Experience with Salewa Mountain Trainer/Rapace/Crow

Does anyone have any experiences with Salewa's Mountain Trainer, Rapace, or Crow. I was initially looking at the Rapace as a winter hiking, backpacking, alpine scrambling boot, but I read some complaints about its waterproofing, which worries me as I'd be wearing it in the snow. The Crow doesn't seem to have that problem, but it might be more boot than I need. A lot of people seem to love the Mountain Trainer, but it's actually heavier than the Crow.

Any experiences? I'll generally be wearing these with a 35-40lb pack. Right now I'm using Millet Trident GTX approach shoes, but I want something higher for winter and didn't like the mid version of the Tridents.

The mountain trainers are heavy because they're built like a tank. They are very durable. I have the low version. Nice, stable mixed conditions shoe. Almost like a real old school climbing shoe. Comfortable if they fit your foot, Salewa can be odd sized. It would be best to try them on.

Can't speak to those particular models, but Salewa makes the best fitting approach shoes I've ever used for climbing. I have funky feet, beat to shit from all the years in running/climbing shoes and ski boots and my Salewas are crazy comfortable where Sportiva/Scarpa are not. Durable as hell to boot.

Have Crows. Have done easy terrain w/wo pack, scrambling and some climbing.

Fits me well. Tighter around the lower calf than most similar boots, which is great.

Light and nimble. Sole works well both rolling and climbing.

Do get wet. Takes a long time to dry out, like any other gtx-shoe.

Best boot I ever had

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk

I wear the Mountain Trainer GTX all the time, love it.

You might look at the Alptrainer mid too, I think it's lighter than the Mountain Trainer.

Picked up a pair of the Rapace over the summer, several day trips and one 5 day trip to the Pickets where we spent a day on the glacier with crampons. They were as good as any other boot from a water proofing standpoint and the fabric tongue helped with sweat management. However, I'd prefer a full leather boot for primarily winter/snow use. I will say it hikes really well for an "alpine" boot.

Thanks for the feedback. The Mountain Trainer lows look like something I would be interested when my Millet Tridents wear out, though they are a bit heavier. I like that class of shoe for pretty much everything but running and going out when it's really wet.

Hmm, the Crows sound good, sf, but I'm a little disappointed to hear they wet out. One of my reasons for getting these boots is for situations where my shoes wouldn't be high enough to keep my feet dry.

Right now I have the Millet Super Trident, Scarpa Zodiac, and La Sportiva Trango TRK at home. The Super Trident didn't really work. I really wanted to love the Zodiac as I like the looks of them and they seem to get great reviews, but they just weren't as comfortable as the Trango TRKs, which are amazingly comfortable but I'm worried a bit about durability and waterproofing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The Mountain Trainer lows look like something I would be interested when my Millet Tridents wear out, though they are a bit heavier. I like that class of shoe for pretty much everything but running and going out when it's really wet.

Hmm, the Crows sound good, sf, but I'm a little disappointed to hear they wet out. One of my reasons for getting these boots is for situations where my shoes wouldn't be high enough to keep my feet dry.

Right now I have the Millet Super Trident, Scarpa Zodiac, and La Sportiva Trango TRK at home. The Super Trident didn't really work. I really wanted to love the Zodiac as I like the looks of them and they seem to get great reviews, but they just weren't as comfortable as the Trango TRKs, which are amazingly comfortable but I'm worried a bit about durability and waterproofing.
    To specify. They get wet due to snow working their way in from the top. I think the shoes work pretty well if you can avoid that. Ie gaiters or pants pulled properly over.

I've never avoided this problem with a boot this low. And that's why I tend to avoid thicker boots at work.

For every thing else, they are great

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    To specify. They get wet due to snow working their way in from the top. I think the shoes work pretty well if you can avoid that. Ie gaiters or pants pulled properly over.

I've never avoided this problem with a boot this low. And that's why I tend to avoid thicker boots at work.

For every thing else, they are great
    Oh, got it. I thought you meant they were getting wet from moisture coming in through the tongue. Thanks!

I've worn nothing but Salewa's (shoe wise) for the past few years.
    Great shoes, good construction and design.
    I've worn the Mountain Trainers and MS Firetrail EVO which are awesome but not the other two models you mention.
    Mountain Trainers have the support of a boot, but with low top.

Would recommend.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I've worn nothing but Salewa's (shoe wise) for the past few years.
    Great shoes, good construction and design.
    I've worn the Mountain Trainers and MS Firetrail EVO which are awesome but not the other two models you mention.
    Mountain Trainers have the support of a boot, but with low top.

Would recommend.
    I always knew you had good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I always knew you had good taste.

Champagne taste, beer budget.

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

The mountain trainers just chewed my heels. They fit properly and I never had that issue before. Lots had the same complaint. Ironic with their whole blister guarantee. of and the sole was nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    The mountain trainers just chewed my heels. They fit properly and I never had that issue before. Lots had the same complaint. Ironic with their whole blister guarantee. of and the sole was nothing special.
    I had a pair of low Salewas a few years back. Chewed my heels up after just a few kilometers. Sure it had something to do with that wire-solution they have. On my Crows the wire crosses the back of the heel a bit higher = no problem.

I bought the Crows. I'll try them on and see how they feel. If they fit well, they'd give me something more different from my current shoes than the Mountain trainer. If they don't feel great, I think I'll just go with the Last Sportiva Trango TRKs and see how they hold up.