Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    First lap at alta was realllll good. Tower 10 tracked out in moments and didnt feel like working hard enough on day 1 of real skiing to jitterboot. L]
    Lot of folks making that hike today. I was too lazy though. I did earn 4 or 5 turns hiking up the shoulder from Wildcat. Is there a less bang for your buck hike than that one?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    First lap at alta was realllll good. Tower 10 tracked out in moments and didnt feel like working hard enough on day 1 of real skiing to jitterboot. Bet Greeley was $$$.

ASP up on the T today..bet it opens in the next few days. No ballroom or shoulder today either
    Yeah, could happen as early as tomorrow.
    Look for a lower high T line than usual. From the top of Race Course.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Thundersnowing in Sandy...must be dumping up LCC/BCC!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^^
    Usually has good info. Gondola up the canyon is on the table and being seriously discussed at higher levels. Estimated Travel times from base to the bird are less than people here are estimating. If Utah lands the Olympics again consider it a done deal. Bird is actively pursuing holding an alpine ski event in case of a successful Olympic bid.
    Alta's position in the CWC seems to be securing land for a sale. Can't understand lift up Patsy, when there's no lift up the Castle or East Castle. Unless it makes it increases value of potential sale. However a hotel and base lodge would be worth more but also cost more in investment. I'd be shocked if Alta has the same owners by the time Utah lands the Olympics again.

Get ready for a traffic shitshow tomorrow. Should be fun creamy turns though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^Usually has good info.
    Confirmed solid source.

A heavy toepiece deep coming back from the pdog. Winds are cranking.

Walked up Griz to TLP late this afternoon. 9990' N facing around 3p. Whomphing in the flats. HS 125cm, Fist hard to 1F down to 35cms from the past week or so of storm snow. 35cms basal facets from October. CT failure on isolation at the ground. CT2 at 110cms, CT13 95cms, CT20 80cms. ECTN.

I imagine the new snow/old snow interface from the past few days worth of storms will settle out pretty quickly. Hopefully the snow is getting deep enough that the October rot is already starting the healing process. Woulda been interested to put a thermometer in the snow.

What's that thing I heard about cold, unstable NW winds?

So is the northwest flow on? Heading up with my oldest daughter for ski lessons at Brighton. Hoping for some dry fresh on top of our nice base.

Be there early or be late. Why cant i ever sleep before pwdayz?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Went to Brighton instead. Got there for opening and did about 2 hours. Great snow and great coverage. No trafffic when I went up canyon at 7:30ish. Left at like 11:00/11:30 and complete shit show. Traffic backed up past Solli and cars parking up guardsmans and shoulders down past Solli. Also, many idiots parking wherever they want.

Overall “tallent” level was mixed bag. Lots of icon passers. Lots of first time at Brighton/Utah people.

Alta was much less of a shit show than I expected. Skiing was damn good and things are filling in nicely. It was my fifth day in a row and my legs were feeling it. Didn’t even make it until 1. Only pic I took was this one because I needed an excuse to catch my breath after the hike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3227.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	258070

So was solitude ruined by ikon? I will be interested to hear as the season goes on how the place gets skied this year compared to last.

I’m not sure it’s the Wasatch as most people know it but I was stoked

Name:	IMG_4510.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	258087

Name:	IMG_4513.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	258088

It was great for first day of December
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Surprisingly no traffic headed up LCC at 7:30. Alta was super fun today with good visibility all day long, lots of fun terrain open. Ended the day with a highboy lap.

Occasional rocks in the traverses, but things are skiing very soft!

"Were you not entertained?"
    Best day of the season at the Alta.
    50" base? And we had what two weeks ago?
    Yah man.
    Lots of whoomphing.
    Means post control releases...
    Watch your topknot in the back country 'til we quit loading.
    And then a little some.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 12-01-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Word is UDOT will be closing the canyon at 5:30 from here on out on closure days. (Already been done the first closure of the season.) This is being done to discourage people from trying to beat the closure.

Band aid?

smiles for miles, what a good start to winter. gonna be out early this week (and every week) so if any of you mags wanna do some start-at-five-end-at-eight stuff pm me.

Today was top notch. Winter is back!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Word is UDOT will be closing the canyon at 5:30 from here on out on closure days. (Already been done the first closure of the season.) This is being done to discourage people from trying to beat the closure.

Band aid?
    Shit, that is pretty wild. Have they had problems with beaters going off the road in the early morning hours?

Or is it actually due to avalanche danger?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    This has such a glorious old school feel to it. Love it. Looked like the touring crowd got after it today, tons of skin tracks across the road from alta.

Lots of stoke on this page.

Thanks ASP. Resort is too good to venture with the dragons. What month is it? Wait, what year is it?

High T sidestep from Race Course, whodaknown?

Anybody hear about Cardiac Ridge ripping wall to wall? or is that a myth?

Band aid?
    That sucks. If we can't beat the road closure there goes the country club days we hope for. I would think they would almost encourage skiers to beat a road closure instead of adding to the shit show at the mouth of LCC with people waiting for the road to open. So the question is can we beat the closure at 5:30 and hang in the GMD? I can sleep for two hours on the floor instead of one and a half.

GMD can't be happy with this, they make a killing selling breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I’m sure I saw you guys in there today. I think I managed 4 laps before being totally worked. So good!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Band aid?
    That's too bad. Although if you think about it from a safety perspective it kind of makes sense. One time when I was beating the closure last winter there was practically stop and go traffic, in the dark, right before they close the highway due to the possibility of avalanches covering it.

Solitude was fun, Summit chair wasn't open but got first tracks down Diamond. Best way to start a season is a nice pow run for yourself (OK, with my wife woulda been better). Seemed like a ton of college kids with Ikon passes there, and met a few SB transplants.

Rode up with head of lift ops @ Soli this AM. They said yesterday there were ~3600 tickets in use there. That was similar to big powder days last year. Of those 3600 about 2800 were Ikon passes. Granted some of those Ikon passes were owned by people who have had Soli passes or ticket packs in the past (like myself), but if today's lift riding was representative there are a lot of new to Soli skiers this year. Parking lot can only hold so much though and lift capacity seems greater than parking capacity so not sure it will ever be too crowded there. Just some info and obs for you all.