Hybrid Touring Jackets

Looking at picking up a hybrid shell this year and wanted to see what's out there? So far:

- Black Diamond Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell. Schoeller-type fabric on the back and under the arms. Waterproof elsewhere. A little baggy on the fit imo and I don't like the vertical pockets.

- Dynafit Beast Hybrid. Can't tell what's not part of the shell? The "non-waterproof" part seems pretty thick overall. I like the fit and the pit zips are really easy to articulate. I also like the hand / skin pocket locations a lot.

I had the dynafit chugach which is similar to the Beast. The waterproof part was starting to delaminate around where some branches ripped the arms. I liked the cut and skin pockets. Started looking for a replacement this summer and had a hard time finding a medium in a price I would pay. Tried a Marmot but the fit was very tight like it would be a mid layer and not a jacket. Ended up with a HH Odin Mountain which has a nice hood and skin pockets. A bit heavier than I would like but seems well made.

What do you want it for? For a jacket breathable enough to tour in, balanced with enough weather resistance enough to handle doing so when snowing and blowing (combined with an insulated waterproof jacket to handle resting and descending), I’m currently using the Dynafit Mercury Pro jacket. I like the long length, trim-ish fit, flexibility, pit zips and a helmet compatible hood. The Arcteryx Procline jacket also looks good, though with perhaps a baggier fit.

Arc'teryx Trino SL is worth a look. Running focused but gortex infinium front, shoulders, arms and some shoftshell material on the back/pits. I think Norrona might make one too?

I'm receiving a Ortovox Col Bechei jacket today that gets good marks as a touring shell.

Having gone through this activity last winter, seems like the best bang for the buck right now is the OR Ferrosi. I have that and the San Juan Jacket and I would say the Ferrosi is more versatile and about half the price.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I mostly tour in something like an Atom LT these days, but I am in Colorado and usually out early mornings so it's cold and dry even if it's snowing. It's pretty rare I even have an actual shell with me anymore.

I always have a light windshirt with me but that Trino SL looks great for this purpose.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

To be honest...I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for. I know for sure that a full waterproof shell is overkill, but what I want is one piece I would grab no matter what skiing up at Snoqualmie Pass. Rain, snow, the whole works. I hated doing the little what gear do I take dance.

I mean most of the time something like a Ferrosi is probably just fine but I'm kinda itching for something with at least a bit of 3L waterproofing on it?

I'm not really that budget constrained, I just want a piece I love. Kinda not jazzed about any of the jackets I have right now. Wanted to see what options are out there.

Not hybrid but TNF futurelight shit is nice for that use.

Have you seen this from Nothface? I think it fits all the bills...

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/wo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

The Trew Capow jacket might be worth looking at. All sizes on sale now, but only in bright orange and blue: https://trewgear.com/collections/men...-jacket-outlet

I got one near the end of last season and took it on a few tours. Can't say how waterproof it is, but breathability was pretty impressive. Unfortunately the sizing goes beyond steezy and ventures into tentlike; I got a Small at 5'9"/135lbs and can layer warm synthetic puffies with room to spare.

Or, get a GoreTex Pro 3L jacket and a wind jacket (Daddygonia Houdini, etc) and don't wear the hardshell unless it's actually raining. You will get wet touring in the rain anyway, but when there are breaks in the rain you are more likely to dry out a little with a Houdini on rather than a real hardshell.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    The Trew Capow jacket might be worth looking at. All sizes on sale now, but only in bright orange and blue: https://trewgear.com/collections/men...-jacket-outlet

I got one near the end of last season and took it on a few tours. Can't say how waterproof it is, but breathability was pretty impressive. Unfortunately the sizing goes beyond steezy and ventures into tentlike; I got a Small at 5'9"/135lbs and can layer warm synthetic puffies with room to spare.

Or, get a GoreTex Pro 3L jacket and a wind jacket (Daddygonia Houdini, etc) and don't wear the hardshell unless it's actually raining. You will get wet touring in the rain anyway, but when there are breaks in the rain you are more likely to dry out a little with a Houdini on rather than a real hardshell.
    I'm also hoping to have some dope skin pockets. Yeah Trew, Flylow, etc are just out for me fit-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Have you seen this from Nothface? I think it fits all the bills...

