walk/ski continuum.
    You probably need to start a 1150g boot thread.......

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    How about, “sub-1298g chartreuse semi-lean beef boot with >53.3deg ROM”?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So many different approaches to skiing, interpretations of a day of touring, and foot shapes. I’m an aging (53) lifelong, full time skier, using technique and gear to ameliorate my slowly and steadily declining physical prowess, and trying to hold my own with younger skiers.
    For huge days, covering lots of ground, skiing classic lines but not charging, and for my low volume low instep anatomy, nothing comes close to the ~1300gm Salomon S-Lab X/Alp (and presumably the related Arcteryx Procline, which with the added tongue might be my perfect boot). They’re only a bit lighter than my Hoji Frees, but the all day comfort (with LV protour liners)and walk ability has to be experienced to be believed. I’m choked that they’ve been discontinued. I can’t imagine skiing anything less supportive.
    On shorter days, and when I’m just lapping more technical lines, looking for more of the fore aft support and rebound of a hill boot, the ~ 1500gm Hoji Frees (I have the 110s) do the job. Their ROM is fine, they’re way warmer, presumably are going to be much more durable (my Salomons are shot after ~ 100 days), and the fit is a bit spacious (which I’m taking up with MV Luxury liner). Probably just fine as a do it all touring boot for many.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    So many different approaches to skiing, interpretations of a day of touring, and foot shapes. I’m an aging (53) lifelong, full time skier, using technique and gear to ameliorate my slowly and steadily declining physical prowess, and trying to hold my own with younger skiers.
    For huge days, covering lots of ground, skiing classic lines but not charging, and for my low volume low instep anatomy, nothing comes close to the ~1300gm Salomon S-Lab X/Alp (and presumably the related Arcteryx Procline, which with the added tongue might be my perfect boot). They’re only a bit lighter than my Hoji Frees, but the all day comfort (with LV protour liners)and walk ability has to be experienced to be believed. I’m choked that they’ve been discontinued. I can’t imagine skiing anything less supportive.
    On shorter days, and when I’m just lapping more technical lines, looking for more of the fore aft support and rebound of a hill boot, the ~ 1500gm Hoji Frees (I have the 110s) do the job. Their ROM is fine, they’re way warmer, presumably are going to be much more durable (my Salomons are shot after ~ 100 days), and the fit is a bit spacious (which I’m taking up with MV Luxury liner). Probably just fine as a do it all touring boot for many.
    This is why this thread should exist. Because there are so many different kinds of boots ~1300g! The X-Alp and ZGTP ski, walk and fit completely differently yet have similar weights. There is so much to discuss here.

Zero G ends this thread. Best shape. Walks fine. Skis excellent. Caveat being I have a tour wrap in mine.
    Nope,
    I believe the whole point of this thread is to discuss boots that walk a hell of a lot better than the ZGTP while still skiing well.

I wonder if people who think Hawx XTD and ZGTP’s walk “fine” or “great” have ever spent any time or long days in a boot that truly walks well.

Since you "ended" the thread with the zero g maybe i will

I guess I'm just maintaining that the zero g isn't the end all in this category, despite its relatively low weight. So I'm curious about other options at around this weight that walk better for poor skiers like me that can hang out in the backseat with boots that aren't as stiff as the zero g.

ETA: guess the poster above beat me to it.

When i take the tongue out of the vulcan its a great walking sub 1400 gram boot and great on the down, the product has long gone sunset after but still lots of life in my pair and the big one ... they fit me

I hear people talk about boots like they can fit in anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know