Page 1409 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 ... LastLast
Results 35,201 to 35,225 of 45938
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I love my daughter dearly but I gotta get away from her for a bit. Three days straight of only school talk. Assignments, test scores, hates being at a 3.95 gpa….the anxiety this kid has over grades is giving me a metric fuckton of anxiety too. Then her lists of colleges is only Ivy league now out East that her 31 year old guidance counselor says she should only set her sights for. Kid has now pretty much abandoned UW for premed.

I think I’m going to put a call into this lady and give her a piece of my mind regarding reality.
    Setting kids up for potential failure without having a safety net of reasonable schools is completely ridiculous.

Why do we still have useless guidance counselors?
    Does she do drugs? I was like this my freshman year but drugs fixed that pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Does she do drugs? I was like this my freshman year but drugs fixed that pretty quickly.

Nope, no drinking or drugs. Being my kid she seems to have a little interest towards edibles from her comments.
    But she’s seen dad drink and smoke all her life. I’m proud of her.
    And part of me wants her to go out with friends and eat a gummy.
    There’s plenty of time for that.

Oh yeah we made it to our destination

As long as we're ranting...

Math.
    Can someone tell me why if you're not an engineering (or CS or math-major) destined kid we have you take calculus in high school? Or trig? I am a fairly technical guy - do lots of esoteric stuff. But I've NEVER ever needed to do anything other than the most simple trigonometry, and I've hardly *ever* used anything more than a very basic polynomial. (And in both cases, I had to look up what Sin(x) was - is that opposite over adjacent or opposite over hyp, or noodle around with my polynomial to make sense of what I needed to do.)

And even when I needed trig/or basic calculus - it was to solve some stupid question I had - like "How tall do you think that tree is?! Like I can totally see spending two weeks on Trig. Give the basics - sin, cos, tan. That's it. But frigging trigonometric identities? Seriously?

Yet we're pushing kids that aren't going into any technical fields to do precalc and calc in high-school.

I think we don't do enough STEM stuff in school myself. But pushing kids into learning trigonometric identities (for example) certainly isn't giving them any real, practical knowledge that's going to help them decide on a STEM field - IMO, just the opposite.

There's plenty of time to do more esoteric math once someone's decided on a STEM direction - but IMO, not for 90+% of most high-school students.

I just see us pushing the boundaries of what we teach (which can be great), and rather than looking for practical things we push a ton of kids to do pre-calc and calc (who generally have no interest in math or engineering, or other serious technical fields.) and then do nuts things like trigonometric identities. (Just to name one example I've seen first hand.)

If you’ve never used trig or calc you aren’t technical

My math classes sure did me well in my out of college land surveying days. I took it all, did well and it helped immensely.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    As long as we're ranting...

Math.
    Can someone tell me why if you're not an engineering (or CS or math-major) destined kid we have you take calculus in high school? Or trig? I am a fairly technical guy - do lots of esoteric stuff. But I've NEVER ever needed to do anything other than the most simple trigonometry, and I've hardly *ever* used anything more than a very basic polynomial. (And in both cases, I had to look up what Sin(x) was - is that opposite over adjacent or opposite over hyp, or noodle around with my polynomial to make sense of what I needed to do.)

And even when I needed trig/or basic calculus - it was to solve some stupid question I had - like "How tall do you think that tree is?! Like I can totally see spending two weeks on Trig. Give the basics - sin, cos, tan. That's it. But frigging trigonometric identities? Seriously?

Yet we're pushing kids that aren't going into any technical fields to do precalc and calc in high-school.

I think we don't do enough STEM stuff in school myself. But pushing kids into learning trigonometric identities (for example) certainly isn't giving them any real, practical knowledge that's going to help them decide on a STEM field - IMO, just the opposite.

There's plenty of time to do more esoteric math once someone's decided on a STEM direction - but IMO, not for 90+% of most high-school students.

I just see us pushing the boundaries of what we teach (which can be great), and rather than looking for practical things we push a ton of kids to do pre-calc and calc (who generally have no interest in math or engineering, or other serious technical fields.) and then do nuts things like trigonometric identities. (Just to name one example I've seen first hand.)
    They should teach compounding interest in like 5th grade. And maybe some simple accounting.

I don't use trig or calc in my day to day, but I know plenty of people who do. I think the issue with the math / science curriculum is you don't learn anything applied in high school. If there were some exposure to computer science / programming and then you realized "oh, I have to learn this more complex math to do something I enjoyed trying" then it'd be less of a stretch for students to be engaged.

I also think that thinking the only use for school is to turn kids into little worker bees is wrong. Who cares if they don’t use it everyday, getting good with numbers is valuable. Not being afraid of math is valuable. Learning how to learn is valuable. If we said the same shit about reading as we did about math, it would sound ridiculous. I never had to diagram a sentence in my professional life, but learning that certainly made me a more well rounded human.

To beat China.
    Because it trains your mind to think logically and analytically.
    Because it's fun.
    Because some kids might never find out they like math and are good at it if they didn't take more advanced courses
    Because understanding some of the math behind scientific pronouncements teaches us to trust those pronouncements more than if they are just stated without explanation.
    To beat China.
    I do think that at some point kids should be able to opt into a skill based education--building trades, car mechanics, etc but not until they've had a chance to explore academics pretty thoroughly. The next Einstein may be some working class or poor kid or even a MAGA kid who gets a chance to use their math brain. OTOH all the college and grad school kids ought to have a chance to do trades in school. Our plumbing contractor could have saved a lot of money if he'd figured out he wanted to be a plumber before he was half way through dental school.

Despite being a STEM major I think 95% of people would be better off taking statistics in high school rather than calculus. Outside of hard science and engineering you don't often need to solve a PDE, but basic understanding of probability and statistics (including at least the concept of Bayesian inference) is important for daily life. (Read the vaccination thread for examples.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    They should teach compounding interest in like 5th grade. And maybe some simple accounting.
    This......and you can add balancing a checkbook, signing your name in cursive, and being able to tell time on a clock.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Despite being a STEM major I think 95% of people would be better off taking statistics in high school rather than calculus. Outside of hard science and engineering you don't often need to solve a PDE, but basic understanding of probability and statistics (including at least the concept of Bayesian inference) is important for daily life. (Read the vaccination thread for examples.)
    Should have to take stats AND calc in school.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    This......and you can add balancing a checkbook, signing your name in cursive, and being able to tell time on a clock.
    My Venmo balances itself, DocuSign has its own cursive and my iWatch says it is 9:07.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Should have to take stats AND calc in school.
    My kids took both those in HS... though I don't think either was required.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    My kids can tell analog time. But fuck no can’t write cursive.

Common core dropped cursive in favor of keyboarding.
    As if there will be keyboards in ten years.

And yet cursive is useful. And poetic. And faster than printing. And you can read old timey letters and shit.

We need home Ec. Cooking. Cleaning. Hygiene. First aid. Money management. Fucking kids are so stupid these days.
    One room schoolhouse turned out far more functional human beings back in the day. Long before my day.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I also think that thinking the only use for school is to turn kids into little worker bees is wrong.
    And fuck Thomas the Train too. That little bastard spouting off about being a “useful little engine” and brainwashing pre-K kids is bullshit. I read that book once to my kids when they were young, then threw it away and took them for a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    And fuck Thomas the Train too. That little bastard spouting off about being a “useful little engine” and brainwashing pre-K kids is bullshit. I read one of those books to my kids when they were young then threw it away and took them for a hike.
    Ringo Starr is the antichrist?

I never minded thomas. Fucking Barney and tele tubbies suck ass
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My kids took both those in HS... though I don't think either was required.
    It's not normal here, but it's doable. Thing #2 managed to graduate with AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC (online), and statistics (from Saint Michael's College when he was 13 in their summer program). Thing #3 is taking AP Calc AB now and plans to take AP Stats as a senior. He doesn't like online and that's the only way to get AP Calc BC at our HS. He does sports and works so he doesn't want to commute to take Calc BC equivalent at UVM or St. Mikes. Most kids here take Calc AB as a senior and a very few double up with AP Stats. At least they get enough to offer it. Hopefully. Thing#1 is allergic to math, even though she did take AP Calc. Got an A- in the class and a 2 on the AP exam. Surprisingly stats wasn't required for her undergrad. I thought it was required for all social sciences. She wanted to take it but it never fit into her schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ringo Starr is the antichrist?
    Not the anti-Christ but, he’s no Charlie Watts

And fuck Thomas the Train too. That little bastard spouting off about being a “useful little engine” and brainwashing pre-K kids is bullshit. I read that book once to my kids when they were young, then threw it away and took them for a hike.
    What about Mike Mulligan?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Once his steam shovel got turned into an apartment house boiler, that was pretty much the end of Mike Mulligan.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Car dealerships.
    I hear you. Having just gone through the dealership experience, I can tell you they don't give a fuck and are either incompetent or just liars for the most part. To bad there are not that many FSBO cars out there to deal with rather than the stealerships.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

“You’re causing confusion and delay” is my favorite public method of telling strangers they are being a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    To beat China.
    Because it trains your mind to think logically and analytically.
    Because it's fun.
    Because some kids might never find out they like math and are good at it if they didn't take more advanced courses
    Because understanding some of the math behind scientific pronouncements teaches us to trust those pronouncements more than if they are just stated without explanation.
    To beat China.
    I do think that at some point kids should be able to opt into a skill based education--building trades, car mechanics, etc but not until they've had a chance to explore academics pretty thoroughly. The next Einstein may be some working class or poor kid or even a MAGA kid who gets a chance to use their math brain. OTOH all the college and grad school kids ought to have a chance to do trades in school. Our plumbing contractor could have saved a lot of money if he'd figured out he wanted to be a plumber before he was half way through dental school.
    “Trades” often have had more practical use for basic calc and lower math than “STEM” on a post-school daily basis. People use 5% of what they learned in school, the question is which 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Buy gas in a can for your chainsaw.
    It smells good for huffing. But it also works so much better than the ethanol crap.
    And a few tankfulls will clean your carb and jets.
    Why wouldn’t you just buy ethanol free gas at the pump?