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/wo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/su...acket-nf0a4r4w

If you're ok with TNF this is probably the best jacket on the market for the described use

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/su...acket-nf0a4r4w

If you're ok with TNF this is probably the best jacket on the market for the described use
    Jesus that's expensive for something not Goretex. Also, no skin pockets.

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Sandstone Shield jacket. Nothing in the price range is better. I’ve worn it three seasons lift served and touring. Paying more is a waste.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Eddie Bauer First Ascent Sandstone Shield jacket. Nothing in the price range is better. I’ve worn it three seasons lift served and touring. Paying more is a waste.

+100, this is the answer. I think I paid $70 for mine

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

The Arc'teryx Alpha Comp Hoody worked well for me, they made it twice (hardshell hood, upper body and shoulders), softshell body. Don't believe it's in the current line.

Gamma MX hoody has been my go to for 10+ years. Not really hybrid but if you need that much wet protection you need a hard shell IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westcomb skeena or some of the brooks range pieces. OR alpha is good for stormy days and breathes well

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The old ArcT procline is the shit - waterproof hood/shoulders/top of arms and softshell everywhere else. Use it constantly in the winter in PNW. The new one just looks like a boring ass softshell. The alpha comp was kinda the climbing spin on the same thing. RIP both, it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    The old ArcT procline is the shit - waterproof hood/shoulders/top of arms and softshell everywhere else. Use it constantly in the winter in PNW. The new one just looks like a boring ass softshell. The alpha comp was kinda the climbing spin on the same thing. RIP both, it appears.
    I feel like hybrid shells are the best go-to for PNW midwinter day tours. You may get a little wet, but it protects most of you and you’re not planning to be out long so it’s worth the breathability trade off. I think it’s a pretty niche piece though.

If I was traveling a bunch or overnighting it probably won’t be in the cards.

Quick update. I've tried the following:

- Dynafit Beast: slim fit, non-waterproof panels are basically gore winstopper based on feel, non-waterproof panels probably have an HH around 5k-10k (guessing), love the vent locations and the pockets

- Black Diamond Dawn Patrol Hybrid: oversized fit (typical ski baggy fit and long), back panel is like schoeller softshell and very nice, but a little too broad and imo doesn't work well with the ski baggy fit, i feel like very breathable = slim fit because I'm going to possibly layer over it at the top, this seems more like layer under it from the start, i like the idea not sure of the execution, love the arm gaiters (personally), pocket setup is great

- Arc'teryx Procline (2021 version): oversized fit. like way oversized and long so can't size down because its too small around the waist then. just completely ruling this out on fit, imo they fucked up. basically gore windstopper (now under infinium brand name) probably an HH of 5k-10k (guessing).

- Rab Khroma Kinetic: regular fit (neither baggy or slim), pretty long, wish it had more pockets, the two big front pockets are great except they are open on the top on the inside so it's not really secure. seems like a great sidecountry jacket just wish it had a pass pocket. the venting strategy seems awesome and much easier to operate than underarm vents (similar to dynafit). Probably has an HH of 10k (guessing), tbd on the breathability but I might try this out this season and see how it goes. Probably less overall air permeability than the AscentShell below since Kinetic is supposedly just another expanded PTFE membrane.

- OR SkyTour (AscentShell): this fabric is an electrospun nanoweave (similar to Neoshell) so it's supposed to be very air permeable (different than MVTR breathability) while also being pretty waterproof. main issue with this jacket is pockets. WTF were they thinking? Two small chesties and two small hand pockets. Probably the most useless pocket configuration for ski touring (imo).

- Eddie Bauer Sandstone Hybrid: still waiting on delivery.

Any others I should consider?

Discontinued for this season but you maybe able to find this is the right size somewhere https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...logId=10000001

Love the feel of the RAB kinetic 2. It’s going to be my jacket that I keep in the pack (unless it’s drizzling out), and also for the downs that I put over my soft shell. BTW, Why not just do that? Get a lightweight soft shell and keep the lightweight hard shell in the pack like I do?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda