Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    You don't want to know.

We can learn from other's mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fitness decline with age is highly dependent on genetics, among all the other things mentioned. It's also highly dependent on injury--acute injury which prevents people from maintaining fitness, which is increasing difficult to regain as one ages, and chronic injury which permanently prevents or limits exercise. Of course one of the biggest factors in injury, especially as one ages, is overtraining.
    Yeah, back injuries really screw you over. I have a lot of sympathy for folks with any back issue. It can flair up out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Unless you're fucking other guys...or really fat chicks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    So, not really fat, more like, perfect booty, all the curves, but, chunky. That ok? It's a fine line these days.

70% would imply that Benny is 30 or so, if in fact that is his true maximum heart rate. I'm guessing that 135 is his maximum sustained heart rate, which is usually around 80% of MHR, which seems reasonably fit for a guy I assume is late middle age. MHR is what you're doing just before the French ladies kiss you and give you flowers, while the guy with the yellow journey is taking it easy (relatively).
    Putting someone on an exercise bike and having them pedal as hard as they can while measuring their VO2max and MHR is one thing; putting them on a bike on the road for 20 or 50 or 120 miles is another.

Fitness decline with age is highly dependent on genetics, among all the other things mentioned. It's also highly dependent on injury--acute injury which prevents people from maintaining fitness, which is increasing difficult to regain as one ages, and chronic injury which permanently prevents or limits exercise. Of course one of the biggest factors in injury, especially as one ages, is overtraining.
    So much truth. Should be a chapter in the Bible.
    The Bible of Life, not that other one.
    And over training is truly a bitch. An ego gobbling bitch.

70% would imply that Benny is 30 or so, if in fact that is his true maximum heart rate. I'm guessing that 135 is his maximum sustained heart rate, which is usually around 80% of MHR, which seems reasonably fit for a guy I assume is late middle age. MHR is what you're doing just before the French ladies kiss you and give you flowers, while the guy with the yellow journey is taking it easy (relatively).
    Putting someone on an exercise bike and having them pedal as hard as they can while measuring their VO2max and MHR is one thing; putting them on a bike on the road for 20 or 50 or 120 miles is another.

Sure. I suppose it’s a bad idea to push above 80% but HIT is a good way to maintain strength and fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Sure. I suppose it’s a bad idea to push above 80% but HIT is a good way to maintain strength and fitness.
    Overtraining is not acute. It’s a lack of appropriate rest, and the higher levels you are training at the more likely it is to snag you. And it feels like shit.

But I would venture to say 99.99% of the population of the USA will never actually overtrain.

Work up to it slowly, but I believe in getting your heart rate high. Very high now and then. I plan on still maxing out in the 180s at 60+.

Heart rate is variable however. My lovely wife has a resting heart rate around 38-42 and typically maxes out in the 140s. She is an efficient little fucker.

Again, either use it or lose it. It is very hard to get back up to high levels once you lose it after 45.

And please, if someone is out there getting the work in I don’t care if they are roller skating in shopping centers: good for them. Don’t give them shit. They are doing better than the vast majority of our population.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, not really fat, more like, perfect booty, all the curves, but, chunky.
    No, I wasn't referring to you.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I don't know that there's any problem pushing heart rate to max if you're young, non smoker, no family history of premature cardiovascular disease. It's more a question of how long your legs or whatever can maintain the level of activity that requires that high of a HR. For me--my dad had his first heart attack at 40, brother at 35, and my aortic valve a little narrow--I'll stay at 80%, and I can't do that for long, but then I'm on a beta blocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Work up to it slowly, but I believe in getting your heart rate high. Very high now and then. I plan on still maxing out in the 180s at 60+.
    What you plan is irrelevant. Your max heart rate will slow with age no matter how hard you work at fitness. The heart ages. Heart muscle has no ability to regenerate. The heart cells you're born with are the ones you'll die with. (The cells grow in size as you go from birth to maturity but no new cells appear.) Of course it will slow more if you don't work at it.

My physiology prof had an interesting story. His friend was an ex all American middle distance runner with 2 sons--one also an elite runner, the other an elite violinist. The two college age sons had the same VO2max.

