Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Staying dry inbounds all day?

Hi guys, thinking about skiing and the thought crossed my mind, I am always icky wet.

I always run hot while moving and I can get pretty cold on a lift.

Usually I wear a Nike running half zip and a goretex shell. Seems like there is no where for the moisture to go. Am I missing the plot on having a diaper layer to absorb the sweat?

Any good suggestions? Maybe a merino layer would help...
    I just hope there isn't TOO much powder.

Is goretex necessary where you ski? If not consider a soft shell which breathes much better.

Be bold. Start cold.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

just stay in the bar, don't spil yer drink and you will be dry eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Be bold. Start cold.
    This, so many pussies dressing like they are sitting in the stands watching races. And when I was last weekend I layered up with a down jacket and was toasty.
    Nike running? like a sweat suit? lol
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

So far so good. He snark factor is rated < 100 percent !

I took a look at Free Ride ... looks cool

Where's your home mountain? PNW is different than continental is different than NE.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I will give you a 100 fucking % headsup on what the newbies wear up here and its insulated onsie carhartts or snow mobile suits which wroks fine until their kids won't be seen with them in public wearing that stuff at which point they get real ski wear which means shitty stuff from the mega retailer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Join date of 10/2001?!!!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Not all Gor Tex is created equal. Look at Blister's Outerwear 101.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Your shell doesn’t have under arm zippers?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Join date of 10/2001?!!!
    I saw that too! An account almost old enough to vote...

Patagonia nano puff for a mid layer is pretty great...

Quote Originally Posted by roll - gybe View Post

I always run hot while moving and I can get pretty cold on a lift.

Usually I wear a Nike running half zip and a goretex shell.
    Are you saying just a nike base layer and a GTX Shell? is that GTX piece insulated? Where are you riding?

I also put off a lot of heat once I get moving, so the sweat problem can be real for me.

It's ALMOST sounds like your sweating out that one nike layer (if that's all you're wearing under that shell), so that when you're on the lift all the moisture is cooling you too much. On some warmer days I will just do a routine of unzipping my vents before I get off the lift so you start to get that cold seep in before you heat up. Then the zips close back up in line or after I get on a chair.

If that shell is insulated it's basically not going to breath well/ you may be over insulating. Causing too much sweat...that leads to being colder.

I always advocate for putting a thin whicking base layer (it can have no insulation value) between your body and your insulation layer. Just by moving the moisture away from your skin you will reduce conductive cooling.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

So far so good. He snark factor is rated < 100 percent !

I took a look at Free Ride ... looks cool
    I sweat a shitload and always freeze on the lift. Freeride systems soft shell and you won't even feel the sweat. Definitely balances out the lift/ski temp equation for me.

Check the Freeride threads for discount codes.

Nike?!?!

You shoulda bought the Adidas bro!

NeoShell?

Rereading it, it sounds like the Nike is a base layer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yeah ... was more active on the old board!

Yes, thanks for the response Nomad.

It’s a base/next to skin layer. I mention Nike because I used to work in a ski shop many years ago and I became very aware of how undifferentiated all the products were. A polyester wicking layer is a polyester sucking layer. A 68mm was a 68mm ski, no matter what a BS a rep came in with. Nike just fits my long arms unlike Patagonia for example. (Per the sweatsuit comment I haven’t skied in cotton since bashing Outer Limits in my candy cane Marker sweatshirt in 1994 - way past the point of coolness for that sweatshirt, but I bought it on closeout, having lusted over it for years)

Anyway...
    It takes me 20 minutes of activity to completely saturate my base layers; usually with pit zipps open. When I’m skiing down I am steaming hot. On the lift I am cold. Back down I am hot and wet.

Typically skiing JH and Alta.

I did try a soft shell once, it didn’t have a hood though, and I got cold, fit was too tight. I could try again.

I gave up the insulation layer after getting too hot - but then I made that decision after trying a light puff vest I could stuff into my pocket. Probably a poor conductor of sweat as well. The thought was at least if I got really hot I could lose the layer easily.

Staying dry inbounds all day?

Sounds like you need a shell that breaths better.
    I’ve only heard positive feedbacks about FreeRideSystems.
    Maybe it is time to invest on some new gear.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Maybe it is time to invest on some new gear.
    ^^^This. If you are still wearing the same type of poly layer when 68mm skis were the rage, it’s time to look into the newer weaves, current soft shell materials, etc.

+1 for Freeride Systems. I’ve got 2 of their jackets and two of their base layers and they are great.

Is your shell from 2001, too?

Yes, thanks for the response Nomad.

It’s a base/next to skin layer. I mention Nike because I used to work in a ski shop many years ago and I became very aware of how undifferentiated all the products were. A polyester wicking layer is a polyester sucking layer. A 68mm was a 68mm ski, no matter what a BS a rep came in with. Nike just fits my long arms unlike Patagonia for example. (Per the sweatsuit comment I haven’t skied in cotton since bashing Outer Limits in my candy cane Marker sweatshirt in 1994 - way past the point of coolness for that sweatshirt, but I bought it on closeout, having lusted over it for years)

Anyway...
    It takes me 20 minutes of activity to completely saturate my base layers; usually with pit zipps open. When I’m skiing down I am steaming hot. On the lift I am cold. Back down I am hot and wet.

Typically skiing JH and Alta.

I did try a soft shell once, it didn’t have a hood though, and I got cold, fit was too tight. I could try again.

I gave up the insulation layer after getting too hot - but then I made that decision after trying a light puff vest I could stuff into my pocket. Probably a poor conductor of sweat as well. The thought was at least if I got really hot I could lose the layer easily.
    Could just be your physiology, but getting fitter and developing a more efficient ski technique might make a difference. A system that will maximize breathability and drying would consist of a thin body hugging polyester base-layer, an open weave fleece mid-layer (or one of these new active insulation products) and a highly breathable shell Performance does vary greatly between products, though I expect the base layer is going to have the greatest impact on how you feel. Check out https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...long-underwear for some comparisons.

So I'm a big sweater too and I found that a highly breathable (read: backcountry oriented) shell makes a big difference. For example, I have a FlyLow Labcoat shell and have found it really helps... especially when hiking at the resort. A thin, light mid layer also helps to absorb some of that sweat that your base layer is wicking away from your body.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So I'm a big sweater too and I found that a highly breathable (read: backcountry oriented) shell makes a big difference. For example, I have a FlyLow Labcoat shell and have found it really helps... especially when hiking at the resort. A thin, light mid layer also helps to absorb some of that sweat that your base layer is wicking away from your body.
    I'd second this. I'd also suggest looking at the BD hybrid hoody or something similar as a mid-layer—insulation on the shoulders, chest, arms and upper back, uninsulated merino on the lower back and underarms. Combine that with an uninsulated and highly breathable shell (i.e. current-gen Gore Tex Pro or the like) and you'll probably be somewhat better off. Ultimately, though, if you're alternating three-to-five minute periods of high-output activity with five-to-fifteen-minute periods of no activity, dressing is going to be hard. My general preference is to deal with being slightly cold on the lift, but that plan could lead to hypothermia if you end up sitting there for thirty minutes waiting for evac or sitting on the snow for half an hour waiting for patrol.

Also, YMMV, but I find merino base layers to be far better than poly ones for "work hard, sweat a little, and sit around" duty.