Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Wasatch conditions, chatter, etc.

If you were holding out hope for lift-served riding in LCC/BCC, the nail was just put in the coffin: http://www.cyclingutah.com/advocacy/...nwood-canyons/

It's largely symbolic though since it only affects private land and not FS land, and no one but Snowbird was even considering such a thing. But, that just makes it even dumber and makes me wonder why the SLCC was wasting time on this in the first place. Gad Valley is still fair game, apparently, but:

"Snowbird is looking into the possibility of creating a terrain park in Gad Valley as a follow up to the Big Mountain Trail and had hired Gravity Logic, a company that designs “safe, sustainable progressive mountain bike trails for summer resort operations,” to survey the area for possibilities. At this time, they have no concrete plans to actually build the park according to Snowbird’s Brian Brown."

I guess that answers the question in the 2015 thread about whether the 'Bird was going to build more trails.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-29-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Is this the season opener thread? Rough start!

Ogden bench is awesome right now. Haven't gone to the divide as I imagine some north aspects are still holding snow but 12th North is ripping.
    bumps are for poor people

Anyone know if Trailside is dry?

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    When I saw that article it seemed like a good enough reason to start it.

Draper is a full go based on what I've overheard at the dirt jumps the last few nights. Full recon planned for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Anyone know if Trailside is dry?
    Basin Rec's conditions spreadsheet was updated today and says closed. Seems reasonable based on what's visible in UDOT's Silver Summit webcam. A lot of snow visible above the highway.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Lq0/edit#gid=0

Ogden bench is awesome right now. Haven't gone to the divide as I imagine some north aspects are still holding snow but 12th North is ripping.
    South of 12th is GTG. The Rut is riding pretty well right now.

Rode Canyon Hollow-Jacobs-Ghost Falls-Lower Rush with Lynx (Re Wikstrom) this morning.
    Good to go and SO fun! I'm sure Clarks and maybe some of Ann's in the shade is still wet... and don't be the douche that goes where it's wet. Rush already had deep, dry ruts because of those idiots.
    you sketchy character, you

I rode Jacob's on 3/18/17, it was dry on the down, but a few wet spots on the way up (no big deal). There were some really ugly deep ruts on the North side of CC from guys that couldn't help themselves 2-3 weeks ago.

what ever happened with the Gondola Between Park City "Canyons" and BCC.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Ski-link. The locals wanted nothing to do with it, and organized to stop it, Which they did.
    Once vail took over PC/Can it was officially and forever DOA. They don't want their lunch money going to solitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Rode GW, up from Spring Creek. Still good amt of snow just below the fire road to get to stealth. Stealth down is in good shape, its going to need another week or two before the s and w facing is g2g, and longer for the backside of GW loop.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Coyote Hollow Trailead>Anns>Maple Hollow TH>Eagle Crest>Rush was $$ yesterday. 5 puddles starting on the ascent to Maple Hollow TH from Ann's, all avoidable. A few more on Eagle Crest (2 walking) Rush is running well but rutted.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Coyote Hollow Trailead>Anns>Maple Hollow TH>Eagle Crest>Rush
    I love that loop, especially if you add Jacob's onto it. Eagle Crest is underrated and rides great W->E.

My level of faith in people's ability to not be complete assholes is so low that I was actually a little surprised the ruts weren't worse. Draper needs to be more aggressive about closures and enforcement.

Anyone have the skinny on the construction at the cycle park and equestrian center? Are they actually going to build the mythical velodrome? Kinda bummed to see the old jump lines bulldozed. Taking out half the equestrian center parking lot is a bit of a head scratcher.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-20-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Yeah, wasn't feeling Jacobs yesterday, and I usually like to drop towards S Maple Hollow from there then climb back up to EC but it looked muddy down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Anyone have the skinny on the construction at the equestrian center? Are they actually going to build the mythical velodrome? Kinda bummed to see the old jump lines bulldozed. Taking out half the equestrian center parking lot is a bit of a head scratcher.
    Improved pull-through parking spaces for equestrian trailers is what I've been told.

If you were holding out hope for lift-served riding in LCC/BCC, the nail was just put in the coffin: http://www.cyclingutah.com/advocacy/...nwood-canyons/

It's largely symbolic though since it only affects private land and not FS land, and no one but Snowbird was even considering such a thing. But, that just makes it even dumber and makes me wonder why the SLCC was wasting time on this in the first place. Gad Valley is still fair game, apparently, but:

"Snowbird is looking into the possibility of creating a terrain park in Gad Valley as a follow up to the Big Mountain Trail and had hired Gravity Logic, a company that designs “safe, sustainable progressive mountain bike trails for summer resort operations,” to survey the area for possibilities. At this time, they have no concrete plans to actually build the park according to Snowbird’s Brian Brown."

I guess that answers the question in the 2015 thread about whether the 'Bird was going to build more trails.
    I talked to the Snowbird marketing crew at the beginning of the ski season and the plan was to start working on a bike park in Gad this summer. But I guess no longer?

Still seems INSANE to me that, with how crowded the lift-served skiing is, and how many bikers there are, that there is not a lift park in the Cottonwoods. Run that bitch on weekends and from 4-8 during the week and you will be rolling in the dizzough.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Climbing Ghost Falls--Why? WHY?

Anyone been on Vertigo yet this year? Curious if any of those big rollers have been made into actual jumps.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-24-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Page 3? Up here in the north, sight lines are non existent due to the abundance of growth from the wet spring we've had. The dirt is great though.

Anyone been on Vertigo yet this year? Curious if any of those big rollers have been made into actual jumps.
    Sorry about that. But slow down, man!

some great work being done on Timp foothill system. highschool teams being taught by some very active locals on what makes a good trail. hopefully they keep working together and side-by-side drivin kooks stop Trumpin it up for everyone.

snakes are out in abundance Ogden North of 12th. I saw a baby and a 5 footer on yesterday's ride.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Page 3? Up here in the north, sight lines are non existent due to the abundance of growth from the wet spring we've had. The dirt is great though.
    Happening down here too. The grass is 4 ft high in places.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sorry about that. But slow down, man!
    I just don't get it. Why climb such a popular and obvious descending route when there are so many better ascending options? Canyon Hollow and Potato Hill/Ann's are both nicer climbs. If you want a steeper, more challenging climb than those ride Clarks, which also happens to be uphill-only. If you're coming from Orson Smith or BST North it's way faster just to ride the CC road.

some great work being done on Timp foothill system. highschool teams being taught by some very active locals on what makes a good trail. hopefully they keep working together and side-by-side drivin kooks stop Trumpin it up for everyone.
    That's cool. What do you recommend riding down there? I checked it out once two years ago and the maze of unmarked intersections got confusing fast. Ought to be easier now with the Trailforks app, but it still seems like you need to know that network really well in order to piece together a good ride.

Is the Crest ready yet?

Ran into a big group of high schoolers climbing the lower Jacobs Ladder switchbacks the other night and said the same thing. I don't get it.
    Keep it unclipped

I just don't get it. Why climb such a popular and obvious descending route when there are so many better ascending options? Canyon Hollow and Potato Hill/Ann's are both nicer climbs. If you want a steeper, more challenging climb than those ride Clarks, which also happens to be uphill-only. If you're coming from Orson Smith or BST North it's way faster just to ride the CC road.
    Eh, it was actually a fun ascent via rattlesnake-ghost falls to get to Jacobs. I started on BST near the suspension bridge and I was avoiding Clarks/Annes because of mud. The road may be faster, but who cares? Singletrack is better than any road, any time. Also I don't think it was Clarks/Annes is a better uphill by any means, those are fairly boring, but either way I haven't even ridden Ghost Falls in 5-6 years up or down so I don't think I'm fucking things up too bad. Didn't realize most people go down it until you said something. Hopefully I won't even ride CC the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
    Ran into a big group of high schoolers climbing the lower Jacobs Ladder switchbacks the other night and said the same thing. I don't get it.
    Were they going to climb up all of Jacobs? That would be lunacy. There's no reason to ride down the lower Jacobs switchbacks, though. When you hit that spot stay right past the carsonite sign with the "No ATV" symbol on it. It turns back onto the spine and continues on down to the Ghost TH. Some fun jumps and a spicy off-camber gully section, it's a hoot. Marshalolson clued me into that way some years ago and I've been forever thankful.

I was avoiding Clarks/Annes because of mud..
    That's a legit reason to go up it if needed.

The road may be faster, but who cares? Singletrack is better than any road, any time.
    Meh, it's a dirt road, the views are great, and you never see anyone.