Heart stress tests on a treadmill are sometimes used to evaluate people for big surgery. It turns out that someone who reaches target heart rate (80% of max for age and whose EKG shows blockage of one or more coronary arteries is a much better risk for surgery than someone who can't reach target whose EKG remains normal. In other words--fitness is a better predictor of survival than absence of heart disease.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    How long and hard you can fuck is the only true measure of health.
    Without help from pills.
    If you see Alice tell her i'm ready to go
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I What you plan is irrelevant. Your max heart rate will slow with age no matter how hard you work at fitness. The heart ages. Heart muscle has no ability to regenerate. The heart cells you're born with are the ones you'll die with. (The cells grow in size as you go from birth to maturity but no new cells appear.) Of course it will slow more if you don't work at it..
    Fair. But I know my age. I know my max heart rate. I know the rate it should slow at if I stay in the same level of fitness I’m currently in. And I believe I should be able to get to that point if I don’t stop training at this level. Obviously nothing is for certain and injuries, such as the damn stitches I just got in my kneecap from a mtn bike crash, can easily derail you as you get older.

But it’s motivation and it’s within reasonable parameters based on current stats.

So that’s the plan.

Individual heart rate numbers don't matter much and there isn't much you can do to increase your max if you are somewhat fit. And it will drop as you age. What does matter, and what you can change, is how your body functions at certain percentages of that max. You can train your aerobic threshold (% of max at which you are relying almost entirely on the aerobic pathway/ use fat as fuel/ breathe easily while moving) and lactate threshold (% percentage of max at which you can sustain effort for 30-60 minutes, which also happens to be the level of exertion at which you can process/remove lactate at the same level you produce it). You can test these thresholds and they will move, slightly, but very meaningfully, as you build an aerobic base AND, interestingly, as you lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, not really fat, more like, perfect booty, all the curves, but, chunky. That ok? It's a fine line these days.
    I think the hip, cool, with-it way to describe this is "thicc" or "T H I C C". But that's just what I've learned on the internet.

I got hurt pretty bad in December '17, and basically did nothing for 6 months. It was weird trying to start working out again, because it was fucking shocking how out of shape I was. And until I tried to work out I hadn't even realized, it had just been a gradual disintegration I guess.

So since then, even though my hips are fried, I've been pretty much busting ass. Living right (mostly), eating right, etc etc. And it's been fucking shocking how long it has taken things to respond. Finally, now, in the past few days, after a year, I'm really starting to feel right. Feeling strong and good.

So I am about to get hurt or sick very soon. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I plan on still maxing out in the 180s at 60+.

Pretty easy. Trust me on that one..

President Trump believes there's only a pre-ordained number of beats your heart is capable of, so he doesn't exercise because it speeds up his heart which means he'll die sooner.

So keep that in mind, I guess.

^^^ Can we put that fuckwit on a treadmill and get it over with?

Athletic performance in your 40s?

Take the PA bullshit where it belongs fuckers.

You guys are doing it wrong

Woke up got a blow job from as girl ten years younger than me

Four hr mtn bike ride
    Plenty of weed smoke all day
    Donuts pizza a couple sodas and stretch out jerk off and some pasta for dinner
    Watch TV, troll tinder, post on tgr
    Winning

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

fastfred for prez

getting old is my greatest fear
    doing what ever I can to fight it
    used to pay attention to HR when I was a racer boy, but I don't care anymore as long as it's beating

I tried riding, running, exercising, all that shit, but the ice kept falling out of my drink so fuckit.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    President Trump believes there's only a pre-ordained number of beats your heart is capable of, so he doesn't exercise because it speeds up his heart which means he'll die sooner.

So keep that in mind, I guess.
    Right on man. Injury, especially yours, is so tough to come back from, but as you clearly know, slow and steady wins the race.

So who's pulling the Seinfeld and changing their Levis waist size?

Looks like I quoted the wrong post, but yeah, fuck trump

I wear the same size as I did in high school.
    30” waist for decades. The key is not getting fat in the first place.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I tried riding, running, exercising, all that shit, but the ice kept falling out of my drink so fuckit.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime