Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Start with the Discoverers; you'll be hooked.

Btw, have you read "1491" by Mann? If not, go get it.

just ordered on kindle- bonus- also fairly cheap at 7 bucks- thanks!
    skid luxury

Enjoy!

about 2/3rds way through "Long Strange Trip." Good book even if you're not a deadhead, in that it goes into a lot of detail and background on the late 60s music festivals, Hait-Asbury and Hippies which I find facinating.
    "Can't you see..."

I’m just finishing volume 2 (out of five) of Gale Ontko’s masterpiece, “Thunder Over the Ochoco”. If you like history, specifically western American or Native American, this is a must read. A+.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I just started "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. I'm kind of going in with a bad attitude about it, but I figure it's probably worth reading. I haven't seen the movie yet, either.
    Just cathing up on this thread. I just read Wild a few months ago and enjoyed it - I thought there was some great writing, though not particular mountain or outdoor focused.

Reading "My Promised Land" about the foundation of Israel and how it is now, and it's really good. Only up till the 1940s and the whole situation seems complicated already.

I'm reading Brian Mclcellan blood and powder trilogy and it is pretty good.

For a Fantasy book I just finished Oathbringer from Brandon Sanderson. Long book and not as good as the first two in the series to me, but still a pretty good book. The author can really build a world.

I just finished James Bond: An Authorized Biography by John Pearson.

Name:  43792216.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  121.3 KB

This was the first post-Ian Fleming authorized James Bond novel.
    It's an interesting conceit in that the author treats Bond as a real person and interviews him in Jamaica, filling in the gaps between all of the Fleming novels.
    In many ways I enjoyed it more than most of the Fleming adventures (with, perhaps, the exception of The Spy Who Loved Me, which, fwiw, Pearson seems to diss in his "autobiography"). The writing is a bit cleaner and more modern than the Fleming books (rightfully so, since this novel was released in the '70s, some 10 years after the last published Fleming Bond book).
    It also has an incredibly gonzo nuts ending which would have made for a great jumping off point for a new Bond series of books (I poked around online and read that Pearson turned down the opportunity to write another Bond book...never stated why, but it's kind of a shame, imho).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

just finished Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III

enjoyed it

next up, When Giants Walked The Earth-A Biography of Led Zeppelin

Oh that Owsley book looks good, thanks for the heads up.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Read "Cadillac Desert" for the deepest analysis of the issue ever. Dense reading, but so thorough.
    should be required reading for any one living west of the Mississippi

Would love to see a 2020 edition/update.

He's been dead for almost 20 years, an update by Reisner ain't happening.

for semi-vintage espionage/espionage parody the Trevanian books are ok/the Shibumi update by Don Winslow "satori" ain't bad,.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    He's been dead for almost 20 years, an update by Reisner ain't happening.

Thanks JONG, meant would love to see a look at the degrading water situation in the West by another author. CD is essential, if a bit dated

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Oh that Owsley book looks good, thanks for the heads up.

easy reading and very interesting

did you read John Perry Barlow: Mother American Night? i read that over the summer and couldn't put it down.

about 20 pages into Where the Crawdads Sing and it's starting out strong. gotta thing for the carolina coast going back to ruark/Old Man and the Boy. and no it's not about the founding of NAMBA, just a good homey read about hunting and fishing and growing up poor and happy
    "Can't you see..."

The last stand of the Tin Can Sailors

also

Neptunes Inferno

Might've been mentioned already, but Bad Blood is pretty good (in a slow moving train wreck kind of way). Currently half way through.

If you liked Cadillac Desert, read Rivers of Empire by Worster. Covers similar terrain (literally) but with a different perspective.

Shantaram. Man escapes Australian Prison and becomes slum doctor in Bombay, then does time in Bombay prison only to get released and becomes part of the Indian Mafia. Great page turner.

And even better is Papillon. More prison breaks and adventures. It is the Endurance of prison escapes. Was also a movie with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman but read it first.

Both are based on true stories.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Might've been mentioned already, but Bad Blood is pretty good (in a slow moving train wreck kind of way). Currently half way through.

If you liked Cadillac Desert, read Rivers of Empire by Worster. Covers similar terrain (literally) but with a different perspective.
    You've probably already read if you liked the Cadi Desert, but the Emerald Mile about the Colorado river/ Grand Canyon has a lot of good info about water rights, dams etc too

bad blood looks good- need to pick that up. also on the blood note recently read Nine Pints by Rose George about the blood industry. I wanted to barf a couple times but I couldn't stop reading

another recent weird but really good one was "Tubes" about the physical infrastructure of the internet- the cables and tubes and sh*t. Good read
    skid luxury

I'm most of the way through NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub And Other Stories. Let's just say it's going to be a different reading experience than A Long Strange Trip (which I have on my shelf but haven't read yet). Perhaps a bit more along the lines of On The Road With The Ramones (which I have read), except that these NOFXers were way the fuck more out there, in terms of lifestyle, no offense to Joey & the gang (okay, Dee Dee was pretty out there). I mean, how is it possible that the Ramones are nearly all dead, and these guys are all still alive?

Anyway, a good tale about ongoing survival and unlikely success, and a peek into the dark side of punk.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    The River Why by David James Duncan. This book is awesome, at times hilariously funny, then deadly serious, then deeply profound. It is one of the best novels I've read. If you are a fisherman, or a philosopher, or are a human being, it with likely reach you on a deep level. It's about pursuing one's sole purpose. I wish I could read it for the first time again.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

“Why We Sleep” by Matthew Walker

“Beyond Weird” by Philip Ball

Two excellent reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    The River Why by David James Duncan. This book is awesome, at times hilariously funny, then deadly serious, then deeply profound. It is one of the best novels I've read. If you are a fisherman, or a philosopher, or are a human being, it with likely reach you on a deep level. It's about pursuing one's sole purpose. I wish I could read it for the first time again.
    Funny, a friend just gave me a copy, and I put it in my donate-to-the-library pile, since I rarely read novels. I’ll put it in my read-next pile...